Flying with an Epi-pen?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by MDTerp, Jul 16, 2011.

1. MDTerp

MDTerp Mouseketeer

We are headed to Barcelona on Monday for our Med Cruise and I just realized this is my first trip with an Epi-pen. Does anyone have experience with TSA or BCN screening with one in your carry-on? Do I need anything special? TIA

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. woodleygrrl

woodleygrrl Lawyer to the Stars

I fly with one everytime I fly. There is no need to do anything special. you can simply keep it in your purse/carry on and the TSA is familiar with what they are.

Jennifer

4. GeneMachine

GeneMachine Mouseketeer

I leave them in the box with the Rx sticker on it, and put them in my carry-on. I have never been questioned or stopped. My belt sets off more alarms! :laughing:

5. kaseyC

kaseyC Mom to 3 lovely Princesses

Yes, that's exactly what we do. DD(15) carried one of hers in her carry on bag when we traveled to Barcelona. I carried an extra one for her in my carry on. No issue at all.

6. joestein

joestein Mouseketeer

We simply put it in the carry on bag, but notify the person working the xray machine that we have an epi-pen in the bag.

Joe

7. daipp

daipp Proud to be Welsh

I have flown with an Epi-pen around Europe and to the States for many years. I mention it at check-in and there has never been any problem whatsoever.

David

8. LKFan

LKFan DIS Veteran

Same here.... We've traveled with an Epi-Pen for years. Depending on the airport, sometimes we mention it, sometimes we don't. We've never been stopped.

On a side note, the one time we were stopped by TSA is when we packed all of our chargers (cell phones, MP3 players, lap top, power strip, etc) in one bag. I assume all of those wires looked suspicious when going through the x-ray machine. :rotfl:

9. mytripsandraces

mytripsandraces DIS Veteran

I have had the same experience in the States and Europe, but when I went to Hong Kong (with the prescription and a note in Chinese and English about why I needed it) last year, on my return flight, the pilot decided it was too dangerous to have on the plane (because he didn't know what the liquid was - as if he knows the contents of everyone else's carry-on liquid containers) and my choice was to get off the plane or give up my Epipen. Of course, I had to give up my Epipen and, of course, they served food I was allergic to. When I complained about the $75 cost to replace it, I was sent a $50 voucher for future travel on Cathay (which I was flying on an American Airlines code-share). I now travel with a copy of the prescription and the box, but will also clear it with the airline before I travel to Asia again.