Flying with a lap baby on Southwest Airlines

carlypaigesmom

Mouseketeer
Everything I read says that the only thing I need to do is get a boarding pass once we get to the airport for the baby verifying that she is under 2 years of age. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm just trying to make sure I don't need to call them and tell them ahead of time. Thanks for your help!

You should call and tell them you have a lap child. And you'll need a birth cert or immunization records with her birth date. Disney wouldn't let me check in, the rest of my party was ok. I just had to stop at the airport on the way home and check in there.

Edited: You'll be able to do online check in but most likely not curbside.

And you'll need a birth cert or immunization records with her birth date.
There used to be a show "Airline" that followed Southwest workers doing their day-to-day job. A recurring story was 'the family' that 'forgot' to bring documentation. Some of the kids looked like freshmen in college...

In all seriousness, I think there are times where workers are required to verify the age of every lap child, no matter how obviously under the age of two the baby is. Bringing a birth certificate is the top item on the checklist that Southwest has on its website for traveling with a baby.

I carry a copy of it in the diaper bag. DH and I both have pictures of it on our phone. And I keep a copy of it in my cloud!

If you go to the FAQs on the Southwest site you can locate the procedures in regards to a lap child. I know they have a process where you can mail them your child's credentials in advance which will help you out in the long run and save you time & frustration in the airport.

There used to be a show "Airline" that followed Southwest workers doing their day-to-day job. A recurring story was 'the family' that 'forgot' to bring documentation. Some of the kids looked like freshmen in college...

In all seriousness, I think there are times where workers are required to verify the age of every lap child, no matter how obviously under the age of two the baby is. Bringing a birth certificate is the top item on the checklist that Southwest has on its website for traveling with a baby.

That's what Southwest states, but they really just need some sort of verifiable proof of age. My kid flew on Southwest as a lap infant a couple of times with my wife, and all she brought along was my kid's US passport card. I called ahead and asked if that was acceptable for that purpose. I think a passport or state ID would work. I got my kid a state ID at a DMV office. It was odd too since they didn't have a stool, and their camera wouldn't lower enough for a good shot. I had to prop up my kid on my knee and do what I could to stay out of the photo.

Every so often over on flyertalk hysteria breaks out when the person with a "baby in arms" can't get on a plane without proof so bring SOMETHING regardless of how small the kid is.

My favorite was a Delta flight years ago where the mom and dad just kept telling the agent "he's under two" (Yeah right, this was the most advanced two year old ever!) So finally the agent squats down to the kids level and asks "how old are you?" Kid happily holds up 4 fingers and says FOUR! BUSTED! LOL! Mom got on, Dad and kid stayed behind.

Probably not what you want to hear, but speaking from experience, it's SOOOO much easier to buy a seat for the child. My DD has been flying since she was about a year old and having her own seat made the whole flight much less stressful on everyone. She felt like a big girl, had room to move and I wasn't stressed about her getting on people's nerves or squirming in my lap the entire flight. We could both enjoy drinks and snacks and more often than not, we would put the arm rest up between us and she was lay over my lap and fall asleep.

Last edited:
Every so often over on flyertalk hysteria breaks out when the person with a "baby in arms" can't get on a plane without proof so bring SOMETHING regardless of how small the kid is.

My favorite was a Delta flight years ago where the mom and dad just kept telling the agent "he's under two" (Yeah right, this was the most advanced two year old ever!) So finally the agent squats down to the kids level and asks "how old are you?" Kid happily holds up 4 fingers and says FOUR! BUSTED! LOL! Mom got on, Dad and kid stayed behind.

:laughing: (In Nelson's voice from the Simpsons) I wonder if dad bought a ticket for the kid for the next flight, or they just let mom take the trip alone.

Probably not what you want to hear, but speaking from experience, it's SOOOO much easier to buy a seat for the child. My DD has been flying since she was about a year old and having her own seat made the whole flight much less stressful on everyone. She felt like a big girl, had room to move and I was stressed about her getting on people's nerves or squirming in my lap the entire flight. We could both enjoy drinks and snacks and more often than not, we would put the arm rest up between us and she was lay over my lap and fall asleep.

My kids never flew until they were about 4, but if it was vital to take them somewhere, I would have purchased an extra seat even if they were still infants. Lap child on a airplane vs. an extra couple hundred bucks for more space. Easy decision.

Probably not what you want to hear, but speaking from experience, it's SOOOO much easier to buy a seat for the child. My DD has been flying since she was about a year old and having her own seat made the whole flight much less stressful on everyone. She felt like a big girl, had room to move and I wasn't stressed about her getting on people's nerves or squirming in my lap the entire flight. We could both enjoy drinks and snacks and more often than not, we would put the arm rest up between us and she was lay over my lap and fall asleep.

I always bought seats for all of my kids, even the infants. They are much safer in their own seats than in your lap. If you've ever experienced severe turbulence, you'd think twice about not having the infant in a car seat during the flight.

Everything I read says that the only thing I need to do is get a boarding pass once we get to the airport for the baby verifying that she is under 2 years of age. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm just trying to make sure I don't need to call them and tell them ahead of time. Thanks for your help!

Yes you do need to tell them ahead of time. Then when you get to the airport have the BC or acceptable ID ready just as you would for yourself. We did use curbside for our flights with no problem. I took my DD and GD last March and the curbside guy took our ID and luggage and told us to wait inside while he checked us in because it was so cold out. Does it get any better than that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter