Flying toasters

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Ish&DrJones, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Ish&DrJones

Ish&DrJones Earning My Ears

I know this is probably a stupid question, and I'm sure I know the answer, but I promised DH that I'd ask.

Do any of the non-suite, non-DVC rooms at AKL have toasters? We're planning to bring Pop Tarts for breakfast to save money and DH wants to bring our toaster with us because he doesn't want to eat them cold ... which would be fine, except we're flying! I told him that he can't pack the toaster, it's too heavy (and bulky). Not to mention they'd probably think it was a bomb and arrest him. He just said "I'll make room". Sigh.

I know you can ship things to yourself, but DH wouldn't go for that. He'll want it the day we fly and then as soon as we get there. I've also told him there are probably toasters in the food areas (where people buy breakfast) but he doesn't like the idea of a "communal" toaster :scared:

Is there any way to have a toaster in the room, other than bringing/shipping it myself? And if not, any suggestions on how to placate my insane husband and his toasting obsession?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. jel0511

jel0511 DIS Veteran

There are no toasters in any non DVC room and I don't believe they're allowed, hence the "communal" toasters in food courts.

4. Ish&DrJones

Not allowed? Hmm, well that will put a damper on DH's packing plans anyway. I guess cold pastries or communal toasters it is :rolleyes:

5. Lisann

Lisann Wishin' I was there.

If it doesn't fit, and you have a rental car, you can just pick one up at a store on your way to WDW. Seems that if you shipped one, you would be spending almost as much in postage, right?

I don't know how he will fit it in the suitcase.

6. Chantilly

Chantilly Mouseketeer

Or you could pack a roll of waxed paper. The rooms have an iron and board. Sandwich the Tart between two sheets of waxed paper and press gently with the iron on its lowest setting. :love:

It's a little more involved than toasting but just as tasty! Just don't use steam and use only the very gentlest pressure!

And no, I'm not joking. We weren't allowed toasters in our college dorm rooms, either.

7. peel

peel DIS Veteran

Yeah, didn't you ever see Mr. Mom? Be resourceful! :lmao:

8. bgbodnar

bgbodnar Mouseketeer

There are toasters in the food area that you can use. If he doesn't like that idea, try those cereal bars, my grandkids love them, thats what I'm going to go.

9. TimmyP

TimmyP Earning My Ears

Chantilly:

For your idea, you deserve a "BRILLIANT!" (per the Guiness commercials)!

:thumbsup2

10. KJ Luvs Pluto

KJ Luvs Pluto DIS Veteran

Before going through the trouble of packing a toaster, I would check with the resort to see if they are allowed in the room. I think toasters are considered a fire hazard, that's why they do not have them in the rooms only in the food courts. At least you would be able to tell your husband "Sorry sweetie - you'll have to eat them cold or toast them at the community toaster" :rolleyes1

11. Chantilly

Chantilly Mouseketeer

Thanks! It was an idea born of desperation.

Mmmmmm.....Guinness...... :drinking1

12. MiamiBeach

MiamiBeach Mouseketeer

Only a husband would insist on bringing the family toaster on vacation!! It's just the sort of hare-brained idea MY husband would come up with. You have my sympathies:flower3:

13. cigar95

cigar95 DIS weakest link

I thought this was a thread about old screen savers.

(Don't worry if you don't have a clue what I'm talking about!)

14. simonkodousek

simonkodousek 438 Miles From My Happy Place

If you'll have a rental car while you are in Florida, you can go to a Wal-Mart and pick one up very cheaply, then just leave it in the room after you leave. :)

If that is not an option, I would use the food court's toasters.

15. mathgeek

mathgeek DIS Veteran

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

16. autumnbaby9

autumnbaby9 DIS Veteran

Why do I keep picturing Johnny Depp, an iron and grilled cheese.

I think I may have to try this :rotfl:

17. Wendi2000

Wendi2000 DIS Veteran

OK... definitely tell him that he is insane... hahaha!!! Why won't he use the toaster in the Mara? If anyone threatened to pack a crumb-filled toaster in my luggage I'd probably "forget" the Pop Tarts at home just to sabatage their evil plans!!! Maybe you should just bring cereal instead - you can grab a big milk in the giftshop for a snack credit (if you're on the dining plan) or probably less than the cost of the Pop Tarts anyway. What about instant oatmeal? You can make hot water in the coffee pot...

18. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - b

Or pack a good strong magnfying glass and request a room with direct early morning sun on the balcony.

19. ExtinctDino

ExtinctDino Mouseketeer

1. Toast them at the food court.
    2. Eat them raw.
    3. Heat them with a hair dryer.
    4. Try going a few days without Pop Tarts.

20. Ish&DrJones

Do they sell soy milk in the gift shops/food areas? If so, cereal wouldn't be bad, but Pop Tarts are sooo much easier (can carry them to the bus stop).

I told Dh about the iron idea and he looked at me like I was nuts. I told him, it's the iron, cold pastries or a communal toaster, your choice. There will be no appliances in the luggage! I think he's accepted it, if a bit stubbornly.:rotfl:

21. harvardx

harvardx Earning My Ears

Hooray for Ish&DrJones! The ironing idea may have convinced him to accept a rational, if less acceptable, alternative. Yes they are a fire hazard! My husband was a fireman and is "phobic" about the placement of our toaster. And yes I have the screen saver.