Flying in at 5:30pm the day before our stay. Value or MCO Hyatt for one night?

Suzanne74

DIS Veteran
We have done this before (arrived at 8pm) and stayed at MCO Hyatt. But now that we are flying in a few hours earlier, I kinda want to hop on ME and get into the magic and be up and out the door for rope drop at MK. Plus the price is $50 cheaper at a value. But the thought of transferring luggage, checking in twice, walking far to/from hotel room for one night, noise at value, possibly not checking into other hotel until later in afternoon (lines, room choice) all make me think it might be better to just stay at MCO Hyatt again. But then it is getting up earlier to get on an ME bus, checking in and then heading off to a park. Makes for a longer morning for the kids.

Ugh, can not decide. We are a family of 4 with two DD's (4,11) We will be staying at SSR for one week and then AoA for 3 nights. The airfare was $70 cheaper per ticket to fly In a day earlier so getting a hotel for an extra night made more sense.

Has anyone done something similar or has an opinion?

DW and I have the same dilemma on our last night for our upcoming 6night/7day trip in September.

BLT 3 nights, AKV 2 nights. 1 night in question.

The 2nd to last day, Magic Kingdom is open till 1am with extra magic hours. Our flight is 6am the next morning... can't decide whether to pay cash price for a value resort, or to stay someone really cheap off-property.

We are flying in around 5:30pm as well. We've decided to stay at Pop for one night, then transfer over to Yacht Club for the next 5 nights,then onto AKL for the last 2 nights. We chose Pop because we're arriving at 5:30 and would like to be on Disney property without paying the price of a deluxe for that first night. It makes sense to us and we really don't mind the moving and checking in. I do wish we could have stayed the entire time at the Yacht Club, but it saves us a little cash this way,so we're going with it. :goodvibes

We have done this before (arrived at 8pm) and stayed at MCO Hyatt. But now that we are flying in a few hours earlier, I kinda want to hop on ME and get into the magic and be up and out the door for rope drop at MK. Plus the price is $50 cheaper at a value. But the thought of transferring luggage, checking in twice, walking far to/from hotel room for one night, noise at value, possibly not checking into other hotel until later in afternoon (lines, room choice) all make me think it might be better to just stay at MCO Hyatt again. But then it is getting up earlier to get on an ME bus, checking in and then heading off to a park. Makes for a longer morning for the kids.

Ugh, can not decide. We are a family of 4 with two DD's (4,11) We will be staying at SSR for one week and then AoA for 3 nights. The airfare was $70 cheaper per ticket to fly In a day earlier so getting a hotel for an extra night made more sense.

Has anyone done something similar or has an opinion?

Use the $280 saving from the airfare and just stay an extra night at SSR if its available (If DVC prob not available). That way you are ready to go, and dont have to worry about moving 3 times.
Last year we arrived at WDW at approx 11:30PM ......... just checked into our resort that we were staying at ........it was a nice feeling not to have to worry about moving rooms the first day of vacation !

If SSR is not available, stay at a value.......the kids will love it. I couldn't stand the thought of staying at the airport for the first night instead of going straight to WDW ! :hyper:

Syndrome

Whether you stay at the MCO Hyatt or go to Disney the first night, either way you still have the hassle of transferring luggage and checking in twice. So I would go directly to Disney and stay on-site. At least Disney will do the luggage transfer for you.

I would do Disney so you can use Magical Express :thumbsup2 We've done this many times and it is an easy transfer to your new resort the next morning.

I would stay directly at Disney. We flew in at about 10 PM in January and got right on ME to check-in at AoA. It was nice to wake up and be ready to go the next morning. Granted- we were staying at AoA all week so didn't have to worry about a resort switch.

Disney Bell Services will be happy to switch your bags from a value to SSR so that will take some trouble out of the matter.

I would do Disney so you can use Magical Express

Not really an issue either way. The OP can use DME whether they go directly to Disney or if they stay the first night at MCO. :)

Not really an issue either way. The OP can use DME whether they go directly to Disney or if they stay the first night at MCO. :)

Sorry, I just saw Hyatt and didn't pay attention. I've stayed there before, it is a fine hotel but I don't like the sounds of planes so I would much prefer to sleep at Disney.

Thanks all. SSR is a timeshare for 1wk. It is a 1 bdrm villa and we got it thru my MIL's timeshare she never uses. The cost of one night is almost the same we are paying for the week. So we would have to check in again anyway. I thought about doing a monorail resort or BC but that is such a tease :( I rather save he money anyway.

I think we are going to do a value. It does make sense. I guess I just really like checking in early and not late two days in a row. My main concern now is checking in and out of a "fun" value. 4yr old will not be happy.

We have done Pop already and loved it. Thinking of maybe of doing Movies this time.

Thanks all. SSR is a timeshare for 1wk. It is a 1 bdrm villa and we got it thru my MIL's timeshare she never uses. The cost of one night is almost the same we are paying for the week. So we would have to check in again anyway. I thought about doing a monorail resort or BC but that is such a tease :( I rather save he money anyway.

I think we are going to do a value. It does make sense. I guess I just really like checking in early and not late two days in a row. My main concern now is checking in and out of a "fun" value. 4yr old will not be happy.

We have done Pop already and loved it. Thinking of maybe of doing Movies this time.

I'd do the value too....just to be on disney property as quickly as possible! And spending the night at MCO may be a bummer when you are hyped up about the trip.

Do AOA in a LM room. At least you can tell your 4yr old you will be going back in few days !

Good luck with your decision, but def. stay at WDW, not the airport :crazy2:

Syndrome

Okay thanks all. My husband does not want to do the value but I will talk him into it :) Maybe POFQ for more bed space.

The LM rooms are so far. Not sure if it is worth it for a night since we will be at AoA later on.

Thanks

I would do a wdw resort the first night. We are staying at pop our first night. We have done a few split stays, and when we do, we get up early the next morning, and grab a cab to take both us, and our luggage to new resort to do early check in, leave luggage with bell service and can still make rope drop.

I would do a wdw resort the first night. We are staying at pop our first night. We have done a few split stays, and when we do, we get up early the next morning, and grab a cab to take both us, and our luggage to new resort to do early check in, leave luggage with bell service and can still make rope drop.

You know, I was thinking of doing this. What is the cost? I would probably do it myself while DH got breakfast with the kids at a value food court, since a family of 4 and luggage would be hard to transport in one taxi. Then we would meet at the bus terminal at MK.

We stayed at the airport Hyatt the first night last time, but we elected to do this because our flight came in at 11:30pm. After a long day of travelling it was nice to just checkin right there and relax. It is a great hotel and very convent. You can still use ME the next morning. However if we were getting in at 5:30pm we would have hopped on the ME and went straight to WDW.

I also recommend (like pp above) just hopping in a cab with your luggage and do the resort swap yourself. It's nice to know all your stuff is already there and the process is completed before you head to the parks.

For my upcoming trip, I did a standard room only at a value on my arrival & departure days, so that I can get everything out of my package. I don't rent a car, so I rely on Disney's Magical Express as transportation to/from the airport. This way I am already onsite and can just grab a cab to my package resort early the next morning, check-in, activate the key and head straight to the parks. The values are pretty inexpensive, and I just enjoy being onsite.

I think you've already come to your decision, but I would agree with PPs about going directly to Disney that night.

Speaking from experience, we drive to WDW and often drive straight through, leaving at 5 AM and arriving in Orlando around 10 PM the day before we check-in. It is so hard to pass right by WDW only to check in a hotel off-site for the night when all I want to do is start my vacation in the cocoon of Disney!!

Whether you stay at the MCO Hyatt or go to Disney the first night, either way you still have the hassle of transferring luggage and checking in twice. So I would go directly to Disney and stay on-site. At least Disney will do the luggage transfer for you.

Yep, Disney will move your luggage if you stay on property that first night! Easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter