Florida's rental vacation homes....

Discussion in 'Orlando Hotels and Attractions' started by daystar, Jun 3, 2006.

1. daystar

daystar Mouseketeer

Has anyone ever rented a florida vacation home??If so how did that work for your family??Where did you rent from??Are they well worth your money??Renting a vacation home a good idea or not??Thanks..

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. isla bonita

isla bonita DIS Veteran

We were introduced to a vacation home thru my mom who for her 60 bday she took the whole family.

My reaction was to tell my6 husband to bring a clean credit card because when I have had enough we are out of there. Turns out it was one of our best vacations go figure. Even my husband enjoyed and he was an outlaw.

What we loved.

1. had our own room and now we have a 5 year old souvie LOL
    2. own rest room for our family
    3. laundry
    4. close to parks right off 192
    5. own transportation, never use disney buses again ever even while staying onsite
    6. own pool no strangers with our kids
    7. built in sitters for each other
    8. could shop with fellow shoppers
    9. ate at different restaurants
    10. kids had play mates to have fun with not that mom and dad are not fun but...
    11. lots for your $$$
    12. had snack and drinks any time we wanted
    13. had breakfast in the house every morning saved $$ and was healthy
    14. while dressing children were entertained by toys, tv's and other family members
    15. had everything we could want in the home for our convience
    16. pool towels did not have to be packed
    17. extra cloths did not have to be packed
    18. could nap, if needed with out all being quiet or dark
    19. had some one to chat with while watching the kids in the pool

It turned out so good we have now owned one for almost 2 years. Our children, friends and family have wonderful memories. It has been the single thing other then my children that I feel has given me a reason to live.

Some say they loose the magic when not on Disney property. But not us we make our own magic all the time we are there.

Just so you know it is not for every one. It is not an experience I can compare it with. Its just very different type of vacation.

If you try it and do not enjoy it you never have to do it again. Thats how I tried camping. I will just never go again. I will not elaborate but lets just say me and the out doors are just not a good fit. LOL

4. minnie29uk

minnie29uk DIS Veteran

I'm biased,but staying in a vacation home is great for us when we go to Disney.
    Its great to have all that space and our own private pool for the privacy.
    I like to do alot of my own cooking and be able to freeze lots of bottles of water for the next day at Disney - so having a fully fitted kitchen does the job!!

There are lots of lovely vacation rentals out there.Enjoy your hunt
    You can try www.lastminutevillas.net

Lynn :cool1:

5. JANNYANS

JANNYANS DIS Veteran

Having tried both I found hotels fine when my children were small but one they hit the time they needed their privacy then a home was the answer .Loved it so much we got one and have owned for 8 years,
    Like the others we love the space and freedom it offers and even when travelling ot other places prefer homes to hotels now.True there are no perks like room service or daily maid service but we don't mind that .

It isn't for everybody some people see it as just like being at home but thats what I like - the home from home feeling and I don't do house work I can assure you :)
    As for value for money I don't think they can be beaten just work it our per head per day and see if it is going to work for you.
    Give it a shot you never know until you try .

6. hollyb

hollyb DIS Veteran

DH and I are really happy to see this thread. We have decided to rent a home for our vacation. We have 2 small children, we think this will work out great. We have a few questions.

1. who do we call to rent one?
    2. how far in advance should we call?
    3. downpayment?
    4. how much is a good price to pay?

7. minnie29uk

minnie29uk DIS Veteran

Hi Holly,
    You find the home you want,then contact the owner straight away.Either by phoning or e-mail.You will find contact details on a website
    If there is availability,you will need to pay a deposit straight away to secure your dates.Usually £100/$150 a week
    Price will depend on your dates

Happy hunting,
    Lynn

8. JANNYANS

JANNYANS DIS Veteran

Try putting out inquiries to any or all of the following sites

WWW.Orlandovillas.com
    www.Disneypremiervillas.com
    www.Floridapremiumvillas.com
    and you will get replies from owners who have your dates available .

How far in advance depends -if you find a home that has all you want then book it as soon as you can as it may get booked up and you will miss it .
    Downpayment depends oin the owner-some have a set amount -others do a % of the rental .

Price -depends on when you go -home facilities and location.

Good luck

9. lvdsny

lvdsny Earning My Ears

We stayed in a vacation home years ago and also decided to buy one.

You can also put inquiries out for: www.vacationhomes.com
    and www.vacationrentals.com

Most homeowners are happy to answer all questions you have. Have a great time on your trip! :sunny:

Mary

10. Yoga Deb

Yoga Deb Earning My Ears

We always stay in a home, not just in Florida but in Spain, Portugal, wherever we go. A vacation home just gives you and your family more choice and more quality relaxation time. WDW is a fabulous place but it's also exhausting!!! When we leave the parks we cant wait to get back to our own pool!
    Because you're not confined to one room everyone in the family can do their own thing watch tv, swim, sleep, read, play, eat.
    I know some argue that they dont want to do any housework or they like housekeeping to make their bed. But there's very little you have to do in a vacation home, you can still eat out for every meal if you want to and if you dont want to make the bed then dont :)
    We want a luxury vacation and for us luxury is having a least the same amount of space and facilities that we have at home, although in most vacation homes we have more :thumbsup2

11. Wife&Mom

Wife&Mom Earning My Ears

We stayed at The Star Florida Villa. I don't have enough posts to put in web addresses, but I'm sure you can figure it out :rolleyes1(starfloridavilla). The pictures don't do it justice. It is owned by a couple from England. They were great to deal with. Very honest, quick to return our deposit, very honest in all our dealings. The house was wonderful! It's only about a year old, beautifully decorated. Very well stocked. We loved everything about it.

1) We had our own pool and spa, which were screened to keep out bugs.
    2) We had 4 bedrooms, so each person had their own (except DH & I, we shared :love: )
    3) We had our 2 DDs (15 & 6) with us plus oldest DD's best friend. Each girl had her own bedroom.
    4) We had 3.5 baths. Oldest DD and her best friend shared a bath(so they could talk about boys :lovestruc !)
    5) Master bedroom and bath overlooked the pool area, so mom and dad could have time alone, but still watch over the kids.
    6) There is a door from the pool area into the powder room so no tracking water through the house. From the powder room you can go straight to the laundry room to drop off wet suits and towels.
    7) We had the aforementioned laundry room so we could wash swimsuits, beach towels, clothes, whatever necessary.
    8) The house was large enough for everyone to have their own "space" to get away from everyone else. That was a blessing. I don't see how we can ever stay in a hotel again.
    9) The drive to DW was only about 15 minutes. Not really a problem. Our last trip we stayed at FW campground. Getting to the parks from there was about the same amount of time, counting walking from the camper to the dock or bus.
    10) Master bathroom was Huge! 2 sinks, separate shower, huge tub. DH and I weren't bumping into each other.
    11) We had a huge kitchen stocked with all the essesntials. Made our own breakfasts and lunches, cutting down on expenses.
    12) All of the bedrooms had their own cable tv, so no fighting over the tv.

I am now officially spoiled! This was a rare vacation where everyone didn't get on each other's nerves. We could all spread out and relax and get away from each other when necessary. I only wish we could stay in a house on every vacation.

Terry

12. hollyb

hollyb DIS Veteran

Wife&Mom do know what number you stayed at?

I was told that if the site says its a 15 minute drive expect to drive 30 t0 45 because of traffic. Did you find that to be true?

Thanks

13. Blondiex46

Blondiex46 Stayin in the park next time 2010

thanks again that is alot of information to get through, we aren't going until next year

14. psriv76

psriv76 Earning My Ears

Hi,

You can find some interesting and clean Vacation homes to choose from at this Website.

They have a variety of Homes, Villas, Town Homes to choose from for all parties.

Visit springvacationrentals

They have a 1 - 8 Bedrooms Homes to choose form. I will rent through them, everytime i go.

15. JohnnySharp2

JohnnySharp2 No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a

We also rent a villa each year.

The extra room, privacy and freedom cannot be beat.
    You get the opportunity to relax more and with a young son he can play in the pool whenever he wants.
    If you have had a busy day and want to rest in the afternoon or sit by the pool, then you can, without the restriction of being in a cramped hotel room.

Having cooking facilities is a big plus too as you can eat what you want when you want, although it's nice to eat out too for a change, you can also visit say Chick-Fil-A or KFC and bring the food back to the villa.

Having a TV/VCR/DVD available is also great for our young son - we bring our own US format tapes&discs for him.
    Staying just off the 192 means you are close to all the attractions and within easy reach of supermarkets and restaurants.

Downsides? Just 1....in our case Joshua can be quite tired later in the day and often is more than happy just to play in the pool or watch TV, which is not necessarily a bad thing as long as he is happy but often we do not get out as often as we would like in the evening, having no entertainment on-site as it were can mean you are a bit restricted sometimes, especially as you have to drive everywhere.

So this coming August we are staying at Disney's Boardwalk for part of our 3 week holiday, that way we get a bit of everything.

Ultimately it can to a degree depend on what sort of vacation you want, many people I know wouldn't dream of cooking and just eat out at restaurants. Also many too like to stay on-site at Disney or Universal.
    However, I think that the majority who do rent a villa would never go back to a hotel again.

16. hollyb

hollyb DIS Veteran

I was shocked by the amount of people who are trying to talk us out of renting a house while in Disney. We belive this will be best for our family. The number one reason is the drive back to the house after a day at the parks. They also said we would miss out on the Disney magic.

Still renting house. :cheer2:

17. isla bonita

isla bonita DIS Veteran

I think that not every option such as hotel, on property hotel, rental home ,condo, DVC, or town home is for every vacationer. We all decide what is best for the trip we are taking. The variety is there because not all options fit all vacationers. Have a wonderful time and if you decide it is not to your liking you never have to do it again.

18. psriv76

psriv76 Earning My Ears

You will find some nice Vacation Homes, Town Homes, Villas and condos to rent on ----- springvacationrentals
    I have booked one and had a Great Vacation.

19. Brian Noble

Brian Noble His Curmudgeonly Highness

As long as you are careful about location, the drive back home can be only 5 minutes longer than driving to an on-site hotel, and it can often be *shorter* than taking a Disney bus between a park and hotel.

Here's a good map with subdivision locations:
    http://www.thedibb.co.uk/villa/map.htm

20. hollyb

hollyb DIS Veteran

Do you have a favorite area to stay?

Former MI girl!!!! :) I grew up in MI.

21. Wife&Mom

Wife&Mom Earning My Ears

The address was 445 Kettering Road, Davenport, FL 33896, but the house is so new, it doesn't show up on Google Maps, Yahoo Maps or Mapquest. We didn't find traffic to be that bad. We were only 2 miles down Hwy 27. Maybe we just got lucky, but the drive really wasn't bad. We never tried the "back way" in, so can't tell you how that drive would be.

Terry