1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Flash Diffuser?

Discussion in 'Photography Board' started by mom2rtk, Nov 2, 2012.

1. JoeDif

JoeDif DIS Veteran

I was thinking a larger umbrella would work as well.

Hey if it produces flattering light then the dork factor can be overlooked :thumbsup2

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Shutterbug

Shutterbug Some Say........

revisiting this thread...

I was at the North American International Auto show in Detroit couple weeks back. Some of the manufacturers did have female product spokespersons (models talking about the cars). So this was a good time to practice some use of flash.
    I really didnt get the results I was hoping for.
    In a place like that there are really no walls and the ceiling too high to bounce a flash off of. Plus you are on the move alot or the girls were on moving platform so the flash mounted on the camera is basically all you have to work with. I didn't have any diffuser so many of my flash shots were on the harsh side. So I am going to look into these flash diffusers.
    Question for those that use flash diffusers, how much do you adjust your flash compensation?

4. jimim

jimim DIS Veteran

Here's my input. Just what I do but this has change a bit since moving to manual.

I use a Joe Demb "saucer" the nice thing about it if you don't have a lower ceiling or a surface that is "close to white" you can bend it more forward on the flash and you will get the look you need. Joe told me to dial down my flash a bit when i did this if needed. worked perfect.

The other nice thing is if you need less bounce you can bend it back a bit according to Joe and it works well also.

Also the size of the saucer vs his others gives a nice amount surface area that is needed to give a more natural look.

I also have the collapsible Steve Fong. It gives nice surface area to give a more natural look but I don't think it's as easy to use as Joe's. Maybe it's me too cause I never really gave it a chance. I just love Joe's product.

I have used it for about 3 years now and love it. It lives on my flash and is very easy to use at disney. folds up nice. Waaaaaay smaller than the Steve Fong piece even pushed down.

It really works, but I will say now that i'm shooting manual 100% time while using it things are even better. Even more control now. Before I had to dial down my flash a bit when pointing it forward when needing more fill flash outside for example. Now I just make a quick change to my aperture or my shutter speed and i get even better results.

jimi

Sorry if my wording is not perfect. I'm not the best at getting my thoughts out via type vs talking. lol

5. jimim

jimim DIS Veteran

if you look at my post i have a few answers to your question above. I would adjust my flash output diff for all situations. When i have it bent forward sometimes 1.5 to 2 stops down. and when i don't have a surface to bounce off like outside or high ceilings i bend it forward.

jimi