Fishing in river around OKW

goofydad621

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if I am allowed to fish in the waterways around OKW if I fish catch and release only.
I remember years ago fishing in the river around Alligator Bayou when we stayed there. Front desk told me that it was ok as long as it was catch and release BUT that was 15 years ago and i know things change

Thanks
Dave Goofydad Dionne

Yes, you may fish in the Trumbo Canal. It is still catch and release.

Enjoy! :)

Yes, you may fish in the Trumbo Canal. It is still catch and release.

Enjoy! :)

Where exactly is that? My DS17 and DS15 like to fish in the pond with the fountain across the bridge from the check-in building. We were told that's the only place they can fish. I'm sure they would be very interested in hearing about other fishing spots.

I am curious about this also. What kind of fish are normally caught in this area? We will be there in 2 weeks and again in Oct. , might carry my gear:thumbsup2

That is great news

I bought a rod tube just for this kind of thing, I get up long before the rest of my family so this gives me something to do that I enjoy.

Especially in January, I don't have to cut a hole it th eice before fishing:cool1:

Thansk again

Dave Goofydad Dionne

Just an added thought

I imagine I need to keep an eye open for snakes and gators ?

another difference from fishing in New Hampshire

I was wondering if I am allowed to fish in the waterways around OKW if I fish catch and release only.
I remember years ago fishing in the river around Alligator Bayou when we stayed there. Front desk told me that it was ok as long as it was catch and release BUT that was 15 years ago and i know things change

Thanks
Dave Goofydad Dionne
I don't think there's ever been a formal policy about this released but generally they will allow bank fishing at OKW and FW catch and release.

I don't think there's ever been a formal policy about this released but generally they will allow bank fishing at OKW and FW catch and release.

Exactly and typical Disney, it also depends on what MS person you ask! You never get the same answer twice, about anything!

When my son was little, I saw someone fishing, so I asked MS before buying a rod and was told no! The next morning I saw the same man fishing, I asked him and he told me MS said it was OK.

So, I bought acouple of cheap rods at Walmart and he fished with his uncles and actually caught fish!

Go for it! Don't ask! :thumbsup2

Exactly and typical Disney, it also depends on what MS person you ask! You never get the same answer twice, about anything!

When my son was little, I saw someone fishing, so I asked MS before buying a rod and was told no! The next morning I saw the same man fishing, I asked him and he told me MS said it was OK.

So, I bought acouple of cheap rods at Walmart and he fished with his uncles and actually caught fish!

Go for it! Don't ask! :thumbsup2

Sometimes (and especially when dealing with Disney) it's better to beg foregiveness than to ask permission. ;)

We stayed in building 45 this last thanksgiving right on the canal. Is this Han area you could fish from if you wanted to ? That would be really neat if true
Now that. I think of it. If you rent a pontoon boat can you fish from the boat ? Now that would be awesome

We'll be in WDW Aug 19th-29th. My sons (11 & 13) have really gotten into fishing and want to pick up some gear at Walmart and try a couple of spots. We're staying at Pop, so will probably check out Hourglass Lake, and also plan on trying POR and FW. Can anyone recommend any spots at these Resorts that might be worth trying? Thanks very much for any advise!

One of DH's favorite activities! Seems to be that you can fish until 10 AM, which is when the boats start running.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter