Fish for a non-fish eater?

lelei

Mouseketeer
I have always been a picky eater, and I have always said I don't like fish. I can't specifically remember ever trying it though.

Looking at the resturants and food on this board, it looks like I would really be missing out at Disney if I keep avoiding fish.

My big question is: What should I try to introduce myself to the world of fish? What type of fish would you recommend for someone's first taste? Is there anything I should avoid?

Any mild, white fish, such as tilapia, flounder or orange roughy.

What kind of texture should I expect? I'm not a fan of really creamy stuff. Any specific way I should ask for it cooked?

No they are light and flaky. Cod also has a mild flavor. It is flaky, but in my opinion a little moister. Not creamy, though.

Broiled, baked, fried it's all good.

Just for interest, I eat fish about 4 times a week, and did not like Coral Reef if that is something you are considering.

I am also not a fan of fish. I've never found any I like.

If you want to try fish at WDW, great. But if you don't, I just wanted to you that you can still get good stuff that's "fish free" at the restaurants, even some that specialize in seafood. (My DH loves seafood... and never gets it at home! :D )

Another approach is to aim for something like swordfish... it has the texture of a pork chop (though, of course, no where near as "hard").

Why not go to a local restaurant and order fish. I think many people say "I don't like X" but they have never been exposed to X or eaten X. Go to a quality restaurant that has fresh fish and ask the waiter what is good. Also it isn't just about the fish. Read the way it is prepared and ask if you would like the same preparation on chicken.

Do you eat any seafood? If you haven't ever had any seafood then start off with the easy good stuff: shrimp and scallops.

When we lived in Hawaii, a lot of folks who didn't like fish loved Mahi Mahi (my mom was one). The Coral Reef has a nice mahi mahi, and I'm sure there are some other restaurants too that serve it.

A lot of folks like the fish and chips in England/World Showcase. I would think that texture would be flaky, not mushy, but probably not as meaty as other fish.

Thanks for all the great advice! I actually am planning on trying it locally. With me, I think its more a mental thing than anything else! I think taking the suggestions here will help me get over the "ick" I seem to have implanted in my mind about fish. I'm hoping to be more food adventureous before we head to Disney in Oct.

Oh and I'm also hoping to open up the range of foods my daughter will eat- she kinda mirror's me on things- if I don't like something she will declare she hates it as well. My son on the other hand will try anything (pretty cool for an autistic kid!) and loves fish. I'm hoping we can try one of the seafood resturants and actually enjoy the different stuff on the menu!

My DH's mother is a terrible cook and fish is one of the many, many foods he insisted he hated when I met him. It was easiest for him to start with a fish that she *didn't* make at home (salmon and tuna steak instead of cod) because he didn't have a preconceived notion of how it would be. We're pescatarian, so we eat fish quite a lot--actually we had sushi last night, yum, but that's something to work up to because the texture can be a bit of a shock.

The most popular fishes nowadays are probably salmon, tuna steak [it just means a whole filet rather than the canned stuff people know], mahimahi, and tilapia. Tuna steak is probably the most similar in texture (not taste!) to red meat and is not flaky like other fishes (it's also red, though not quite the same color as steak). I think a good fish 'n' chips is also a good place to start if you like fried foods, but go to someplace that has a good reputation for it, like an Irish pub.

Why bother? Really. If you don't like fish you don't like fish.

Well if the OP is like me her dislike comes from a lack of exposure rather than experience and she'd like to broaden her horizons so to speak. We just didn't grow up eating seafood so I have an aversion to it that has little to do with actual taste.

Now that I have found and tried a few that I enjoy, I have far more options, try restaurants I may not have tried in the past and eat healthier choices which is a good thing:)

I know exactly what you mean! I swore I did not like and would never eat fish until I was almost 30 years old! There was a mental ick factor, like you said, that I finally was able to get over. Now I like Tilapia, cod, orange roughy either breaded and baked or preferrably well seasoned and grilled. I also really love Red Snapper or something comparable blackened and grilled. By blackened I mean it has a spicy season rubbed on then grilled. At Disney the best fish I have ever had was at Boatwrights at POR (I got the blackened red snapper with stewed green tomatoes and a slice of pecan pie for dessert). WOW! :lovestruc The worst fish I had at Disney was at Coral Reef, don't remember what it was but remember it tasting nasty. I really loved the fish and chips at Universal's Royal Pacific (in that case breaded and fried with tartar sauce). In the last few years I have also learned that I like salmon if it is grilled or baked with some kind of butter (garlic butter or parsley butter) and served with a spinach salad (with a sweet vinaigrette, like strawberry or rasberry, feta cheese, and craisins or freshly chopped strawberries or toasted pecans or mandarin oranges, or all of the above). I also really like grilled Tuna steaks that have been seasoned with lemon pepper! No other prep required!
From someone who did not like fish, or thought they did not, I have come a lonnnnggg way!

I like the idea of trying fish locally first. Unless Red Lobster has greatly improved over the last decade, I'd stay away from that one.

If you decide you like fried fish, Cookes of Dublin in DTD makes there fish & chips fresh and also has fried shrimp and scallops that are excellent as well. The TS restaurant right next door, Raglan Road, has fish & chips and a dish called "Its not bleedin chowder", it has cod, shrimp, scallops and mussels with potaoes in a cream broth and was very good in January. The potato wrapped snapper at Flying Fish was also excellent!

Thank you soo much for all the suggestions! Now, I just have to decide which local resturant to try it at.

Its also nice to know I'm not the only who's felt like this! I'm turning 30 in September, and I thought its time for me to get over childhood food trama! My mom was also a horrid cook, which led to me either dowsing stuff in ketchup or avoiding it all together! Her cooking was bad enough to drive kids to put ketchup on carrots even!

Thank you soo much for all the suggestions! Now, I just have to decide which local resturant to try it at.

Its also nice to know I'm not the only who's felt like this! I'm turning 30 in September, and I thought its time for me to get over childhood food trama! My mom was also a horrid cook, which led to me either dowsing stuff in ketchup or avoiding it all together! Her cooking was bad enough to drive kids to put ketchup on carrots even!

Do you live near the ocean? If not, that will have an effect. Frozen fish is not nearly as good as fresher fish. Nowhere in Florida is more than about an hour from the ocean, so getting fresh fish in Florida is almost a given.

I'd also avoid any big chain restaurant like Dead Lobster. Find a local joint. Ask friends and family if they have a place they like.

I would mimic the recommendations of the others: mahi, tilapia, cod, halibut, roughy, basa, swai - all are pretty mild white fish.

Swordfish is stronger - I would not start there.

Salmon is quite strong and definitely to be avoided if you don't like strong fish.

Totally agree with starting with any of the mild white fish suggestions. You don't even really have to go out. Cooking it isn't difficult. Just start with something simple like baking or frying with maybe a light batter. You can even get shake and bake type batters for fish. Tempura is good.

Hope you like it! I love finding new foods I like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter