Fish Extender List for 2.0 - Official Thread CLOSED ***final list posted***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well now if I posted my idea here...it wouldn't be a surprise! :rotfl: (I can say that it's not very expensive though)

Always the overachiever...;)

I'm in a group already too...but depending on the final numbers, it could be fun to be in two groups...

There's always room for more! I think my initial group is full (Jen?), but i'll bet there are lots of other groups! I am considering a redhead group though...nothing $$$ but i've got an idea...

hmmmm, I am a redhead when I go visit my hairdresser.....guess I'll need to save up and visit Devon before the next podcast cruise! Count me in on a redhead group if you get one going!;)

Looks like you're getting some interest, though. Would a PM suffice to help keep the secret?

We're already in a group, but depending on $$$ I could possibly swing a second group.

That's the spirit!!!!!!

And did you post the link or just the entire thing Lori/Rick?

I currently have 12 in my group, but would add 6 more and that's it. 18 will be my limit. We already have an idea in mind, but ideas are always welcome.
Jen, when you get a chance can you PM me a ballpark $$ figure for your group? If you have room and I can swing it, I'd like to join!

That's the spirit!!!!!!

And did you post the link or just the entire thing Lori/Rick?

I posted a link to the post with the whole thing (did that make sense?!?) The feedback already has been terrific!

Ummm, and it's Lori!:cutie:

The Fish Extender
What is a Fish Extender? Where did it come from? What does it mean to me? What if I am terrified of fishes? All these questions and more answered in this episode of SOAP. :happytv:

Background
A fish extender is a “secret Santa” of sorts. The idea is that a group of DISers exchange gifts during a cruise. The first Fish Extender Exchange is said to have been started during a Panama Canal repositioning cruise. It is called a “Fish Extender” because outside of every stateroom there is a fish mounted on the wall. It was put there by DCL as a way to deliver notes without entering your room. Now DISers use it to hang their Fish Extenders. The actual extender is like increasing the size of your mailbox, if you will.
MyFish.jpg

The idea behind fish extenders is: Share some magic with your fellow DISers.Also known as, its better to give that to receive.

Tell Me More
Fish Extenders have all sorts of looks to them, depending on the cruisers tastes, size of family, specific event, and character.
100_0406.jpg

DSC00004-1.jpg

0810100001.jpg

0808022.jpg

tigger.jpg

Important Details
Requirements for your Fish Extender are:
•you are able to hang it from the Fish in the hallway (size requirements and zip ties later)
•it has a pocket or pouch to hold the gifts you will receive
That’s it. Breathe. Relax.

Where Do I Get a Fish Extender?
Some folks make their own Fish Extenders.
Some buy Fish Extenders from places like e-bay.
Others find creative things to use as Fish Extenders.
4467_174524620315_638730315_6795262.jpg

Here are some instructions for sewing your own 'traditional' Fish Extender: Sew it yourself Fish Extender.
Here are some instructions for people that don't/can't sew so well: No-sew Fish Extender

Specifications
The wall that the fish extender is hung on is roughly 8” wide. If you make your extender much wider, it will stick out into the hallway and/or hit your stateroom door.
The fish to hang your extender from is about 5’3” off the floor. When deciding upon a length for your extender, be sure you keep in mind that you will hang it from the fish, which will add overall length to your extender.

What’s With This Zip Tie Business
A zip tie (or cable tie) is a handy piece of equipment to secure your fish extender. We don’t want any fish extender nappings. Let’s face it, even on a Disney Cruise; there are people out there that have deviousness running in their veins. The zip tie helps to deter this. This is an explanation from a fellow DISer:
“If you look at the ribbon on any fish extender (that is what you place over the fish) that is how the "extender" hangs on the fish. It is very easy to just remove the extender by just un-hooking it from the fish. So, you take your zip tie and cinch it around both of the ribbons that are hanging from the fish on both sides... and you cinch the zip tie so that the two ribbons squeeze around the fish making it impossible to remove the extender.”
“The zip-tie goes around the ribbon or string that attaches to the fish... and you place it just under the fish... it actually scoots itself up to the fish as you tighten it... the trick is to leave it NOT so tight so that you can get your scissors or nail clippers thru it when you are ready to take it down.”

Think about it like a Club except instead of securing your cars steering wheel, it holds the strap your fish extender hangs from securely to the fish.

The Magic of Fish Extender Gifts
So what do people put in the Fish Extenders? How often do you deliver gifts? What about kids?
People give all sorts of stuff. Here are some pics of Fish Extender bootie.
10-30-2007-174.jpg
IMG_0444.jpg

053008_0310.jpg

Gifts can be regional in theme.
Gifts can be Disney related.
Gifts can be event specific.
Gifts can represent you.
Gifts can be almost anything.

Delivering your gifts can be a daunting task. The other people that signed up for the Fish Extender exchange will be all over the ship. Walking the ship isn’t too very tough. Walking the ship, carrying your gifts, trying to find specific staterooms—that’s a different story.

Gifts are delivered throughout the day and night, totally dependent upon your schedule. It did seem that there were a lot of deliveries on the first full day aboard the ship.

Some instances a gift is given to each individual. Sometimes it is given to the entire the cabin. Quite often children get special gifts just for them. If your cabin has a roommate situation, where you both are participating in the Fish Extender Exchange, but do not reside together in real life, please state that when you sign up. Each person would then be listed and each person would receive gifts of their own.

Some important things to remember about gifts:
•Some people have food allergies. (i.e. cinnamon, peanuts, coconut, etc.). If you do, please mention that when you sign up for the Fish Extender list.
•Be aware of how much space will be needed to transport your gifts to the ship (and then home again). I ended up shipping a box (15”x15”x15”) full of FE Stuff home.

Groups
Does the thought of purchasing, assembling, transporting and delivering a massive amount of Fish Extender gifts worry or frighten you? Joining a group may be just the solution to your concerns.

A Fish Extender Group is a group of DISers that pool their resources (money, time, creativity) toward a fish extender gift.

Groups do not need any formal association. They can be random DISers that want to join a group. They can be people from a certain state or country. They can be from a demographic (Redheads, Firemen, Teachers, etc.)

One person should act as a group leader, collecting and distributing input from the rest of the group. It is a good idea to e-mail everyone in the group about the group’s gift.

Once a group’s gift is decided upon, the total cost (don’t forget shipping) is divided between the members of the group.
Onboard, it would be easiest to divide up the total number of staterooms participating in the fish extender exchange between members of the group. For example, if there were 180 staterooms participating, and 12 members in your group, each person would deliver 15 gifts.

Miscelaneous
Signing up for the Fish Extender on your cruise should be relatively easy. Whomever is going to head up the task should be able to keep track of the changes throughout the thread and keep record of them, updating the list as necessary.
From time to time, peoples cabin number changes. If this happens to you, please post a note on the thread so the list can be updated. One of the first few posts of the thread should contain the list of participants, their cabin number, number of adults, number (and age) of children, allergies, and special notes.

If for some reason you cabin number changes close to the sail date, or you upgrade your cabin at the port, that information needs to be shared with the rest of the Fish Extender group. The easiest way to do this is to have an update list posted. Someone who signed up for the Fish Extender Exchange should volunteer to do this.
Now here are a few tips:
1) If you can ship your gifts ahead of time, do it - saves so much room in your luggage. Make sure you allow enough time for your package to arrive prior to the start of the cruise. You don't want to get to the ship and discover that your package did not make it to meet you.
2) Be sure you have room in your luggage for the goodies you will receive. I thought I would have so much room in my suitcase since I had given away the goodies I brought; however, I had just as much to take home!
3) If you are talented and can make your gifts - they are so appreciated. All gifts are awesome, and homemade ones are like icing on the cake! ((or the meringue on the pie!!)
4) Deliver your gifts a floor at a time - maybe one floor a day.
5) Plan your delivery - either map them or organize by number.
6) Trip personalized gifts are awesome - some of the coolest gifts were items that were personalized with our cruise dates or motto (pens, notepads, etc)
7) Fasten your Fish Extender to the fish with a zip tie - there was a report of a near Fish Extender napping on our cruise thread - I think personalizing the Fish Extender helps, too.
8) Make delivering the gifts a family affair. At one point I could hear a cute family whispering outside my door as they had the kids put the goodies in the Fish Extender.

Remember, when you do a Fish Extender you will be the envy of many on the ship! I was stopped a couple of times asking how we got one of those and how could they participate! Of course, those folks have now been informed of the Disboards!

Thanks for the great post! Even as an experienced Dis' Cruiser, I didn't know about the zip ties. This would be great information to share on a constant running post. ;)

LOL. I'm a redhead, but I'm already in a group. I'm curious about your idea though and this whole concept has me laughing.

Oh. And Todd... YOU ROCK! (I know that you know that I already knew that anyway.) Your lesson is awesome. Great job!

Curiousity is getting the best of this redhead too.... what's your idea?

hmmmm, I am a redhead when I go visit my hairdresser.....guess I'll need to save up and visit Devon before the next podcast cruise! Count me in on a redhead group if you get one going!;)

Ok, as a redhead, I want to become a member of the Red-Headed League, too! :laughing: Lori and I could have our own sub-group of a sub-group by being redheads named Lori! :rotfl2: I'm part of the DLR group, but I think being part of the redhead group would be a lot of fun, too.

And Todd: You so totally ROCK! As Dodie already stated. And yes, the fish extenders started on the Inagural Panama Canal repo cruise. My friend went on that, designed the "Repo THIS!" tshirt. :laughing: She told me that she has one of the original fish extenders. And I'm totally ignorant of the process!

Alright redheads...i'll see what I can pull together here and send out PM's! :thumbsup2

Alright redheads...i'll see what I can pull together here and send out PM's! :thumbsup2

Do highlights count??? If not, I do have a lovely auburn coiffure that goes well with a little blue and sparkly number.

Oh and FYI, I was just putting that out there as one way to organize people. I could have said Left Handed people born on Thursday afternoons......(I'm ambidextrous, Tuesday morning.)

Or by Zodiac....any other Scorpio's want to give scorpion lollipops......j/k. j/k. j/k.

[ETA: Wow that came out really snarky. Didn't mean it that way. All in fun. All in fun.]

I am Closing my group to new members.

Members of my FE group are:

tlcoke (Tracey)
maingal (Lyn)
KyMickeyFan717 (Kathy)
MomlvsGoofy (Sharon) + non Dis Friends
Hideeh (Heidi)
froggy5657 (Gibson)
mla1977 (Megan)
fridayfun (Denise)
BannerMouse (Michael)
NannyRose (Rose)
Rtobe (Ros)
Maroo (Mary)
bigmoonmullen (Mark & Louise + Parents: Dale & Bob)
Alice2020 (Kelly)
brookelizabeth (Brook)
goofybeagle (Tammy)
chickie (Jackie)
cv workout (Colleen)

I know that I am really late to the party but is there room for 1 more in anybodys group. We are first time cruisers and wanted to read the FE Primer before we did anything. Is there room still??

T

I know that I am really late to the party but is there room for 1 more in anybodys group. We are first time cruisers and wanted to read the FE Primer before we did anything. Is there room still??

T

:welcome:

Don't worry we're over 500 days out :lmao: - IMHO there still will be lots of people joining and lots of groups forming :goodvibes

cheers,
:flower3:

T

:welcome:

Don't worry we're over 500 days out :lmao: - IMHO there still will be lots of people joining and lots of groups forming :goodvibes

cheers,
:flower3:

There's plenty of time- I hope ;) We're not in a group yet either.
Don't know what I'm waiting for but I know we'll get in one eventually!

Ok, as a redhead, I want to become a member of the Red-Headed League, too! :laughing: Lori and I could have our own sub-group of a sub-group by being redheads named Lori! :rotfl2: I'm part of the DLR group, but I think being part of the redhead group would be a lot of fun, too.

And Todd: You so totally ROCK! As Dodie already stated. And yes, the fish extenders started on the Inagural Panama Canal repo cruise. My friend went on that, designed the "Repo THIS!" tshirt. :laughing: She told me that she has one of the original fish extenders. And I'm totally ignorant of the process!

Hey Lori! A little OT but when are ya'll F&WF this year? We're doing Oct16-17, a cruise, then 23-25. Just wondering if it was possible that we might cross paths finally (!) this year?

Does auburn count? :confused3

I'm hoping so- cause that's what I end up when I get mine done!;)

The New England FE group is rapidly growing. We are now up to two members. We are an equal opportunity group accepting members of all hair colors. If interested PM me.

As Klam has said we are quite a ways out. There will be plenty of time to join a group if you so desire...(joining a group is NOT mandatory...just easier in my {and quite a few other people's} opinion)

So far we have a few redheads in the group!

Me, Lori, & CinderellasSister have confirmed...

Tonya...would you to like to join in too? If Lori's auburn and she's in...then so are you!

Toddles...i'm awaiting group approval to allow a highlighted redhead to join in...:rotfl: Just teasing you...you know that you are always welcome to join us too! Kisses!! ;)

If you're waiting for photographic proof, I have to figure a way for it not to turn into the next Señor Jorge scandal.......
Uh....yes...we need to have photographic evidence...:rolleyes1

Always up for a good scandal...;)

Was the fish extenders planning done this far in advance for PCC 1.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter