• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First VGF stay -- pros and cons

jodifla

WDW lover since 1972
Just back from 5 nights in a one bedroom lakeview unit at the Grand Floridian. Overall, we really liked the resort. It was a definite treat after the Saratoga Springs studio digs. I think we are on the fence about whether we will go back, though.

Pros:
--Luxe feeling -- fountains, flowers, lush appoints. It all really adds up to a relaxing time
--Monorail (but it was broken or being "tested" at least part of the time, making a bus necessary to the MK and Epcot
--Compact nature -- It was nice to be able to walk to restaurants, the pool, etc.
--Room decor. Very high end! Felt like a true "resort."
--Great location if you are focused on the Magic Kingdom.
--Great restaurants
--Close to the Poly
--Twin Murphy bed came in handy. My 5'9" son did fine there.

Cons:
--Pool too small. It was PACKED in the afternoon.
--Grills in the middle of no place (by the spa -- but it was a VERY nice grill)
--Point pricey. We debated whether all of the pros added up to being worth it.
--Not really any more convenient to all the other parks and Disney Springs.

All in all, we love the fact we were able to try it out. It felt like a total treat! But I don't see us staying there again soon. OKW, Jambo and BCV remain our favorites.

It is a shame the monorail was not working properly! We liked the access to TTOTW lounge via the monorail from VGF, so we would have been out of luck, too.

Christmas time is when we really like going to VGF, so the pool has not been used by us. Was the hotel pool also crowded?

Not as crowded. It's also bigger. I missed having a hot tub near the villas, too.

The hot tub at BCV villa pool did not work the week I was there recently. Having one does not guarantee it will be functional! I forgot to mention that on the survey I just filled out. Shucks.

Our first stay at VGF is coming up this summer. Our last trip was at BLT (it was all that was available for us to use because of the timing when we bought). I'm actually really looking forward to this trip because we're staying at VGF.

jodifla...your experience was very similar to our stay last year in a 1BR. I agree with all your points (though we do not grill). It is a beautiful resort with such easy access to two parks. But the point requirements will probably preclude us from staying again in the future.

We love it! We own at SSR and have stayed everywhere.
We appreciate the live music at the GF which we would not have enjoyed years ago. They do require a lot of points , but at this point we have a lot.
It's our new favorite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter