first trip to DL

mom2cookies

DIS Veteran
HI in less than 3 weeks, my DH and i will be going to DL for the first time ( for me anyway ). I am curious what type of clothes to pack. I'm from Phila pa and thought this week, its above normal temperatures, idk what is normal for Cali, this time of year. I like to be warmer than colder. Would long pants ( jeans ) and a tshirt be comfortable with a sweat shirt for night time? Also, what would be your MUST HAVE food item for me to try? I LOVE trying new things, savory or sweet. Thank for any help and suggestions.

Layers will be your best bet. Jeans and a t-shirt will be fine, most likely, for daytime. But the temps cool down quickly once the sun sets. I always bring a light jacket or sweater to keep in my bag (or in a locker if you have lots of jackets to stash). Start checking a weather site (Channel 7 here, ABC.com for local info) about 7-10 days before your trip. Keep checking up until the day you pack. That will give you a better idea of what's going on at DLR weather-wise.

There are lots of food items that people recommend: fried chicken at Plaza Inn, corn dog at the Little Red Wagon, Dole Whip at the stand by the Tiki Room, churros at various carts, Safari Skewers (grilled bacon wrapped asparagus) at Bengal BBQ, Monte Cristo sandwich at Blue Bayou or Cafe Orleans, Mickey shaped beignets/Jazz Kitchen not-Mickey-shaped beignets, etc. It's hard to pick just one item! Check out the Disney Food Blog to see photos of these items.

This is the first year we have not been to Disneyland in the fall in I can't remember how long. After 15 years of annual trips my kiddos finally got old enough they have lost interest. :sad:
Lucky you to be venturing out on your very first trip! I hope you have an AMAZING and MAGICAL time! pixiedust:

Anyhoo.....
Generally, weather is fantastic at this time of year! Pants and t-shirts are fine with a light jacket in the evenings.
There have been a couple years that were a bit cooler (which was the perfect time to buy a jacket for a souvenir) and a couple years when it was hotter than usual. (perfect time to buy a couple t-shirts for souvenirs) BUT generally speaking weather in California is just about perfect. If you have any doubt you can always go with the ever useful tip to pack and wear layers. Take along a couple long sleeve shirts that you can wear if you need it or remove it if you don't. (They have lockers that are really handy for dropping off anything you do not want to carry around with you all day.)

My family's favorite treat is probably the churros. You can't go wrong with those! And, dole whips... and chocolate covered bananas... and toffee and chocolate covered strawberries from Pooh Corner. Carmel corn from California Adventure. And, my favorite sweet has always been the creme brulee at Blue Bayou but last time we went it was only available in lemon flavor which is okay if you like lemon. (which I did not) Oh, and the beignettes are yummy too! Can you tell we love sweets yet? lol! Oh, and if they have the Christmas treats out be sure to pick up a gingerbread Mickey with the chocolate ears. Best seasonal treat of all!

As for real food, our favorites in the park are Bengal bbq, turkey legs, fried chicken at Plaza Inn, and clam chowder.... and anything pretty much works from Blue Bayou because it is really more about the experience and not as much about the food. Pomme frites at Cafe Orleans are quite tasty too.

Truth be told our favorite place to eat is outside the park, Rainforest Cafe in DTD. We are seafood nuts and their food is always great. Bubba Gump and Cheesecake Factory at Gardenwalk are always good too.

oh awesome! thank you both for your responses. Hopefully i will REMEMBER to check the weather channel ( i find locals do a more accurate job imo ). I am keeping a list of things to try. :) thanks!

Do try to check a local news station, like ABC7, for more accurate info. The Weather Channel can give you a big picture, but it is very helpful to see if their forecast is corroborated by a local station.

So really hot in the daytime through Tuesday, cooling off Wednesday and Thursday. It's always cool at night this time of year—low to mid 50s. Bring warmer clothes for nighttime. You're just in time for all of the new holiday stuff including the brand new "Festival of Holidays" at Disney California Adventure Park®

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!