first trip - need help with tix

EllinK

DIS Veteran
I will be heading to WDW and Universal this summer with my 11 yr old. It will be the first time we have been to both parks. I finally have figured out all the steps to planning a Disney vacation. Universal seems a lot more straightforward but I need help with the ticket issue.

If I am reading it right, a 3 day park to park ticket (2+1 day free) cost $97.50 each, for a total of just less than $200 each for the 3 days.

An annual pass (power pass) cost $239 each. It is good for a year and provides park to park, right?

Am I missing something? Of course we may not get back to Uni and we would be out the additional $39 but if we did return, it would be quite a good deal.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It's up to you.

Here's my families story--
In December we went for four nights and bought the 2+1 for everyone except me. I got a Preferred AP for the discounts (room especially). We ended up exchanging DDs for a Preferred Pass because we had such a good time we thought we'd go back in the summer. We did not upgrade DSs or DHs. Mistake. We ended up all going again in March for Spring Break and had to buy two four-day tickets for DH and DS. Ended up exchanging DSs for a Power Pass (even exchange) because we ended up in the parks five days. DH was sick the first day and didn't go in so we didn't exchange his. We should have just gotten APs for everyone the first time.

If you decide you like it that much, you can upgrade to annual passes before you leave.

Thanks for all your responses but I don't feel like I know the answer yet. Unless I'm reading Uni's website wrong (which is possible!) a 3 day (2+1 free) park to park ticket costs $194.99. A Powerpass cost $239. Not much difference for a year's worth of admission, right? Is the Powerpass very restrictive? Also, does it allow us to take advantage of hotel discounts. Thanks for your patience!

I'm interested in this as well. I'm taking my son for the first time to both WDW and Universal. He is 10 and a HP fanatic. I'm curious what is best for access without wasting time. I don't think we will be back within a year, but you never know. Also, are there any special tricks or events for the Harry Potter areas? I would love a "don't miss" list.

The power pass does have black out days and is much cheaper than the preferred and premier. All are cheaper to renew. I renew mine by phone and easy peasy. Here are the differences: https://www.universalorlando.com/Theme-Park-Tickets/Annual-Passes/Non-FL-Annual-Passes.aspx. No free parking with the power pass either.

Even the power pass gets you the pass holder discount at the hotels. Best way to check is APH in the code box. If any rooms are available at the pass holder rate on the Loews hotels website, that code will bring them up. I also call the hotel and ask too. There is also an AAA rate, and a stay more, save more rate. If you book a room, and find a better rate, call the hotel. I find them very helpful in changing rates.

For Amytong, Check out USO's website, check out the threads in this forum, and ask any specific questions, as we are all a friendly bunch. There's no special tricks, as early entry is the best one. We hit each potter area early one day. Helps with the headliner rides. And, we stay onsite at the 3 deluxe hotels to get the unlimited express pass and early entry. My kids love to ride all the rides that take express several times. All but a few of the rides (potter ones and the kiddy flier ride) take express.

as long as you check the black out calendar, you could be fine with the power pass.
only thing is that the black out dates can change each year.

if you go early in the year, you know then what dates are the blackouts for the rest of the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter