First timer to Disneyland

cdsmiler81

DIS Veteran
Hi all!

I'm a regular on the DLP board, but are looking VERY much in advance for information ready for our first ever trip to Disneyland! We thought we'd do Disneyland first, being a similar size to DLP so I hear, and then work up to WDW when the kiddiwinks are older.

So, I don't have dates, time of year or budgets (or ANYTHING) planned or in mind. I'm starting completely from scratch!! Probably not looking at going until 2020 when my little man is about 4/5, (DD will be about 10 or 11) but I like to plan!! lol

I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction for information? For DLP we've been spoilt with the DLPGuide website - full of fab info! Is that a fan made equivalent for Disneyland?? Or anything else I should look at? Anything I should know??

Many thanks in advance!

C x

I've been to DLP a few times and twice to Disneyland.
The best advice I can give is:
  • There's no need to stay on site - there are plenty of good-to-great hotels within walking distance at a fraction of what Disney charge (the Howard Johnson or Candy Cane are both pretty good)
  • Avoid weekends if you can - it gets rammed with locals and annual pass holders.
  • There is an Unofficial guide to Disneyland book which I found useful.
  • Non-Disney shops and restaurants are in great supply just outside the gates, so you can save a lot that way too.
Enjoy the planning!

We are WDW regulars but first time to DL in the summer.

From my research so far I have found it is much more of a "locals" park and there isn't as much out there on it for tourists and it is really expensive!

You may want to look at doing WDW first with kids as the flight time to LA is over 11 hours. We always have a car in FL but aren't in CA as we decided to do 4 nights only there as there isn't a lot else really close by. We are then flying back and doing 10 nights in WDW.
There are other things we'd like to do on the west Coast but none of them are really suitable or that enjoyable for DD yet (she will be 8 when we go) so we decided just to do a few nights at DL tagged on to a WDW trip. We will go back once DD is 13/14 and do all the other things and have the full 14 nights on the West Coast.

WDW might seem daunting but if you have 14 nights to explore its really not.

Just my perspective having looked at it for this year :goodvibes

We are WDW regulars but first time to DL in the summer.

From my research so far I have found it is much more of a "locals" park and there isn't as much out there on it for tourists and it is really expensive!

You may want to look at doing WDW first with kids as the flight time to LA is over 11 hours. We always have a car in FL but aren't in CA as we decided to do 4 nights only there as there isn't a lot else really close by. We are then flying back and doing 10 nights in WDW.
There are other things we'd like to do on the west Coast but none of them are really suitable or that enjoyable for DD yet (she will be 8 when we go) so we decided just to do a few nights at DL tagged on to a WDW trip. We will go back once DD is 13/14 and do all the other things and have the full 14 nights on the West Coast.

WDW might seem daunting but if you have 14 nights to explore its really not.

Just my perspective having looked at it for this year :goodvibes

Oh, really? That's really interesting. We thought Disneyland might have been more appropriate for a week holiday, with the youngest being around 5. And would fill the time until we go to WDW (when they're 8 and 13). I hadn't considered the flight time! I think that would be the major issue.....

Thank you for your thoughts though! Certainly something to think about.

C x

I've been to DLP a few times and twice to Disneyland.
The best advice I can give is:
  • There's no need to stay on site - there are plenty of good-to-great hotels within walking distance at a fraction of what Disney charge (the Howard Johnson or Candy Cane are both pretty good)
  • Avoid weekends if you can - it gets rammed with locals and annual pass holders.
  • There is an Unofficial guide to Disneyland book which I found useful.
  • Non-Disney shops and restaurants are in great supply just outside the gates, so you can save a lot that way too.
Enjoy the planning!

Thank you for this! I think as it's likely to be a one off trip, we'll probably do a package in one of the disney hotels - BUT it's very interesting to know that some of the other hotels are within walking distance! Interesting! Does that rule out EMH access then though?

Will take a look for that book!

Shops and restaurants - do you mean in Downtown Disney, or elsewhere again?

Thank you for your advice so far!!

C x

I suppose other things that have come to mind are:

Are there normally good package deals available? Direct from Disney (hotel and park ticket offers with money off or free days and nights) or from travel agents including flights? Is it best to buy flights separately?

What times of the year are good to visit for lower crowds?

Whats the weather like over there? lol

Like I said, I am starting from complete scratch!! :)

C x

Oh, really? That's really interesting. We thought Disneyland might have been more appropriate for a week holiday, with the youngest being around 5. And would fill the time until we go to WDW (when they're 8 and 13). I hadn't considered the flight time! I think that would be the major issue.....

Thank you for your thoughts though! Certainly something to think about.

C x

I wouldn't do a week if I was flying 11 hours and the flights aren't cheap either. Flights will be a big chunk of the cost.

They don't have the offers like DLP has as they don't need too - they have room only discounts but they are only about 10-15% from what I have seen.

Have you looked at WDW at all? A 5 year old would be fine to do WDW...

We have done DL three times - I really love it
The first time we went for a week - myself, partner and daughter (aged 10 at the time). We spent most of the week in the 2 parks but did a day at Knotts Park and also a day at Sea World in San Diego. We didn't hire a car but did both trips on an organised tour which worked well
2nd time was just myself and partner and we did approx 5 days in DL and then 5 days in Las Vegas
3rd time was again myself and partner and we did approx 10 days and spent most of the days in the 2 parks but also did a day trip to San Diego zoo

A friend from work took his children last year and spent a few days in DL then hired a car and drove down to San Diego stopping at a couple of places on route overnight and then hired a villa with pool for a week in San Diego and did various things in the area there

Although the flight is longer we find it totally worth it.
As already mentioned a lot of off site hotels are within walking distance - we stayed at Hojos twice and took about 15mins to walk. It is along a busy main road but it is lined with hotels so lots of people are walking and there is a safe crossing. In fact it takes as long if not longer to walk to 2 of the onsite hotels

When the park was built Walt didn't buy up land around it so you don't get the total cut off form the World feel the same as you do in WDW but you don't in DLP either which is what you are used to.

We stayed at Grand Californian on our middle trip as it was a special trip - it was a lot more expensive but was good to be able to stay there as there is an entrance right into the park.

EMH works differently there to DLP. At Paris it is for onsite guests and AP holders - at DL there is Magic Morning and Early Hours (or something like that) - one you get for staying onsite and is everyday - the other you get with all package tickets more than 3 days and think its for one morning
As long as you are at the parks fairly early though its not too bad as the locals tend to get there by late morning and stay til evening

If you can afford to stay onsite its definitely worth it but if the money can be used elsewhere we didn't miss it by going back off site again

Its very hard to book packages there through travel agents or independently as not as many Brits go to DL and they don't tend to be offered for the American parks same as DLP - we booked room only through Disney which is what is usually offered then booked tickets separately. Trip 2 we got an annual pass which we used again trip 3 by going just under a yr later. They do have a limit on the number of days tickets you can buy - I think a 5 day pass is the most you can buy without having to buy another 2 day pass if you want 7 days which works out more expensive - but this may change before you go anyhow

Pop over to the DL board as everyone is friendly there as well and will answer questions. You are starting to plan early but its giving you time to get as much info as you can and research all the different options

We've been to DL once and are going back again in July. Like Elise for both trips we tagged on a flight down to Orlando! We're staying six nights in the Disneyland Hotel - yes, there are plenty of hotels in the neighbourhood, well within walking distance. We stayed in the Disneyland on our first visit and loved it and this time I've used our DVC points.

We've booked park tickets for five days as last time we didn't manage to do all the attractions - we arrived on a Friday and I expected the parks to be jammed at the weekend but found them to be just as busy for the rest of the week! We loved the closeness of the two parks and their close proximity to Downtown Disney. If anything we did less walking than at DLRP!

We did book a trip in LA which took us to Hollywood, the beaches and the celebs homes (a must for me!) We're hoping to see a little more this July but it's primarily a chance to 'do' Disney again.

We booked the 'getting to know Disneyland' tour for our first morning which was well worth it. It was around $20 each and consisted of a tour around the parks, a commemorative pin, three fast passes, a couple of attraction rides and a front of line for the evening Aladdin show (which I believe is now Frozen) I'd do it again as the fast passes alone were well worth it. We also did the 'Walking in Walt's footsteps' which was very informative but would be a little long for young children.

The World of Color in California Adventure is a must however we did book a dinner package at the Little Mermaid restaurant in order to secure a good viewing spot.

We loved Disneyland and expected our trip to be a one off yet we're going back two years later! Happy planning!

On our trip in 2014 I found:
  • Much easier to do M&Gs - the characters are almost free roaming, and queues very short.
  • Park Hopping was a must, being able to jump over the Plaza area between parks was brilliant.
  • Avoid Spring Break, our last day landed on the first Monday of Spring Break and the crowd difference was night and day, very busy!
  • If by any chance Fantasmic! is back, I'd suggest a dinner package, we had limited standing room available.
  • We made sure we prioritsed, rides that you can't do in WDW or DLP, (Matterhorn, Mr Toad, Radiator Springs etc)

I can't comment on flights in and out of LAX as we drove to LA for a few nights as part of a bigger trip in Vegas. But the distance is similar, sleep is your friend :)

Above all, take everything in your stride, and enjoy it :)

I wouldn't do a week if I was flying 11 hours and the flights aren't cheap either. Flights will be a big chunk of the cost.

They don't have the offers like DLP has as they don't need too - they have room only discounts but they are only about 10-15% from what I have seen.

Have you looked at WDW at all? A 5 year old would be fine to do WDW...

Yeah, you're right, I did a mock booking and I couldn't believe the flight costs! Hmmmm.... It's not so much about the 5 year old coping, it's wanting to make sure they remember WDW really. Hence the slightly later plan for WDW.

@A Small World - Thank you soooo much for your post. It's really useful to read your experiences thank you! I was beginning to think I was going mad not being able to find packages. How do you fly over? I take it the earlier you book, the cheaper? Most options seem to a have flight changes?

@saintrob - So you booked a holiday in Orlando, and then from there flew to Disneyland, and then flew home from Anaheim?
What are DVC points? I've seen them mentioned but I have NO idea what they are! lol
Yes, the proximity of everything does appeal (and I thought more practical for younger children....) - it's what I'm used to! I was looking at WDW and the distance between parks and hotels, and it's freaking me out a little! lol
That tours sounds good - will make a note of that, thank you! And the World of Colour dining option...

@Jon84 - Thank you! Sorry if I misunderstood, but did you fly to LAX? Or fly more locally to Anaheim?

After reading your posts, I am wondering if WDW could be brought forward a year and we could still plan to do Disneyland but when they are quite a bit older and combine it with other things on the West coast..... I dunno. Still thinking! Ages until anything needs to be set in stone. All I know is that one I was I NEED to go to Disneyland! lol

C x

Gosh I feel SO in the dark! I don't even know how to GET to Disneyland! lol

It's so easy if you are driving, it's just off the Interstate and you can't miss the signs :) If you are walking then it's probably across the street. It's an odd feeling going to a park in such a built up area. At home, and in DLP or WDW, everything is alot more spacious in the surrounding areas!

So you booked a holiday in Orlando, and then from there flew to Disneyland, and then flew home from Anaheim?
What are DVC points? I've seen them mentioned but I have NO idea what they are! lol
Yes, the proximity of everything does appeal (and I thought more practical for younger children....) - it's what I'm used to! I was looking at WDW and the distance between parks and hotels, and it's freaking me out a little! lol
That tours sounds good - will make a note of that, thank you! And the World of Colour dining option...

No, we booked the flights to LA with Virgin and then internal flights to Orlando with American Airlines. I used my Virgin airmiles to cut down the cost and was able to secure seats in upper class which made the 11 hour journey more bearable. This time we're doing the same route but have got the internal flights with Delta.

DVC points are Disney's equivalent of timeshare.

@A Small World - Thank you soooo much for your post. It's really useful to read your experiences thank you! I was beginning to think I was going mad not being able to find packages. How do you fly over? I take it the earlier you book, the cheaper? Most options seem to a have flight changes?

C x

We have always flown from London direct to LA (LAX) - no changes
1st time was with BA and flew from Heathrow to LAX
2nd time was with Virgin and flew Gatwick to LAX, then internal to Vegas and then home from Vegas to Gatwick with Virgin
3rd time was with New Zealand Air from either Gatwick or Heathrow (can't remember which) direct to LAX

I live in North of England but just went down to London by train the day before to catch the flight

I live in the north of England too. The first time we went we flew from Manchester to Heathrow on the morning of our flight. The LA flight left London at 15.45 so we had plenty of time. This time we're flying down the day before and staying at an airport hotel.

We are hoping this year two weeks hawaii then week anaheim ..... Our first time to disneyland and like you so much to take in

Norweigen air fly to lax, like say easyjet you need book as soon as flights out to get cheapest flights

Think going to do five day pass

I have visited Disneyland Resort 3 times! I love it, its my favourite park! The atmosphere there is amazing, the characters just wander around the streets, which they barely ever do at Walt Disney World! They have such amazing shows too (world of colour is the best night time show in any park IMO) !! Ive never stayed in a hotel on site, but I stayed at one that was just 5 minute walk from the park, it was really cheap and included a free breakfast, unfortunately I cant remember the name... You will have an amazing time there, its truly a magical place!

We're doing three days at Disneyland later this year...nervous it's not going to be enough time but it was what we could fit in around other plans (we're spending time in LA and Santa Monica during that holiday too). We've booked the Desert Inn and Suites, just across the road from DL! So excited already!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter