• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First timer at Sci- Fi - couple questions

ahill004

DIS Veteran
I've always been a bit nervous to book Sci-Fi because I've read some pretty bad reviews here. I broke down today b/c I couldn't get 50's Prime for dinner (and I think my girls would get a kick out of the atmosphere). So, could some one please provide some info on this place?

1. Since we booked dinner burgers are not on the menu. Can DH order one anyway?

2. How is the Shrimp pasta? I don't eat most meat (just seafood) and this is the only thing on the menu I thought I might like??

3. I think I read that there are cars and then there are regular tables. How do you get to sit in a car? Also, do you share cars with other people? How many people sit in the rows? I have never seen the inside of this place so I am a bit confused.

4. Finally, what kind of movies do they show? Will the kids be into them?

1. Yes.

2. I saw a review of the shrimp pasta just yesterday (think the review is called "Hello? Room Service?") and it both looked amazing and the reviewer loved it (actually I think it was her friend who actually ordered it). You can also ask for the cheeseburger to be made with a veggie burger if you want.

3. Anyone with a reservation gets a car; the tables are for walk-ups. Most of the cars have 3 rows of 2. Depending on how many kids you have, you'll either get the first two rows (for 4 people) or the whole car (for 5-6). I think there are some cars that seat more. If there are 4 of you, there will probably be a solo diner or couple in the last row of your car.

4. They show very old, cheesy science fiction movies (like Attack of the 50 Foot Woman), interspersed with classic Disney cartoon clips and old ads.

I just wanted to correct something PP said. You can get a car if you have reservations of 3-4 or more. If you come in as a couple (2) you will be seated at a table because they don't want to fill up the cars with just two people. You can request to sit behind the cars in a table that is connected to the back of the cars. In my opinion that is better because sitting at a table just isn't as much fun as the car. :confused3

I just wanted to correct something PP said. You can get a car if you have reservations of 3-4 or more. If you come in as a couple (2) you will be seated at a table because they don't want to fill up the cars with just two people. You can request to sit behind the cars in a table that is connected to the back of the cars. In my opinion that is better because sitting at a table just isn't as much fun as the car. :confused3

Every review by a couple I've ever read has had them seated in the back row of a car without requesting it, and it has been reported numerous times that a reservation guarantees you a car. The only 2 reviews I've ever seen by people who sat at a table were 1 group that requested it and 1 group that walked up. Two people do not "fill up" a car, they fill up one row of a car.

We love Sci Fi. The burgers are good, and my younger DD12 has had the grilled chicken off the kids meal several times and it was good too, not all dried out. The movies are all "G" rated cheesy sci clips from the 40's and 50's, along with a few cartoons like Tom & Jerry. Those are mostly circa. 50's & 60's. It's a great theme, we try to have lunch there every trip. Thnaks for reminding me I need to put it on my list!

Every review by a couple I've ever read has had them seated in the back row of a car without requesting it, and it has been reported numerous times that a reservation guarantees you a car. The only 2 reviews I've ever seen by people who sat at a table were 1 group that requested it and 1 group that walked up. Two people do not "fill up" a car, they fill up one row of a car.

Been to Sci-fi many, many times with DD and solo... have always been seated in a car, never even offered a table... as someone said, if you are a party of 4, you will have the first 2 rows and more than likely some "hitchhikers" in the back...one time when I was traveling solo, the server told the lovely family sitting up front of my car that it was OK because I had offered to pick up the bill for everyone! :lmao:

Sci-Fi does not presay play movies. The reel is a collection of trailers, newsreel and cartoons from the 50's. I think it lasts about 30 mins and then repeats so in an average meal you should see it once.

I don't understand why they don't change this up as there is likely a ton of Disney space related material they could use not to mention how cheap it would be to obtain other old trailers.

Excuse me then! Last time we went to the scifi there was only two of us with ADRs. We were told that because there is just two of us we would be seated at a table. :confused3 Must have been a cranky CM or a really busy night?

We loved Sci Fi. Of course, we were there for lunch not dinner, but the burger was VERY good. Each adult tried a different dessert so we could sample and each of them was also VERY good. I'd been worried about this ADR because the reviews were so mixed. However, after that first trip, Sci Fi was at the top of my list of places to go again this November. Our older dd requested it specifically ... something about the atmosphere and the cheesy clips/trailers.

The other thing that shows during the "movie" are the old, old concession commercials like where the hotdog "flips" in the bun like a trick canine. Hubby has never been to Sci Fi so girls are looking forward to sharing w/ him.

My family LOVES Sci-Fi. This was one of the 1st restraunts that we ate at when my kids were 9,10,11 & 13, they are now 29,30,31 & 33 and everytime we go, the 1 place they all want to go and take their family is Sci-Fi. You can get the burger at lunch and dinner and don't forget to get onion rings and a shake. YUMMY! Depending on the size of your family, the cars either sit 4 or 6. If you have a reservation, you will sit in a car if and if you are a family of 4, you will sit in the 1st 2 seats and you will probably have a couple of "hitchhikers" in the back. You are going to love it!

Loved Sci-Fi. We were a party of two and were seated in a car. A little boy next to us vomited on the floor (had just come from Star Tours) and we were graciously moved to another car - not a table - further back which was great because if you're right up front you have to crank your neck to watch the movies.

This was one of the most relaxing meals we had at Disney. There is just something about sitting in the dark and the movies keep the kids occupied. We were there for lunch - great burgers. Going back in October with the grandkids and it's one of the ADR's I'm looking forward to the most.

If you have kids (or not) ask for the "driver's license" at the end of the meal and your server will bring them. Fun scrapbooking item.

We love Sci-Fi; if you are a party of 2, they will fill up a car if available. When we were there in July, they were totally booked so tables were used for various size parties. We saw parties of 4 at them. It just depended on availability.

If you like milk shakes, they have great ones.

Since you don't eat meat, they have a really nice vegetarian option (ask to talk to the chef). It has tofu but the tofu is thin sliced and grilled; best tofu in all of Disney, other than Ohana when chef TJ is there. One of my favorite veggie dishes.

Thank you guys for all the positive reviews!!! I am actually really excited about checking this place out!! It does sound like fun and DH will like it so long as he can get a decent burger!!! My girls will love sitting in the dark in a car!!! Thank you for making me feel better about this ADR!!!!

We have always gotten a car, no matter how many of us there were for the ADR. DH and I were put in a car with another family on our honeymoon. When it's been us and my parents, we always get a car. Just ask at the front to make sure you get put in the car; the ones with the tables just don't look as fun.

And, the burgers are amazing. That's why we go there, just to get one!

Ah, Sci-fi. One of our favorite lunchtime spots. Agree with everything said here, although it has gone through some rough patches over the years. for the most part though, consistently good burgers, fries and shakes, vegetarian options are quite good (ask for light on the dressing/ on the side for salads though), and the atmosphere is just so cool. "i don't want to grow anymore!" We were last there during our anniversary and had the button on, and poof, out comes a free sundae. happened to be very well made with fudge weaved throughout the ice cream (second only to the no way jose at b&c). i hate when it's made with fudge just plopped on top. . .

we're trying to book it for our upcoming end of sept trip so our son can get the experience, but it's been booked solid for lunch and dinner since we booked our room on day 85 or so. free dining :furious:

The spinach/artichoke dip would also be a good option for a vegetarian. It's an appetizer, but I ordered it as my entree. Delicious!

" I Don't Want To Grow Anymore! " LOL ! Love it, Love it !

I have had lunch and dinner at Sci Fi, each December for the past 11 years. It is one of my all time favorites.

Yes - I had ordered a burger for dinner even though it is not actually on the dinner menu.

I had also ordered a "Chicken Caesar Salad" even though it was a mere
"Caesar Salad" printed on the menu.

Most of my visits have been solo, with an ADR, and I was always placed in the back of a car, as a hitchhiker. I have never, ever, seen anyone sitting at one of those tiny tables in the back.

GREAT PLACE ! You will love it !

I've gone many times as a party of two and always gotten a car.

We started going to Sci-fi shortly after it was built, saw it in the WDW brochure, and the boys (little then :) were over the moon about it. Now many many many years later it is still a favorite, so glad when we went the negative internet reviews were not common place. The main reason I don't set much stock in other people's opinions.:surfweb:

We LOVE the penne, ruebens, and ribs. The milkshakes are great, and this place is just cool, Cool, COOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter