first timer any tips

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by jworthy, Feb 2, 2014.

1. jworthy

jworthy Mouseketeer

We are planning a 4 day cruise in October, followed by 8 days at WDW. We will have to fly to Orlando the day before.

Looking for tips, also are there any discounts to look for, we usually try to get free dining at WDW.
    Thank you

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Namsupak

Namsupak DIS Veteran

For the cruise there are not many discounts and they are getting fewer.

• The consensus is that booking opening day often yields the best pricing as Disney uses a tiered system so pricing tends to increase closer to the cruise date
    • If you wait till about 75-60 days before a cruise date you may see what are called Guarantee rates "IGT, OGT, VGT". These are promotional rates that often well priced, you have restrictions such as they are paid in full at the time of booking, non-refundable, no room requests, etc. This is a large topic you can search about
    • Sometimes there are military, florida resident, or cast member rates.
    • If you re-book onboard you can get onboard credit (OBC) and you have a smaller deposit requirement.
    • If you book with a travel agent you can often get OBC as an incentive to book with that company.

4. jworthy

jworthy Mouseketeer

We have always used AAA to book our disney vacations. Should we wait till 75 days out? I was thinking we would wait till free dining comes out (keeping fingers crossed).

5. Chilly

Chilly RIP Tag Fairy

There is no guarantee a discount will come out or how good it'll be.

6. DisneYE

DisneYE Mouseketeer

you'll find tons of information on here about almost anything..the search button is your friend. ;)
    Also, you may want to consider buying or borrowing the DCL passporter...lots of info in there as well... I had it before i discovered this awesome forum
    http://www.passporter.com/dcl/guidebook.asp

7. Lady V

Lady V <font color=339933>I kept waking up so hot!<br><fo

I've only cruised once so far so I cant add much of anything but I can tell you to not pack too much. We over-packed for sure and I thought we'd packed light! Also--check in online as soon as you can to aim for the earliest PAT (port arrival time) to get you on the ship sooner and you can start enjoying the amenities sooner!(pool, food, etc...)
    Mostly, just enjoy it and don't try to do everything--there are always other cruises!

8. JAMWDW

JAMWDW Mouseketeer

We did a 3 day followed by a week at WDW, and kind of wished we had done WDW first, followed by the cruise. I would recommend flipping it around if schedules allow. It would make for a very relaxing end to your vacation!

9. DL1957

DL1957 DIS Veteran

I agree about going to WDW first. Also I would book the cruise as soon as you can and not wait for the 75 day point. Depending upon when you want to go if you wait until 75 days it may be sold out or you may not get the stateroom you want. If you have kids club age children there are also limits on how many of that age group they book.

10. jworthy

jworthy Mouseketeer

We are looking at the October 12th cruise, because for the last 2 years Disney started free dining on the third friday of October. I know there is no guarantee that Disney will do it this year. I don't know where to stay the night before the cruise. Is the hotel at the airport our best bet? I know quite a bit about wdw, but nearly nothing about the cruise. What about excursions? Not sure about the different dining options. How much money should I expect to spend on board (not including tips)? I will try to find a book at the book store. Thank you for all the helpful information.