First time using DVC - a week at BWV and a week at ?????

Thanks all - some great suggestions and feedback there.

@Pirate Granny - yes, I will book BWV for the two weeks initially (and, to be honest, won't be disappointed if we end up leaving it like that due to availability)

@Deb & Bill - don't worry we are used to staying in a single room - stayed in moderate resorts in recent years so this will be a bit of an upgrade! We don't really spend a lot of time in the room anyway, mainly to sleep / rest.

Looking at the suggestions I will narrow it down to Poly, VWL, SSR and AKV I think. Is there anywhere on line that I can easily show the resorts to my family so they can help me choose (preferably with photos as well as info)?

I would go to the regular Disney site as if you were going to do a cash reservation. They have slide shows of the resort and the rooms that you can "tour."

Looking at the suggestions I will narrow it down to Poly, VWL, SSR and AKV I think. Is there anywhere on line that I can easily show the resorts to my family so they can help me choose (preferably with photos as well as info)?

In addition to the Disney website Allears.net has a section on all the resorts with pictures of each room type and the resort and also info on the resorts.

Last edited:
We like switching resorts. Since you are there two weeks, and will be at the parks a lot of the time, I would do a week at two different resorts. That will give you the feel of each resort, even though you may not be spending a lot of time there. Here is my take on each of the resorts (and I would recommend them all - but still I would only stay at two - then you could choose others on later trips).

Boardwalk - Love the ease to get to EPCOT and be in the countries so easily through the international gateway. Another great aspect is that it is easy to get to Hollywood Studios (either a boat ride or a walk - which isn't bad if you happen to get a DVC room over on that side of the resort). It is also great to get breakfast at the Bakery there. They have delicious pastries and a drink station there, if you happen to have the resort mugs. I also love the clown pool.

Animal Kingdom Villas - Love this resort. If you go to this resort, I would recommend a week. It has such a relaxing atmosphere, and the animals are amazing. I feel if you only stayed a few days, you may not get the great experience with the animals (as there may be times where there are not a lot of animals at the times you are passing through - but a week would make sure you would have some great experiences). I really don't think the bus service is that bad there either. It is a direct bus to every park. Other than Jambo and Kidani (both Animal Kingdom Lodge), there are no other stops. You don't share it with other resorts (as Boardwalk does) and you don't have a huge resort to make a lot of stops at (as Saratoga does). The pool at Kidani is my favorite of all the resorts (though I haven't been to Beach Club, so that may change).

Wilderness Lodge - The boat ride to Magic Kingdom is great. If you want to do Hoop Dee Doo and possibly a horseback ride, Ft. Wilderness is a short boat ride away. The pool is nice. While I really like this resort, if you were going to do the longer stay at Boardwalk and shorter somewhere else, this would probably be a good choice for the other one.

Polynesian - We just got back from a trip where we stayed in a studio with a lake view for 4 days. The view we had was from the second floor, all the way at the end of Moorea (near the TTC). While we prefer 1 bedrooms (Poly doesn't have one bedrooms), the view of the castle and space mountain from our room made up for it. Seeing Wishes was really cool from our room. There are multiple ways to get to Magic Kingdom (boat - from resort or TTC, monorail - from resort or TTC, or bus). Since the DVC rooms are on the side of the resort next to the TTC, it is also pretty easy to get to EPCOT on the monorail. The pool was pretty cool, but it got really crowded while we were there. I think I would like their pool better if I were going off season.

We like switching resorts. Since you are there two weeks, and will be at the parks a lot of the time, I would do a week at two different resorts. That will give you the feel of each resort, even though you may not be spending a lot of time there. Here is my take on each of the resorts (and I would recommend them all - but still I would only stay at two - then you could choose others on later trips).

Boardwalk - Love the ease to get to EPCOT and be in the countries so easily through the international gateway. Another great aspect is that it is easy to get to Hollywood Studios (either a boat ride or a walk - which isn't bad if you happen to get a DVC room over on that side of the resort). It is also great to get breakfast at the Bakery there. They have delicious pastries and a drink station there, if you happen to have the resort mugs. I also love the clown pool.

Animal Kingdom Villas - Love this resort. If you go to this resort, I would recommend a week. It has such a relaxing atmosphere, and the animals are amazing. I feel if you only stayed a few days, you may not get the great experience with the animals (as there may be times where there are not a lot of animals at the times you are passing through - but a week would make sure you would have some great experiences). I really don't think the bus service is that bad there either. It is a direct bus to every park. Other than Jambo and Kidani (both Animal Kingdom Lodge), there are no other stops. You don't share it with other resorts (as Boardwalk does) and you don't have a huge resort to make a lot of stops at (as Saratoga does). The pool at Kidani is my favorite of all the resorts (though I haven't been to Beach Club, so that may change).

Wilderness Lodge - The boat ride to Magic Kingdom is great. If you want to do Hoop Dee Doo and possibly a horseback ride, Ft. Wilderness is a short boat ride away. The pool is nice. While I really like this resort, if you were going to do the longer stay at Boardwalk and shorter somewhere else, this would probably be a good choice for the other one.

Polynesian - We just got back from a trip where we stayed in a studio with a lake view for 4 days. The view we had was from the second floor, all the way at the end of Moorea (near the TTC). While we prefer 1 bedrooms (Poly doesn't have one bedrooms), the view of the castle and space mountain from our room made up for it. Seeing Wishes was really cool from our room. There are multiple ways to get to Magic Kingdom (boat - from resort or TTC, monorail - from resort or TTC, or bus). Since the DVC rooms are on the side of the resort next to the TTC, it is also pretty easy to get to EPCOT on the monorail. The pool was pretty cool, but it got really crowded while we were there. I think I would like their pool better if I were going off season.
Thanks very much for the comprehensive write up!

love blt - now it is off your list - but being able to walk back from the MK while everyone else is waiting for a bus, boat or monorail is great (my opinion) - yes the living area is small in a studio. the 1-bedroom is BIG.

BWV - despite owning at BWV for years - don't like the fact that you must leave the resort to eat. all the restaurants and shops are located along the BW - so not really something I want to do in the rain. So be prepared for that and make sure you have food in the room. Unless you don't mind getting wet.

Vwl and BLT have a path (or sky walk) to their wdw hotels that is covered - so it is a little drier. Poly (which I still love) - does not - think GFV does.

SSR and OKW are really great if you want to go to Disney Springs - the road work I think is still going on - so coming from anywhere else in WDW is a problem.

akv is pretty wonderful. love to watch the animals and best yet the people - makes the day more fun.

now what I do love about BLT, AKV and BWV is the standard (or value) rooms - can save you some points. If you are going for standard views at BWV be sure to do it the morning of the 11th month - they go pretty fast (so do BLT) - have gotten at times a value room at AKV in less than 7 months - otherwise had to go with standard.

if you want to see the MK - then would go with Pvb or blt - they have great views of the MK. even there standard views are pretty wonderful.

for pictures think this site can help
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/resorts.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter