First Time to DLP--give me your top 3 tips

anonymousegirl

DIS Veteran
So excited to tick DLP off my Disney Bucket List--that will make all 12 parks in 7 months.

SO I am going solo (50-ish female) for two days December 18 and 19th, staying at Newport Bay, using DVC points. I have 2 day PH pass.

I am not into sit down meals when traveling alone--I have a tiny stomach and hate to waste food and time. So quick service for me.

So what are the Don't Miss stuff and what can I skip if needed? Very familiar all 6 parks in USA so like to focus on one-off attractions.

Merci beaucoup!

So excited to tick DLP off my Disney Bucket List--that will make all 12 parks in 7 months.

SO I am going solo (50-ish female) for two days December 18 and 19th, staying at Newport Bay, using DVC points. I have 2 day PH pass.

I am not into sit down meals when traveling alone--I have a tiny stomach and hate to waste food and time. So quick service for me.

So what are the Don't Miss stuff and what can I skip if needed? Very familiar all 6 parks in USA so like to focus on one-off attractions.

Merci beaucoup!

Do you ride any type of ride? If so, I highly recommend Crush's Coaster and Ratatouille, both in the Studios. Those were my two favorite rides out of both parks. I rode them both multiple times. Otherwise, ride Pirates, Indiana Jones, Space Mountain. Most of the dark rides are similar but also worth riding for the differences, especially Small World. I've only been to the two US parks and Paris, but the Small World in Paris is my favorite. All of Toy Story Land in the Studios is not in the US parks.

You can skip teacups, Buzz, Tower of Terror, Rock N Roller Coaster.

Make sure you explore the maze and the dragon under the castle.

It's very different to the US parks, but I had a great time in Disneyland Paris.

I don't do coasters, so I can't comment about the Crush Coaster. However, the Ratatouille ride is incredible - the entire "land" is extremely well done. Also, you must see CineMagique at the Studios. It's the most amazing movie starring Martin Short. And don't forget to go into the castle dungeon to see the dragon!

I don't do coasters, so I can't comment about the Crush Coaster. However, the Ratatouille ride is incredible - the entire "land" is extremely well done. Also, you must see CineMagique at the Studios. It's the most amazing movie starring Martin Short. And don't forget to go into the castle dungeon to see the dragon!
Thanks for the tip. Is this movie in French or English? I discovered when I went to Tokyo Disneyland that the shows just weren't worth the time (Except Big Band Beat) since it was predominantly in Japanese.

It's all visual and music. No words. Best ever show. I love to do some drawing in the animation studio and the parades cannot be missed Have a great time xxx

Well, Martin Short speaks English - a very little bit is in French, but there are sub-titles. You don't have to worry about not speaking French at DL Paris - most shows have English and French versions, and they publish a schedule so you will know which one to go to. All announcements are made in English and French, and sometimes also in German.

All shows are both in English and French. For example in Mickey and the Magician, Mickey speaks in French and the Magician speaks in English and both repeat what the other said, so it's pretty easy to follow. Mickey and the Magician and Cinemagique are worth doing, along with Ratatuille and Crush and Coaster which are unique to DLP. For Crush and Coaster you have to rope drop it or skip it, because it hasn't fast pass and it has long lines. also the single line often doesn't save much. Single line at Ratatuille is a blessing instead. Stitch is like Turtle Talk at WDW, not really a must do. Toy Story Playland is a collection of standard carnival flat rides, non great.
Armageddon is awful.
Pirates will be closed when you'll be there (same days I'll be there too :) ), but Big Thunder Mountains will reopen just on the 16th I believe, so probably all Annual Passholder will be there to check the new effects. It's the best version in the world of BTMRR and absolutely a must do.
Phantom Manor is different and very worth doing (I think it's spookier than the USA Hunted Mansions).
Space Mountains are much more intense than in the USA, they have inversions and are much faster, similar to RRC.
Dreams is worth seeing twice.
Don't bother much with restaurants, average quality is low. If you really must and you are a little bit adventurous, Agraba Cafè isn't too bed and the setting is beautiful.
Take the time to smell the roses, the main park is very pretty and worth walking around looking at the beautiful environment (in the studios focus on the rides, the park itself is terrible).
Probably not the best use for a first timer but I found the park tour is really worth the money (and it's very cheap, now around 20 euro I believe).

All shows are both in English and French. For example in Mickey and the Magician, Mickey speaks in French and the Magician speaks in English and both repeat what the other said, so it's pretty easy to follow. Mickey and the Magician and Cinemagique are worth doing, along with Ratatuille and Crush and Coaster which are unique to DLP. For Crush and Coaster you have to rope drop it or skip it, because it hasn't fast pass and it has long lines. also the single line often doesn't save much. Single line at Ratatuille is a blessing instead. Stitch is like Turtle Talk at WDW, not really a must do. Toy Story Playland is a collection of standard carnival flat rides, non great.
Armageddon is awful.
Pirates will be closed when you'll be there (same days I'll be there too :) ), but Big Thunder Mountains will reopen just on the 16th I believe, so probably all Annual Passholder will be there to check the new effects. It's the best version in the world of BTMRR and absolutely a must do.
Phantom Manor is different and very worth doing (I think it's spookier than the USA Hunted Mansions).
Space Mountains are much more intense than in the USA, they have inversions and are much faster, similar to RRC.
Dreams is worth seeing twice.
Don't bother much with restaurants, average quality is low. If you really must and you are a little bit adventurous, Agraba Cafè isn't too bed and the setting is beautiful.
Take the time to smell the roses, the main park is very pretty and worth walking around looking at the beautiful environment (in the studios focus on the rides, the park itself is terrible).
Probably not the best use for a first timer but I found the park tour is really worth the money (and it's very cheap, now around 20 euro I believe).

Thanks for the great tips! Mickey and the Magician sounds like DLR's Mickey and the Magical Map with Yensid as the Magician. One of my favorite shows!

I am a little bit of a coaster wimp, so hopefully I'll enjoy these coasters (I do ride all the Disney coasters, but skip Tower of Terror). DLP Space Mountain may do me in, but I guess I'll brave it. I only have one rope drop since I am coming off a river cruise on Sunday and won't be at the park until 10am.

Looking forward to BTMR and Phantom Manor.

Are you visiting alone? If so, do this way for the Studios rope drop: be at the gates 30 minutes before opening and rush for Crush and Coaster. Then go to Toy Story Playland and do the rides you fancy. None are unmissable, ma the area is pretty and from the parachutes there is a nice view of the park. They hourly load is low, though, so that's why you want to do them before anything else. Then go to Ratatuille and use the single raider, you'll be on in 5 minutes. If you want to do the Rock and Roller coaster do it now, but it's the same as in Florida. By this time you'll have done all the rides unique to the Studios and you should now do the shows. Probably by mid day you'll have finished with the studios. One full day and a half at main park and half day at the studios is the right balance.
Also be prepared a bit about the cultural differences: people may smoke outside of the designated areas, you may experience a bit of line jumping, europeans do not respect the personal space as in the USA, some character meet and greets aren't well organized. But the main park is really beautiful, the castle is the most beautiful Disney castle (be sure to visit it inside and the dungeon!) and the Main Street arcades are another unique thing. Take you time to savour all the charming details.
And be prepared for the cold. It may snow and it's not soap like in Florida!

Are you visiting alone? If so, do this way for the Studios rope drop: be at the gates 30 minutes before opening and rush for Crush and Coaster. Then go to Toy Story Playland and do the rides you fancy. None are unmissable, ma the area is pretty and from the parachutes there is a nice view of the park. They hourly load is low, though, so that's why you want to do them before anything else. Then go to Ratatuille and use the single raider, you'll be on in 5 minutes. If you want to do the Rock and Roller coaster do it now, but it's the same as in Florida. By this time you'll have done all the rides unique to the Studios and you should now do the shows. Probably by mid day you'll have finished with the studios. One full day and a half at main park and half day at the studios is the right balance.
Also be prepared a bit about the cultural differences: people may smoke outside of the designated areas, you may experience a bit of line jumping, europeans do not respect the personal space as in the USA, some character meet and greets aren't well organized. But the main park is really beautiful, the castle is the most beautiful Disney castle (be sure to visit it inside and the dungeon!) and the Main Street arcades are another unique thing. Take you time to savour all the charming details.
And be prepared for the cold. It may snow and it's not soap like in Florida!

Thanks, this is a great plan. I am planning for cold. I have visited Paris in January so I know what to expect. I have a warm coat, boots, cashmere scarf, gloves, and hat, plus silk long underwear.
A little worried about how they'll that me as I am very definitely pooh-sized. I don't worry about it in America, but there was a ride I didn't fit into (for the first time) at Shanghai (TRON). Unfortunately, i didn't realize until we tried to board the light cycles. Hopefully, I will be okay in Paris, although the country is not known for being obese-friendly.

Thank u for the tips as well -

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALL:santa:

So many unique experiences for first time DLP visitors, difficult to narrow it down to just three, however if you've visited the other parks quite recently then the more unique to DLP attractions I would say the must do's are:

- Disney Dreams (obviously a must do for any first timer at DLP)
- Ratatouille
- Mickey & the Magician (But be there at least 30 mins before show time, we got turned away twice on our last trip but finally caught it before we left)
- Crush's Coaster (But as many have said, get there very early and do this first as this ride never goes under a 40/60 min line even for single riders)
- Space Mountain (The best version in the world in my opinion, but a lot more intense to the others)
- Cinemagic
- The Castle dungeon. Again something truly unique and quite terrifying awaits you down there.

For a park that generally get's a lot of stick from visitors, there are certainly a lot of must do's inside the Studio's park, but the main Disneyland Park features attractions you'll have experienced countless times over the past 7 months, but still very much worth it for the classics.

Enjoy your trip!!!

- Watch Mickey and the Magician
- Experience the Christmas entertainment (parade, tree lighting ceremony, Dreams of Christmas)
- Ride Big Thunder Mountain (it'll just have reopened so the lines will be very long for this I think)

Honestly, Crush is a decent rollercoaster, but it's pretty much just spinning around in the dark. If I only had two days I wouldn't prioritise it over other stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter