First time seeing your character

DadSparrow

Earning My Ears
My DW recently brought up the thought that she might get emotional the first time she sees "her princess" while down at Disney for her first time next month.

I can't figure she is the only one that got emotional, a tear in their eye, a little choked up. So spill your story so if she does get a bit of a hiccup I can show her this thread later. I know I got choked up before.

I took my 19 yr old last August. She cried when she saw Peter Pan in the parade. She cried when she rode the Peter Pan ride for the first time. She cried at the MK rope drop. You get the picture. She cried the whole time we were there. And I do have to say that I got all choked up myself when I saw Pooh, Cinderella too. Ok, I kind of got choked up at the Walt and Mickey statue too :)

Not my own character experience (though my dad has a cute pic of baby me grabbing minnie's nose on my first trip that I love), but my mom's first time meeting Mickey. When my parents got married many moons ago, my dad offered her a sky's-the-limit honeymoon, thinking she'd pick hawaii or the bahamas or something. But my mom was in love with the idea of finally seeing disney, so off they went. As the story goes, they get to the park on day one of 17, mom's eagerly looking for mickey. As she's walking by the side of Cinderella castle, she spots mickey walking away (this was 1985 so things were different). My dad says she stopped, screamed out "MICKEY!", ran up for a hug while his handler tried not to laugh. The best part was he was at the gate to go backstage for a break, but he stopped for five minutes with my mom she was so excited (and she didnt realize until dad pointed it out later) :)

and one experience I remember isnt characters, but one of the most magical moments on a disney trip for me. We took my aunt and grandparents for a birthday/family trip (all of them first timers, and grandpa's 70th), and arrived late on my aunt's bday. We went right into MK to ride peter pan, which her and my mom LOVED growing up, the entire time I heard them in front of me singing the songs. As we walked out, the fireworks were starting so we all stopped in small groups to watch, and my grandma was holding my hand looking up in awe with a tear in her eye, and my mom and aunt were still singing peter pan songs to each other. It was totally unplanned, but probably my happiest disney memory!

I'm 46...I've been going to Disney as an adult since My 20's...evey time...no matter how long its been...as soon as I drive under the "Welcome to Disney World" sign...The happy tears start falling...can't stop them I'm so happy to be back!...my family just rolls their eyes. Lol

Oh I know I'm going to be crying. I cry just watching the vacation dvd or reading trip reports :)

I cry
Oh I know I'm going to be crying. I cry just watching the vacation dvd or reading trip reports :)

I cried watching the video, too! Jackie from HS always gets me! Then I got to meet her while I was there, I was a mess!

As far as Princess, my very first time in MK we went at 10 at night for EMH. At 12:59 I got in line for Ariel in her grotto. The CM at the line said "She's in there!" That was my moment. I was emotional for that moment on. When I got down there I had the big smile and when I started to talk to Ariel...I burst into tears! Full on sobs! I had this plan of what I wanted to say to her...all of it went by the wayside.

I cry

I cried watching the video, too! Jackie from HS always gets me! Then I got to meet her while I was there, I was a mess!

As far as Princess, my very first time in MK we went at 10 at night for EMH. At 12:59 I got in line for Ariel in her grotto. The CM at the line said "She's in there!" That was my moment. I was emotional for that moment on. When I got down there I had the big smile and when I started to talk to Ariel...I burst into tears! Full on sobs! I had this plan of what I wanted to say to her...all of it went by the wayside.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Heck, we talk about our first visit and I cry or at the very least get very teary eyed.

Awww how cool!!!
That sounds like a wonderful and special first time meeting Ariel <3

I get really shy when meeting my favorite princesses am i'm 22. Merida is my favorite and i got so nervous meeting her, that i couldn't even speak. The same goes for Cinderella, because it's Cinderella. :oprincess:

The first time I went to Disney was with my DH, DS3, and DD10. It was the first time for us all. DD was so excited to see Belle. DS was complaining the he had to stand in line (10 FP line) for his sister to see "girly princesses" and adamantly stated he was NOT going to meet them or have his picture taken. Belle was the first princess in line at the TownSquare Hall and as soon as it was our turn, she looked at him and said, "Hello, little prince. How are you, little teacup?" He was hooked. He immediately hugged her and flirted. From then on, Belle was HIS princess. He also met his favorite character, Pooh, while on that trip at the Crystal Palace. He just smiled quietly and hugged Pooh so tightly. He held his own Pooh Bear which he has carried around since he was a baby in the picture so that his Pooh and "the real Pooh" could meet. These were both such sweet moments and two of my favorite Disney moments.

Hi,

I am an adult and love characters so much. I am a big Pluto fan! (can you tell by my username? pluto:). Seeing pluto, Chip, and Dale make me so happy. In fact, if I do not see them I might cry then too. My mom and I have a term that shows I love pluto. At Disneyland we say that are plu-dar (Pluto Radar) is always on because we always try to find him. When we do I am so happy and my mom and I run and I give him a big hug when I see him. I also still do autograph books and the character that I get the most autographs from every major trip is Pluto!

My favorite Pixar movie has always been A Bug's Life so when it was incredible when I finally met Flik at Animal Kingdom as a teen! We danced around for a while and I hugged him tight before I left! It was such a magical experience and still brings a smile to my face when I think about it.

I also really like Peter Pan but had never been able to meet him. One trip, I tried SO hard to get to a meet and greet but it just didn't happen. I met him the next trip and it was worth the wait! The pics came out amazing and the interaction was great!

I'm still waiting for the day I get to meet Max Goof...

disnat, keep an eye out at HS! I've seen him a few times around where the Hat used to be, and at Characterpalooza. Not a definite thing, but worth a try!

When my CP started, all I wanted to do was meet Rapunzel. Tangled means a lot to me, and her story got me out of a very dark place when it came out towards the end of high school (sorry if that's too dark for the boards). My friends and I made plans to go have dinner and meet some characters after work one day, and that was the first time I got to see her after several months of waiting (I'd promised one of them I'd wait for her because she knew how excited I was and she wanted to see it). So, we walked into PFH, with me decked out in my Rapunzel shirt, tiara, and my little magnet Pascal on my shoulder. And I saw her and started sobbing. It became our turn, and I gave her a huge hug and somehow managed to blubber out the story about how she helped me, and she gave me the biggest hug and was super sweet. But it gets better. My friends went over to meet Cinderella, but Rapunzel asked me to hang back. She gave me another hug and whispered in my ear! "You're out of your tower now, and you never have to go back, princess. Now, you and your friends go have seventeen more adventures. Seventeen, remember that. And have the best day ever!" And I nodded and I was in happy tears for a good forty-five minutes after.

I'm sure people in the line behind us were annoyed because she spent like fifteen minutes with me even though I'm in my 20s, but it's one of the best M&Gs I've ever had. I'm tearing up thinking about it now :upsidedow

My DW recently brought up the thought that she might get emotional the first time she sees "her princess" while down at Disney for her first time next month.

I can't figure she is the only one that got emotional, a tear in their eye, a little choked up. So spill your story so if she does get a bit of a hiccup I can show her this thread later. I know I got choked up before.

Sometimes it's the parents. My son at 3-5 years old was a *huge* Peter Pan fan. We couldn't figure out where he was in the parks ( this is now many years ago ).

Anyway, we found him near Pirates of the Caribbean, my son ( when it was his turn ) rushed to him exclaiming "Peter! We've been looking everywhere for you!" to which Peter answered "I know! I'm a really good hider eh?" ... So in character and the whole thing was just an awesome moment.

disnat, keep an eye out at HS! I've seen him a few times around where the Hat used to be, and at Characterpalooza. Not a definite thing, but worth a try!

Thanks! I'll definitely try that. I've never done Characterpalooza but I'm working it into my touring plans!

Not to thread jack but does Max show up regularly at Characterpalozza? All my four year old wants out of our upcoming trip is to meet Max and give him a high five. I'm trying to prepare him for disappointment but man, do I want that to come true!

I am 33 years old, and when it comes to my daughter I always get emotional. At times, even my wife will look at me and say, "Seriously. This?" in a joking around manner. I cried no less that 3 times during UP and she kept turning to me and saying, "Geez what is your deal?!" Ha.

My wife, daughter (5), and I are headed back to WDW in a month. I am certain that I'll become a hot mess several times. We last went when she was 15 months old. It was a short stay, 4 days, to enjoy the parks with our friends. I remember telling family and friends of our plans, and nearly all of them would state, matter of factly, "You know she's too young to go and won't remember anything." You're never to young, and you're never to old for Disney. I always told these people that I obviously knew my daughter would not remember the trip. Do you know who DOES remember it though? My wife and I. Yes, she would not remember the trip, but her parents would take the memories of their daughter with them for the rest of their lives. So, anyway, back to crying...

We enjoyed breakfast at OHANA. Lilo and Stitch made their way around, and we all enjoyed their visits and the delicious food. Then Mickey stopped by, and what followed floored us. No one saw it coming. When Mickey leaned over her should from behind, our daughter turned her head and planted a huge kiss on Mickey's nose. Afterwards, she had the biggest smile. I captured the moment of the kiss with my camera, and it is still my favorite photo...as in of all photographs ever, not just of her. When I look at it, I still get that warm fuzzy feeling. Needless to say everyone at our table had damp eyes. Mickey was smitten by her, and even after he finished his rounds through the restaurant, he made his way all the way back to us and gave our daughter one last big embrace and a pat on the head. Then he gave me a hug, pulled away and despite having a mostly expressionless face, I was able to see the emotion as he rubbed my back, held my hand, and gave me a head nod. It is hard to describe, sorry. It was like Mickey came back to say 'thank you' for the magical moment our daughter gave him when, usually, it seems to be the other way around.

So...yeah, gets me everytime. In a month I'm sure that I'll have a few emotional moments. My daughter is 5 and she loves the princesses and Star Wars. Star Wars means a lot to me, and I am quite certain that I'll be a wreck the first time we ride Star Tours. Rapunzel holds a special spot in our hearts too, so meeting her will probably get the same response.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope everyone who reads it, enjoys it.

I'm 46...I've been going to Disney as an adult since My 20's...evey time...no matter how long its been...as soon as I drive under the "Welcome to Disney World" sign...The happy tears start falling...can't stop them I'm so happy to be back!...my family just rolls their eyes. Lol

Me too!!! Exactly how I feel and what I do when I see the sign!!!

However, seeing my Mickey obsessed son meet Mickey Mouse for the first time last year when he was 3 years old has to go down as one of the most magical moments of my life. He was just in such awe and so happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter