First time on the Magic, 11/25/15: A quick(ish) report

Lisa Lisa

DIS Veteran
We disembarked today from the 11/25 4-night sailing on the Magic. We stopped at Key West, Nassau, and Castaway Cay. The weather report in the days leading up to embarkation was abysmal -- rain and wind in every port. The wind part was mostly accurate, but we lucked out and had lots of sunshine. Unfortunately, in addition to the wind, we encountered some rough seas. I felt more movement, consistently, on this cruise than on any other cruise I've been on. On a positive note, the ship looked great all decked out for the holidays! The tree and garland in the atrium were beautiful. We also loved the tree at Castaway Cay and got some nice photos in front of it.

I wasn't sure what to expect on embarkation day since we've only sailed out of Port Canaveral, but it was pretty easy. We stayed at the Intercontinental the night before and took a very short cab ride to Port of Miami on Wednesday morning. The porters took our bags at the curb and we joined the line to enter the terminal. We had only been waiting about 10 minutes when the line started to move. We got through security quickly and were then pointed toward the Castaway Club check-in line (which was quite a bit longer than the first-time cruiser line!). I know we could have moved to the other line, but we decided to stick it out. Once we were checked in, we moved to the other end of the terminal to wait for boarding to start. We had an 11:00 PAT and were assigned to boarding group 5. I think it was about 11:45 when boarding started, and we were onboard 10-15 minutes later. The CMs we walked past after we boarded were trying to direct everyone to Carioca's for lunch, but we headed straight up to Cabanas. It wasn't crowded at all when we got there, but by the time we left it was packed.

It had been raining lightly on and off, and we were worried that the sailaway party might be moved inside. The weather held, though -- yay! We were in Animator's Palate for dinner the first night. I liked it, but I must say that I prefer AP on the new ships. Our server was Beethoven and our assistant server was Marco. Beethoven was just okay, but we loved Marco. Best assistant server we've had. Our head server was also around more than any head server we've had in the past. The show the first night was Twice Charmed, and we all enjoyed it.

The next day we woke up in Key West. It was a bit breezy but sunny and just the right temperature (mid 70s). We docked at Outer Mole and had to take trolleys off the naval base. I had worried about this ahead of time, but the process was quick and painless. We were dropped off in town near Mallory Square and then walked about two blocks to the Old Town Trolley Tours depot, bought our tickets, and were off. We stopped at Hemingway's House and at the Southernmost Point, and then we walked back up Duval Street, stopping for key lime pie at Kermit's on the way. I headed back to the ship at that point for my appointment in the spa, while DH and DD stopped at the aquarium. I had booked Alone Time when our booking window opened and it was amazing. I'll post some pics of the spa villa later. Dinner that night was at Carioca's. It was Thanksgiving, and turkey was one of the menu choices. It was pretty good! The show was Tangled and we all loved it. Great music and really cool costumes and props. Definitely a must see!

Friday was Nassau day. All ashore time was supposed to be 9:15, but there was an announcement in the morning saying that we were running late due to heavy winds and a strong current, and I think we ended up getting the all clear at around 10:00. We had made a reservation at the Comfort Suites and hightailed it over there. Once we got checked in, we walked over to Atlantis, got our wristbands, put our stuff in a locker, and made our way to the not-so-lazy river. Where we waited for tubes. And waited. And waited some more. Man, was it crowded! We finally got two tubes, so DD and I started down the river, hoping that DH would catch up at some point. He finally got tired of trying to get a tube and rode the Abyss instead. Once again, it was a breezy but sunny day. We spent a few hours swimming and riding the waterslides, hung out in lounge chairs for awhile, and then went back to the aquarium since we had breezed through the first time. We left Atlantis at about 3:30 to head back to the ship and were up on the pool deck by 3:55. We were back at Carioca's for dinner and then saw the magician Michael Barron in the Walt Disney Theater. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but he was pretty entertaining! Despite the wind, the pirate deck party and fireworks went off as planned.

Saturday we were at Castaway Cay. It was a gorgeous day -- sunny and just a bit breezy. We took our time eating breakfast at Cabanas and headed down to Deck 1 as soon as the all clear was given. Based on past experience (on the Dream class ships), we expected a long wait to disembark, but we were pleasantly surprised. We pretty much walked right off, and it became clear right away that we were among the first to disembark. We used our normal strategy of getting off at the second tram stop and backtracking a bit and had no trouble getting a great front-row spot. We looked down the beach toward the ship and saw tons of empty lounge chairs. People continued to arrive over the next couple of hours, but it never seemed overly crowded. This was the only time I really noticed the difference in size/crowds between the two classes of ships, and it was a very pleasant change! DH and DD did the stingray adventure at Castaway Ray's and loved it.

DH and I each rode the Aquadunk once when we returned to the ship from CC. It was fun and scary! I'm glad I did it, but I think it'll be a one-and-done for me. Dinner was at Lumiere's and the show was Disney Dreams: An Enchanted Classic. Unfortunately we missed the show because it took us forever to pack! The whole packing on the last night thing is one of my least favorite parts of cruising.

All in all, we had a fantastic time. I wasn't sure what we would think of the Magic after four cruises on the Dream class ships, but we enjoyed it. We all agreed that we prefer the newer ships, but we wouldn't hesitate to sail the classics if the timing and itinerary are right. We booked a placeholder while we were onboard and are hoping to use it for Alaska in 2017.

I'm happy to answer questions!

Last edited:
Just did the Dream 4 night to Nassau and Castaway a few weeks back and loved it. Booked Magic 4 night for Feb '17. Have same concerns about the classic ships, so good to read your report. Thanks!

Hi! Thank you for your report! We are doing a four night on the Magic in February and are planning the Atlantis Comfort Suites option in Nassau. You made it back to the ship quick...I'm assuming the traffic was light? I've heard stories of heavy traffic making it take forever to get back to the ship. Did you take the water taxi or a regular taxi?
Thank you!

So glad to hear you had a great time! :) Several others had posted from the Dream and Fantasy that returned this past weekend they also experienced "rough seas" and apparently it was unexpected. Glad you are back safely and I'll have to check in with you. :wave2:

Heather

We are doing the 4 night cruise at end of February. This will be our very first cruise. Thank you for the review and tips! You mentioned you were rushed the last night for packing. Did you have the early or late dining time?

Hi! Thank you for your report! We are doing a four night on the Magic in February and are planning the Atlantis Comfort Suites option in Nassau. You made it back to the ship quick...I'm assuming the traffic was light? I've heard stories of heavy traffic making it take forever to get back to the ship. Did you take the water taxi or a regular taxi?
Thank you!

We took a regular land taxi. There are lots of drivers waiting after you walk through the building with the shops next to the dock. We made it from the dock to Comfort Suites and from Atlantis back to the ship in about 15 minutes, and I do think that's on the quick side. Our all aboard time was 5:15, so our plan was to leave Atlantis by 3:30 to allow plenty of time. I think that, in general, leaving a 1-hour window should be plenty. Paradise Island is very close to the dock. Have fun!

We are doing the 4 night cruise at end of February. This will be our very first cruise. Thank you for the review and tips! You mentioned you were rushed the last night for packing. Did you have the early or late dining time?

We had early dining. We finished dinner at around 7:30 and then went to Shutters (big mistake). It was about 7:50 when we got back to the room and the show was at 8:30. We hadn't started packing at all, and it took longer than we thought it would. We were afraid to leave it until after the show, though. Shutters was packed wall to wall with people right after dinner let out, but we went back when we finished packing and it was almost empty. Much better time to go!

So glad to hear you had a great time! :) Several others had posted from the Dream and Fantasy that returned this past weekend they also experienced "rough seas" and apparently it was unexpected. Glad you are back safely and I'll have to check in with you. :wave2:

Heather

Hi Heather! It really wasn't that bad, although the movement resulted in a lot of creaking and popping in our room. I usually sleep really well on a cruise, but not this time. I'm not really complaining, though, because overall it was a great cruise! And now we're gold!!

Nice review. I just booked a 5 day on the Magic March 2017 and have only been on the Dream once. DS really wants to go on the Magic and it leaves on his birthday :)

We had early dining. We finished dinner at around 7:30 and then went to Shutters (big mistake). It was about 7:50 when we got back to the room and the show was at 8:30. We hadn't started packing at all, and it took longer than we thought it would. We were afraid to leave it until after the show, though. Shutters was packed wall to wall with people right after dinner let out, but we went back when we finished packing and it was almost empty. Much better time to go!

Great tip!! We are also planning to do the early dining time. Are there set times for breakfast and lunch too? Or only dinner? Did you skip lunch or just do a light lunch since dinner is so early? We are traveling with DD who is 6 yrs old.

Great tip!! We are also planning to do the early dining time. Are there set times for breakfast and lunch too? Or only dinner? Did you skip lunch or just do a light lunch since dinner is so early? We are traveling with DD who is 6 yrs old.

There are set ranges of times for breakfast and lunch, but you can show up any time you want within those ranges. So, for example, Cabanas was open for breakfast from 7-11 most mornings, and Lumiere's was open from 7:30-9:00 with sit-down service. Cabanas was typically open for lunch from 11:30-2:30, while the quick service places were open much longer. There was usually one MDR open for lunch, sometimes with sit-down service and sometimes with a buffet.

We ate lunch at Cabanas only on embarkation day. Not because we don't like it, because we do! The days we docked at Key West and Nassau, we just grabbed something light from the quick service places on deck when we got back to the ship, and on Castaway Cay day we ate at Cookies. Even if we ate lunch on the later side, we always seemed to be hungry again by dinner time! Even though the early seating starts at 5:45, it was usually more like 6:10/6:15 before we started eating.

Hope that helps!

Nice review. I just booked a 5 day on the Magic March 2017 and have only been on the Dream once. DS really wants to go on the Magic and it leaves on his birthday :)

Thanks! I'm sure you'll have a great time. I was just telling someone that I think there are more similarities than differences between the Magic and the Dream class ships. If you go into it expecting to have a good time, you almost certainly will! And of course Disney is great at celebrating special occasions, so I'm sure your DS will love it.

Last edited:
There are set ranges of times for breakfast and lunch, but you can show up any time you want within those ranges. So, for example, Cabanas was open for breakfast from 7-11 most mornings, and Lumiere's was open from 7:30-9:00 with sit-down service. Cabanas was typically open for lunch from 11:30-2:30, while the quick service places were open much longer. There was usually one MDR open for lunch, sometimes with sit-down service and sometimes with a buffet.

We ate lunch at Cabanas only on embarkation day. Not because we don't like it, because we do! The days we docked at Key West and Nassau, we just grabbed something light from the quick service places on deck when we got back to the ship, and on Castaway Cay day we ate at Cookies. Even if we ate lunch on the later side, we always seemed to be hungry again by dinner time! Even though the early seating starts at 5:45, it was usually more like 6:10/6:15 before we started eating.

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much! This really puts my mind at ease. This is our very first cruise and I kept going back and forth on early or late dining, but I think early will work better for us with DD who is 6. We are doing the 4 night cruise to Bahamas. I can't wait! This is a surprise trip for DD.

We took a regular land taxi. There are lots of drivers waiting after you walk through the building with the shops next to the dock. We made it from the dock to Comfort Suites and from Atlantis back to the ship in about 15 minutes, and I do think that's on the quick side. Our all aboard time was 5:15, so our plan was to leave Atlantis by 3:30 to allow plenty of time. I think that, in general, leaving a 1-hour window should be plenty. Paradise Island is very close to the dock. Have fun!

Thank you so much!

Thanks! I'm sure you'll have a great time. I was just telling someone that I think there are more similarities than differences between the Magic and the Dream class ships. If you go into it expecting to have a good time, you almost certainly will! And of course Disney is great at celebrating special occasions, so I'm sure your DS will love it.

Thank you very much. I am really looking forward to it and it being a smaller ship with less crowds at Castaway Cay. The countdown is on :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter