First time and some questions

shelby101301

Mouseketeer
Hello all. Thanks in advance for answering some questions . Veterans to visit - we have AP's and own DVC. However, first time at the fort and very excited!

Trying to figure out when to leave home, what's the earliest we can show up Sat? We're used to chucking our bags with bell services and coming back later to check in. Can't very well do that with a class C rv!!! LOl

Second, we don't really care too much where they put us, but would like to maybe study map in advance and get our bearings. We did not pay for preferred. If I call, will they tell us where we wil be? Staying late Feb into March.

Finally, last year when I was poking around, I seem to recall an alternate cart rental place that was cheaper than Disney. Is that s am option?

Thx all!

Hi!
You are going to have a blast!!!!
We have had success checking in early- even early morning if our space was open. You can also just park and set up later.

We have used all different car rental places- just got on priceline or a like site and found who was cheapest. It wasn't too much trouble to pick up a car.

You can see the campsites online, and I think if you call them you can request certain sites- we have done that for sure.

Good luck!

I think you will really enjoy the fort. It is so much more than any other property on site. It is truly a destination in itself.

Early check in is 50/50. If your assigned site is available, it's yours. Some have been able to check in as early as 0600. I usually try to arrive late morning and have usually been able to go right in. Once I had to wait. No big deal. You can "check" your RV in the outer parking lot and take a Disney bus anywhere while you're waiting.

You can 'request' a loop (or specific site), but it is only a request. I have always been successful getting the loop I wanted, but getting a specific site is harder. (I never tried for a specific site). Late Feb/early March before the Flower festival shouldn't be busy and I suspect you're more likely to get your request

Kenny's is the place most often mentioned for an alternative cart supplier. I've never used him, but there are many on here that do. If you search for Kenny's Carts you'll find the contact info.

j

More a sense of community! The Fort is more of a club than DVC....you'll love it!

Great, thx everyone! That's what I was looking for , could we just park and set up later if we're early. Is check in 3:00 like other resorts?

Kenny's, got it, will do the search.

Yes, we are looking forward to being
At the fort more regularly. We bought DVC points when we were a family of 4. Had been trying and gave up, and lo and behold, we got of that trip! Now that the little guy is older than 3, we really don't have enough points to go every year. Rather than buy more points, we thought a better investment was the RV, and switch off every other year.

Kids don't know that this is the year we start, been camping at other sites for a year now. I'm going to secretly pack the camper with extended trip stuff and then just tell the kids we are going camping that weekend. Wonder how far South we will get before they notice something's up?

Little nervous about camping that long though... Never been longer than 4 days. Where to put everything, clothes, food... We bring a lot if food because we are a nut free/gluten free family. I guess we will just figure it out.

Are laundry's usually busy?

You will love your trip there. I had stayed at resorts, but now I just stay at FW. In all the years I been going, the laundry area at the comfort stations are hit and miss for being busy, only once did I find all the machines busy and came back 30 minutes later and had no issue as they where now all open and in the dryer. So by the time my wash was done, they where finished with drying.

My recommendation for packing is pack the food away, use all your storage including under sizzer couches. In my past MH I kept cans, bottles and even dry food in smaller boxes under the couch. When it comes to clothing, I always use the bedroom and closests and put it away, then keep a laundry basket and a laundry bag around for the dirty stuff. It saves space, just dedicate and area for the adults and and area of the kids.

Its and RV and you have used it before so I am sure you are used to the space limitations, but with some creativity you can make it work even for a long trip.

Honestly, we don't pack much more for a 2 week trip with the RV than we do for a weekend trip. We just plan on hitting a laundromat, which is easy at the Fort, and I've never waited for a washer or dryer there. One thing that is different from the DVC resorts, though, is that you'll have to pay for laundry. I keep a stash of quarters in the RV and we're good to go (well, now that they're in a spot that DS can't find and hit the camp stores or arcades with!) And we just re-stock our groceries as needed.

You will have a blast at the Fort!

Good point on the quarters, I never think about it as I get a roll or two ever year for the big trip to FL as part of the packing list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter