First stay @ SSR..observations

Most people really believed the resort mugs are good for life.

If I did not read the Disboards, I'd probably think this. Confession: I used to regularly take pool towels to my room before reading the Disboards :laundy::rotfl:

But seriously, at AKV over spring break the CM that rung up my mugs (which I do purchase every year) said "You know you can bring these back and use them every year and at any resort you stay in". :eek: Luckily I caught myself before launching into a Disboard shriek of NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!:eek::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::eek:
:goodvibes

OK so I took the advice of PP's and treated myself to a pedicure...WOW, it was AMAZING!!

I must say that the gym and spa alone might just be enough to lure me back in the near future, they TRULY are magnificent! And my husband wanted to personally thank the PP's who suggested I get a very pricey pedicure :lmao:

;) I remember one thread where a "husband" posted about his wife's experience at the Spa at SSR and I'll try and quote him but basically he said something to the fact that "it cost him $5 per toe and he couldn't figure out what they did to each toe that would cost that much" or something like that! :rotfl: But unfortunately, the Spa definately has WDW pricing. But DH and I look at it like this; it's vacation and I usually only do this 1-2 times a year.

Glad you enjoyed it. Now you need to try and massage! Your husband is going to hate us!!! :rotfl2:

;) I remember one thread where a "husband" posted about his wife's experience at the Spa at SSR and I'll try and quote him but basically he said something to the fact that "it cost him $5 per toe and he couldn't figure out what they did to each toe that would cost that much" or something like that! :rotfl: But unfortunately, the Spa definately has WDW pricing. But DH and I look at it like this; it's vacation and I usually only do this 1-2 times a year.

Glad you enjoyed it. Now you need to try and massage! Your husband is going to hate us!!! :rotfl2:

:rotfl: I remember that quote!:rotfl: $5 a toe is right! But SSR Spa has all but spoiled me for other pedicures. I had a DCL pedicure and it was awful! Never again. Even more expensive than SSR and it was equal to a polish change. The shops at home dont compare either. Yes they are half the price but they do half the job. So I wait for my vacations and go to SSR Spa.
I will be at AKV next week, but I will be heading over to the Spa for my Pedi before our cruise!:lovestruc

Lionqueen, do you remember the name of your tech? Just wondering if they have the same staff sounds like it if you had such a great experience. :cloud9: You will be impressed on how great your toes look even weeks later.

I love that you were able to get online and get real-time vacation tips!:wizard::laughing:

. . . . . . .
As usual, we saw a lot of people bending rules that cost members money. Why don't they place information in your welcome packet explaining trash & towel schedules, what you pay extra for, and so on!

The worst was the resort mug refills. Shame on Saratoga Springs for having a drink refill counter that is not supervised at the Grandstands pool. Shame on the 9 out 10 people who used it without a currently purchased mug. We saw personal cups and 10 year old Wilderness Lodge cups being used. They should have put this behind the counter. I thought about my dues rising every time I saw someone use it.

Second worst: what is with 50% of guests and pool towels? nearly half of people left their used towels on the chairs, or worse, on the ground. They also moved chairs around without moving them back. People, you are making our dues go up up up every year by doing this.

Third: People leaving their trash in the hall outside their door. Obviously many people this this is OK and leave it right outside their doors. Some realize they are not suppose to and leave it nearby but not at their own door.
I will way this - the only trash in our building was on the first floor at one end of the building. We were on the fourth floor at the opposite end. But I still took my trash down when it was full!. . . . . . . .

In all things, there are users and abusers.

I, too, am always amazed at the bending, stretching, or blatent breaking of rules we have all agreed to accept to maintain the quality of our ownership in DVC. Mugs and towel issues are big ones, but there are others that get my attention. That reenforces my belief that no matter how high you raise the price, the abusers always find a way to make their mark.

In all things, there are users and abusers.

Our dues dont pay for the soda. The mugs do. That is why the price increases every year for the mugs. Those that purchase are paying for their soda and everyone else's;) . . . . . .

I was informed by a CM that to maintain exclusivity in The World, Coke gives all of their products to Disney for free.

:rotfl: I remember that quote!:rotfl: $5 a toe is right! But SSR Spa has all but spoiled me for other pedicures. I had a DCL pedicure and it was awful! Never again. Even more expensive than SSR and it was equal to a polish change. The shops at home dont compare either. Yes they are half the price but they do half the job. So I wait for my vacations and go to SSR Spa.
I will be at AKV next week, but I will be heading over to the Spa for my Pedi before our cruise!:lovestruc

I'll never forget that post; he just couldn't imagine what they did to toes to make a pedicure that expensive!!!:rotfl2:

I'll be at SSR for my birthday week and guess where I'm going?? I already have an appointment for a massage and then a manicure/pedicure; compliments of my husband!!! :love:

I too would love to know the name of the person. I love Meghan for massage (and at last check she was there) but unfortunately the woman who did my last mani/pedi is gone :sad2: so I'll need the name of someone else.

I have to agree about the closet being not as useful in that layout. We also don't care for the food offerings at Artist Palette, but we LOVE Turf Club!!! In fact, no matter where we are staying, we usually eat at Turf Club multiple times a trip!:thumbsup2

In reference to the OP. We loved the Springs and just moved to Grandstand today. We had a full view of the fountain and the monsoons. Cute bird out by the pond and fountain wings spread all day. We loved our second floor studio and even enjoyed a board game from the community hall.

The only complaint we have about SSR and it could just be my bad luck( not trying to be the victim, just a fact) but on two separate occasions we waited over 45 min for a bus. One time in a thunder and lightning storm at pleasure island and the other this morning here at Congress Park waited 50 min for a bus to DTD, found out later we could have walked there in about 8 min.

Other than that we love it here and now have a view of DTD from our one Bdr through the trees. :thumbsup2

OK, serioiusly my husband is going to come on here with some words..:lmao: I booked a massage for Monday and can't wait! I will look to see if the gal that gave me my pedi is in and/or if I can get her name and post it here. It really was great!! Worth $65 (w/tip), but only on special occasions. I have yet to tell DH about the massage, but he will do his classic eye roll and then "whatever makes you happy honey" look; which makes our marriage work :rotfl2:. I don't think I"ll tell him the "exact" price maybe just a ballpark amount :rotfl:. Separate bank accounts do come in handy; except of course when buying our BLT points.

We went to Star Wars weekends today and saw the American Idol winner (Kris something I think) and had a GREAT time! I had one of the top 3 high scores2 on Toy Story Mania (at least when I left) and my boys got a picture with R2D2 & Luke Skywalker which they just loved. The weather is great, except raining every afternoon around 4:00

I will post our review of UP tomorrow after our viewing tonight. There is just something extra magical about seeing a Disney premiere at the DTD theatre.

OH, I almost forgot, we got a special sprinkling of pixie dust today!:wizard:
I was standing in line @ Earl of Sandwich (LOVE that place) when the gentleman behind me asked how many people I was ordering for, I told him 3 (my oldest son was not hungry). He said, "here take these, I'm leaving today and can't use them". He have me 3 meal vouchers!!!:thumbsup2 I told him thank you very much they will come in quite handy as we're not on the dining plan this trip. I told him that we had given our extra DDP credits to others on several occasions and really appreciated them. DH was thrilled and it just really made our day!:love:

More tomorrow...:hippie:

enjoy your trip happy to hear the positives about SSR...and happier to hear that someone besides myself uses the gym while on vacation!!!

I am surprised at how many people are in the gym every time I go. I'd say at least 10 people have been there every time I've gone.

I like to work out while on vacation too. It somehow makes eating the ice cream and popcorn tastes better :lmao:

I do it so that I only gain a pound or two as opposed to 5+ lbs..lol

We too wait to see all the Disney movies while at WDW. :goodvibes My boys really want to see up, so we will do that next weekend while there.

We wait for the rainiest day and then we catch the movie.

Funny about your Dh having words for us!:rotfl: Who said the internet was free?:rotfl: Another evil Disney plan. Give them free internet and all their DisFriends will tell them how to spend money:idea:

Love Earl's and the Chicken Empanadas at the window of Bongos. That's a treat for us. Extra hot sauce cause we're from Texas:laughing:

Was the $65 for an hour massage? That's not a bad price. I pay $75 an hour and think that's a deal.

I'm pretty sure that DVC leases back food operations to Disney, so I would think the cost of soda would be Disney's, not DVC's.

It's unlikely that even with 9 of 10 people not paying that Disney is losing money. At an average of about a penny per serving, think about how many servings are paid for with the price of the mug (the mug itself probably costs $2, maybe $3?). They cost a whole bunch of pennies!

Let's face it. If it was a money losing situation for Disney, they would not continue to allow it. They experimented with restricting it at Blizzard Beach a few years back with bar-coded mugs. I think they ended the test and I haven't seen it implemented anywhere since.

Disney knows it will be abused by return guests but surely considers it a benefit toward getting those repeat guests. I personally applaud them for it! The near $3 price in the parks for a soft drink is ridiculous. I've noticed a couple places in the parks have begun to use self serve also. Disney knows the mugs will be used there too yet they install them anyway. Again, proof they put some "customer satisfaction" value on it.

FWIW, I do buy a new mug whenevr new ones come out. However, until the design changes, I reuse that last one purchased.

Was the $65 for an hour massage? That's not a bad price. I pay $75 an hour and think that's a deal.

I don't think that's the price of the massage. I think that was the pedicure price including tip.

Let's face it. If it was a money losing situation for Disney, they would not continue to allow it. They experimented with restricting it at Blizzard Beach a few years back with bar-coded mugs. I think they ended the test and I haven't seen it implemented anywhere since. ...

They still have the barcoded mugs at BB and TL. I saw them today.

We spent one night at SSR last Sat night and thought it was wonderful. We were on the first floor of a building in the Springs right near the bus stop with a view of the fountain in the pond. Our room was beautiful, we never waited for a bus (we caught at least two buses in a one night stay).

But we did see a great big, black snake over by the Grandstand bus stop. Must have been two or three feet long and was being attacked by a mockingbird.

We had a wonderful walk around the property on Sunday before we headed to the MK for breakfast. The theming around the property is so great. The little touches here and there are really nice.

We'd stay at SSR again in a heartbeat.

By the way, at BCV, the bed was made up ahead of time. Pillows and blanket were stuffed into the holding area under the bed. Sheets were on the bed. No closet in the foyer, just in the bedroom because this is a lockoff and the door is located where the closet would be. We had a dedicated a few years ago and it did have the closet in the foyer. We just took the pack and play, high chair and vacuum cleaner out of the closet and stuffed them into the foyer area under the table and against the lockoff door.

:rotfl2:OK Lionqueen, now MY husband is going to have words. We leave in a week for OKW and now I am trying to figure out how to sneak over to SSR for a pedi.

But we did see a great big, black snake over by the Grandstand bus stop. Must have been two or three feet long and was being attacked by a mockingbird.

:eek: I've seen those long black snakes at OKW too.
It was slinking into the bushes and then along side the building. Fortunately, I was on the second floor!

Go mockingbird, go mockingbird!!

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences at SSR. I've been a DVC member for a few years but this July will be my first stay at SSR.

Looks like a Pedicure will be added to the list of things to do :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter