First Solo Trip - Not Sure What To Think

Maleficent Dragon

Member Since 2004; lost previous login.
I have been going to Disney once or twice a year every year since 2001. I have never gone alone.

I have a trip booked for early December. It was supposed to be me and my sister, but she has learned she is pregnant and will delivery in October. Obviously, as a new mommy, her focus and priorities are different. As I borrowed points in for the studio, I can either sell the 8-night reservation or I can go.

My husband is not a big fan of Disney Parks. My daughter is 17 now and loves WDW, but we were just there and she doesn't want to go again. They both know how much I enjoy going and my husband is strongly urging me to take a solo trip and take my time doing the things I love to do at my own pace.

Here is where it gets weird for me... I am fine with picking up something at a counter-service place and eating, but I am really weird about the whole "eating alone" thing. I would really love to do Narcoossee's and Ohana for breakfast, however I am told a table reservation for 1 is not an option and I just dont know about the whole dining alone thing. And, to be honest with you, I am not sure why that is an issue for me....it just is.

So for those of you who go solo - do you do table meals? Are you hesitant about dining alone? If so, how did you get over it?

I've been going to WDW for 10 years solo and table meals are my favorite thing to do. I look forward to dining alone because that's the only time I can order a meal at an expensive restaurant. Otherwise I'd be buying for those in my family who can't afford it. I've done so many table meals I can no longer count them. You'll have fun and enjoy your experience dining solo. I play on my phone or go to my favorite online forums while I eat.

I also have done Disney solo and am going again, alone, in the fall. I haven't ever had a problem eating out alone, but I know it can be more difficult for some. Fine dining restaurants make it a lot more fun! Disney is a friendly place, so at the Flying Fish I sat at the bar and the bartenders talked to whole time! Also, you can people watch, which is my favorite. I just sit and take in the atmosphere and what everybody is up to, watching the open kitchen or the servers wow their tables. I even do character meals, which is so fun alone! The characters give extra special attention! Donald and I took a selfie!

The only time I was uncomfortable was at Biergarten. The food and atmosphere is great, but it is shared tables. This is fine if the people you sit with are friendly, but at my table it was obvious they thought I was VERY weird for being there alone. And they were not chatty people like I am. When they did talk it was, Where is your family? You're really alone? That sort of thing. I powered through and kept smiling and trying to chat. By the end we were good friends, but I would never do that again. Too painful! I don't mind being alone, but I do mind others minding me being alone. :rotfl2:

Let us know what you decide!!

Awww, thank you both for the kind reassurance. I guess if all else fails I can play on my cellphone. LOL

So how does one go about getting a single table in a restaurant? I have been told that they will not book a table for one. Do I have to make a reservation for two and tell them I am alone at the podium? I dont want to get charged for a no-show.

I am going on my first solo trip in November. I am doing the QS dining plan but I would not mind doing TS alone one bit. You can absolutely reserve a table for 1. The online reservation system starts with 1 in the number of guests so there would be no problem. Some people even like to sit at the bar in certain restaurants. I am staying at WL so I actually might do Whispering Canyon breakfast in the quiet section in the restaurant. I also plan on doing an early 7:30am breakfast at The Grand Floridian Cafe. I loved it there last year and I don't mind paying OOP for breakfast since it's cheaper. I think you will have a great time solo! Just the thought of it is just so freeing! Waking up as early as I want to and starting my day how I want, where I want with no debating with anyone else!

I have booked plenty of ADRs for 1 using the online system, no problem. However, I have never tried to book Ohana (or any other "family style" meal) for 1, and when I booked Narcoossee's for this year, it would not let me book for 1, I had to book for 2. Since then, I've cancelled Narcoossee's and booked Yachtsman Steakhouse instead since I figured out that I will be spending most of that day at Epcot, but booking 1 at YS was no trouble. (FWIW, at the time I booked Narcoossee's, I was told on the Dis that it was no problem to book for 2 and show up as just 1.)

I enjoy doing TS meals and have found that I have no problem dining alone. I don't even play with my phone, or read, or anything. Often, I've been seated by a window as a solo, which is nice. Agree with others, if you're sociable and it's an option, sitting at the bar/counter might be more comfortable for you. Most of my servers have been great, and no one's been awful. I did solo breakfast at Hollywood & Vine for the Dis Jr characters and everyone was super-sweet to me, CMs and characters alike. I know not everyone feels this way, but my attitude is, if anyone thinks I'm weird for going to WDW alone and treating myself to a TS meal, that's their problem, and I shall remain blissfully oblivious to them. :goodvibes

Oddly enough, I think I feel more awkward eating CS by myself, because it seems like there aren't a lot of 2-top tables and I always feel like I'm taking up too much space.

I echo Karly05, I also had trouble getting Narcoosses for 1. Put in two guests and no problem, which I found really annoying. I ended up not eating there because of it. Same I've seen, with Ohana. Not sure why that is, but if you are dead set to eat there, just put in 2 people and show up solo! There's no fee or anything for changing party size. With one exception; dinner at the Chef's table at V&A. You have to be two or more since there is only one nightly seating. :charac2:

Oh well.

It also occurred to me to mention single dining at Cali Grille. One diner at a beautiful window seat, you won't be bored one minute with that kinda view! pixiedust:

I have been on 3 solo trips so far. I have tried to do a nice sit down meal on each trip. I did 1900 Park Fare my first trip. I stuffed myself silly. My waitress was awesome. When she asked why I was alone I told her I was a stay-at-home dad (of 3 at the time) and was away for a weekend to recharge my batteries. After hearing that she treated me as if I was the only person she was serving. And, as I was done eating she brought me a HUGE desert for free. I was so full but I ate most of it anyway so she didn't get in trouble for wasting it. Needless to say she got a nice tip.

Second trip I did the Grand Floridian Café. That waitress was nice too. It wasn't as busy so she hung out and talked when she could. But I like to people watch. I watched this family of 4 a few tables over. husband and wife with 2 small kids. The parents were looking at their phones the whole time, paying no attention to each other or the kids for the whole meal. It made me appreciate my kids a whole lot more. (I don't allow electronics at the table and that reaffirmed my rule in my mind).

This past trip I was scheduled to do Be Our Guest and had a reservation for 1. But, I had to cancel because I wasn't feeling well.

I would do more TS meals but they take a lot of time and I want to get as much done as I can when I am there. When I go out now, I don't get to relax as I now have 4 kids. Sitting by myself at a meal lets me relax, enjoy, and appreciate where I am.

Pick a few places you have always wanted to try and the family has not. Do those. Enjoy yourself. You will never see those people again. Who cares what they think about you eating alone. It takes self-confidence to that. Be proud and go for it.

fee or anything for changing party size. With one exception; dinner at the Chef's table at V&A. You have to be two or more since there is only one nightly seating. :charac2:

Oh well.

It also occurred to me to mention single dining at Cali Grille. One diner at a beautiful window seat, you won't be bored one minute with that kinda view! pixiedust:

What time would you suggest dinner for at California Grille?

I did 8:45. I was able to order, then watch Wishes. After Wishes, I was facing Epcot and could see high fireworks from Illuminations in the distance! It was a lovely night, and an out of this world meal! I dream of that bison tenderloin. So good!

The only time I was uncomfortable was at Biergarten. The food and atmosphere is great, but it is shared tables. This is fine if the people you sit with are friendly, but at my table it was obvious they thought I was VERY weird for being there alone. And they were not chatty people like I am. When they did talk it was, Where is your family? You're really alone? That sort of thing. I powered through and kept smiling and trying to chat. By the end we were good friends, but I would never do that again. Too painful! I don't mind being alone, but I do mind others minding me being alone.

I had a similar experience but in my case one family spoke no English and I spoke no Spanish, plus they were bewildered by the whole German thing so quickly ate and left. The other family hardly spoke at all, even among themselves. They also ate and left. On the other hand my servers were very attentive, especially when I told them in very rusty German that I'd lived in Germany and Austria. I still had a good time and will do it again some day. My other TS experiences have all been great.

I also people watch, but carry a book to read as well. Sometimes I've gotten a strange look but usually it's because seating may be limited and they want my table or chairs. I've even offered seats at my CS table to others, and had a seat offered to me.

As opposed to my experience at the Biergarten above, my best experience was at the Rose and Crown on the same solo trip. I had a lunch ADR but on a whim decided to visit Epcot the evening before. As I came up to the R&C desk, I overheard the CM tell a party of 4 that they were fully booked and no tables were available. Without much hope I asked about a table for one, telling them that I had an ADR for the next day so no big deal if I couldn't get a table. To my surprise they said they had one and within a few minutes I was seated with a pint in hand. It was truly a table for 1 in front of the fireplace as there was no room for a second chair. I had a book along, as is my custom, but doubt I read more than a page or two as my server was from a town not far from where I'd lived in the UK many years before, and he and his fellow servers showered me with attention and chatted with me when their duties allowed. A few tables down was Peter Mayhew, aka Chewbacca, and as he passed my table on leaving I just gave him a thumbs up to which he responded in kind and with a big grin. No words were spoken. It was a delightful evening.

I travel quite a bit and frequently dine alone. I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Dining alone at WDW is usually a pleasant experience, as the servers make you feel welcome, if not special. I think I actually get better service when I'm alone then with my family, if that's possible. I may get a few strange looks from other guests (oh, how sad, he has to eat alone), but never from a CM.

Last edited:
What a great evening at Rose and Crown! I haven't been there, but am thinking about adding it to my next trip. I love hearing about places that go above and beyond to make an experience extra special!

Awww, thank you both for the kind reassurance. I guess if all else fails I can play on my cellphone. LOL

So how does one go about getting a single table in a restaurant? I have been told that they will not book a table for one. Do I have to make a reservation for two and tell them I am alone at the podium? I dont want to get charged for a no-show.

You can do that, yes. I've done that before (going from 3 to 2 people). But you can get a reservation for 1, not sure who told you that you couldnt. In fact, I went on the disney website right now just to test it out, and yep, I got a reservation for 1 without a problem!

I went on my first solo trip in September last year, and it was the BEST. TRIP. EVER. Seriously. I found that I actually preferred it to traveling with others! I did some wonderful table meals, including two character meals! Great food and so much fun! Meal time was also when I took a moment to get on my phone and do some Facebooking. Posting photos of my adventures and replying to the scores of comments I was getting. In those moments, it almost felt like I was bringing my family and friends along on my adventures. :cutie:

As for actually booking the ADRs... Yes, you absolutely can book a table for 1. However, I booked all of my ADRs for 2, then just let them know at the podium that I was solo. Two reasons: (1) The ADR system is notorious for being a little dicey for odd-numbered parties, be it 1, 3, or 5. (2) I want to have that second seat available, just in case somebody decided to join me at the last minute, or I met another fun soloist here on the Dis and we wanted to meet up for a meal. Neither happened, so I went to all of my ADRs by myself, and just let the cast member at the podium know that my Party of 2 was now just me. Not once was this ever an issue. And they do not charge you a No Show fee as long as the person who booked the ADR (you) shows up, regardless if the whole party does. So you'll be just fine if you opt to books tables for 2, and might have better luck finding availability, too! :-)

I really appreciate all of the feedback and warm responses. Coming to the "solo" forum almost feels like a completely different board than posting on the Theme Park forums. LOL

I am a little nervous about 9 days in Disney by myself, but the more I am reading this forum and the responses from all of you, the more excited I am getting about how much fun I am going to have. This might actually lead to a trip report. :teeth:

I am a little nervous about 9 days in Disney by myself, but the more I am reading this forum and the responses from all of you, the more excited I am getting about how much fun I am going to have. This might actually lead to a trip report. :teeth:
That reminds me of something else that really helped me get over the nerves regarding my first solo trip... Reading other solo trip reports!!! Gave me lots of ideas, too! My September TR is in my signature, if you'd like to check it out. I just remember that reading other solo TRs was very reassuring for me! :hug:

It's really funny, but I have more trouble dining alone at restaurants at home than I do at WDW. There is just so much to enjoy in the restaurants at WDW that being alone isn't intimidating at all. One of my favorite restaurants is the Rose and Crown. The ambiance is wonderful. I also love Cape May Cafe at Beach Club. Awesome food. I've gotten no strange looks from anyone at a TS restaurant, but a lot of annoyed looks at the CS places when it's crowded and I'm alone at a table for four.

Once you get to WDW, I'm sure you'll love your solo trip. I wouldn't go any other way. :teeth:

This April will be my 3rd solo trip to Disney. I love going solo. There is no compromising on where to eat, which park to visit, which rides to ride. It's all about you...which is a nice change of pace. Though I was a little nervous about dining alone, it really wasn't a problem. It's a great time to catch up on facebook/instagram and brag to family back home about the awesome food you are eating. My first solo trip I made ADR at Rose & Crown. The atmosphere is lovely plus I sat near a window. I actually wound up chatting with a couple that was seated next to me. The Plaza Restaurant is another favorite of mine. Lots of windows and opportunities to people watch. I even splurged on dessert. The Plaza Sundae is AMAZING!

My 2nd solo trip was last September and I was able to do MNSSHP. Yes, I put on a silly tshirt, my Minnie ears and walked down Main Street trick or treat bag in hand. I have no shame when it comes to candy.

I have made reservations at the Hoop Dee Doo Revue for my April trip. No problems booking for 1. Pretty exciting about this one. It's something I've wanted to do for a while.

Another quick point about going solo is that you can maneuver through crowds a lot easier than when you are with a group. Some of the rides even have single rider lines.

I hope you have a wonderful solo trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter