• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"First Of All, How Dare You" A November 2015 TR! **New TR Link!**

Amber and I decided to split something, which unfortunately mosts of the time means we have to bypass the cupcakes, cause Amber doesn't like peanut butter or red velvet or happiness.

"or happiness" made me laugh (though I agree with her on the peanut butter bit - especially if it's peanut butter and chocolate mixd. I know, I'm a heathen). But i love that brownie! I get it whenever we go to Starring Rolls.

he managed to get me in to a clinic yesterday morning, and the dentist confirmed that my two upper wisdom teeth have major cavities in them, but ultimately all four should be taken out.

Oof, that sounds horrible. Hopefully you'll feel better soon! I feel you on not liking the dentist.

Amber has been accepted in the Nursing Program!

:hmghost::tigger:yay!

and I want as much Rey merch as I can get

There wasn't a lot in April (I was very disappointed) but maybe by August that'll change? If there isn't any in HS we found a decent sized display in Once Upon a Toy that actually had mostly Rey and BB8 merchandise.

I've fallen a bit behind but first wanted to say a big congratulations to Amber - that is quite an accomplishment!

On the flip side, very sorry to hear about your dental issues and the pain and just the impact that it has had on your life. I wish you the best for June 17th and obviously something worthy of being anxious for but it will be great to have it taken care of and you can just move on

So we know return you to your normal, clever comments ;)

Back a few updates it seems like you were having a pretty good morning at DHS. That meet with Chip N Dale was really cute!

Bummer about TSMM messing up at the end - but like you said, what can you do? Complain just to complain? I am sure some would but I kinda think life is too short for that

"Amber and I decided to split something, which unfortunately mosts of the time means we have to bypass the cupcakes, cause Amber doesn't like peanut butter or red velvet or happiness." .... that's got to be a challenge, not liking happiness and all ;) Although that can't be true, since she married you (cue the "awwwww"s)

I know Mama Melrose isn't one that is often mentioned as a top food option at WDW but I always think your steaks look really good.

Sorry that Amber didn't get picked to be in the Indy show or as the Rebel spy ... someday though, and I am sure it will mean that much more

Cool meet with Phineas and Ferb! That's cute that Elyse got smitten with Phineas but not Ferb.

Too bad they missed the Disney Jr show but those are some really nice family PP pics!

WTG Amber! Well done.

Sorry to hear about your dental issues. Generally, unless you develop dry socket, the pain does not last long. I had to have mine out three days before my wedding and I was good to go. I hope that helps your fears a little.

I feel a foreboding about Fantasmic. I hope I'm very very wrong.

"or happiness" made me laugh (though I agree with her on the peanut butter bit - especially if it's peanut butter and chocolate mixd. I know, I'm a heathen). But i love that brownie! I get it whenever we go to Starring Rolls.
Thank you for being on my side about peanut butter and chocolate! And that brownie was a delicious choice.

I've fallen a bit behind but first wanted to say a big congratulations to Amber - that is quite an accomplishment!
Thank you! I was so nervous about not making it, but I'm really excited to start in the fall :)

Although that can't be true, since she married you (cue the "awwwww"s)
Awwwwwwwwwwww.

Sorry that Amber didn't get picked to be in the Indy show or as the Rebel spy ... someday though, and I am sure it will mean that much more
Someday I will and it will. Hopefully that someday is in August.

WTG Amber! Well done.
Thank you! :)

Congrats to Amber. Don't worry too much about your wisdom teeth! It's not bad at all. You also have Disney to look forward too!!!!

It's okay, I can handle people disliking peanut butter :P I'm mostly saying that because she's always wanting to share snacks, but she never likes the snacks I want to try XD

Oof, that sounds horrible. Hopefully you'll feel better soon! I feel you on not liking the dentist.

Thank you :) I hope I won't be out of commission for too long, but it's good to get it done now. That way it'll be out of the way before Disney time comes.

There wasn't a lot in April (I was very disappointed) but maybe by August that'll change? If there isn't any in HS we found a decent sized display in Once Upon a Toy that actually had mostly Rey and BB8 merchandise.

Hopefully! Thanks for the tip with Once Upon a Toy :) I have a pretty massive girl crush on Rey, and Amber is all over BB8, so you know. They better watch out, we'll be emptying the place :P

On the flip side, very sorry to hear about your dental issues and the pain and just the impact that it has had on your life. I wish you the best for June 17th and obviously something worthy of being anxious for but it will be great to have it taken care of and you can just move on

So we know return you to your normal, clever comments ;)

Back a few updates it seems like you were having a pretty good morning at DHS. That meet with Chip N Dale was really cute!

Bummer about TSMM messing up at the end - but like you said, what can you do? Complain just to complain? I am sure some would but I kinda think life is too short for that

"Amber and I decided to split something, which unfortunately mosts of the time means we have to bypass the cupcakes, cause Amber doesn't like peanut butter or red velvet or happiness." .... that's got to be a challenge, not liking happiness and all ;) Although that can't be true, since she married you (cue the "awwwww"s)

I know Mama Melrose isn't one that is often mentioned as a top food option at WDW but I always think your steaks look really good.

Cool meet with Phineas and Ferb! That's cute that Elyse got smitten with Phineas but not Ferb.

Too bad they missed the Disney Jr show but those are some really nice family PP pics!

Thank you :) I am not looking forward to the moment of getting them taken out, but I know I'll be glad I did afterward.

It was really sucky for TSMM, but now I'm hopeful that with the third track we'll get to ride it more than once this summer and it'll make up for that!

Awwwwwwwww :P

Mama Melrose steaks are really great. I've mentioned before I'm not much of a steak eater, and that steak... so good.

She was very disappointed not to be picked, but she's excited to get another shot at it. We'll see what comes of it!

I will miss Phineas and Ferb. They were really fun to meet.

They did get some nice shots so that's good!

Sorry to hear about your dental issues. Generally, unless you develop dry socket, the pain does not last long. I had to have mine out three days before my wedding and I was good to go. I hope that helps your fears a little.

I feel a foreboding about Fantasmic. I hope I'm very very wrong.

I'll definitely do all in my power to keep the chances of higher pain to a minimum XD I read somewhere using straws causes dry sockets so it's a good thing we don't have any of those in the house :P And wow, that's definitely good for you! Hopefully I'm the same way. I've had mixed reviews from people. One girl was good to go the next day, another one took a few days to recover, the other couldn't talk properly for a full two weeks. But mine are already fully out so that'll probably help some.

No worries, I didn't mean to forebode anything for Fantasmic :)

Congrats to Amber. Don't worry too much about your wisdom teeth! It's not bad at all. You also have Disney to look forward too!!!!

I'm gonna ask the dentist if I can listen to music while they're working on me, cause the sounds and smells are one of the things I hate the most at the dentist. Can't do anything about the smells, but I can make myself listen to other stuff. And yeah, it's good to know I'll be back in shape before Disney!

Last edited:

Day 5, Part 4 - "But... We Were Ready For This!"

For our part, Amber and I figured that since we were still in the area, we might as well go have a bit of movie fun.

075_zps3bdgepxj.jpg

Muppets Vision 3D, here we come!

Always gotta take them 3D glasses pictures.

076_zpss4ympulw.jpg

Now, I have to admit, Muppets Vision isn't a 'must do' for me, possibly because I didn't really grow up watching anything Muppets related. But it is a great place to relax in a seated, air conditioned building, and it has some great lines as well.

"It's a salute to all nations, but mostly America."

After that we spent a bit of time wandering around, figuring out what we should do next.

077_zpsdatanp6k.jpg

Streets of America, you will be missed. I remember the first time we set foot in that section, and we were at first so taken aback at the fact that the pavement was so terrible whereas the rest of the park was pretty much flawless - until we realized it was the 'streets of America', and then it made sense.

Honestly, I think at the time I was more bummed about the knowledge that it was the last year running for Osborne lights, so I didn't really put much thought into the disappearance of the Streets of America. And there really wasn't much to this area in terms of stuff to do, except walking around and taking pictures - but maybe that's why I'll miss it.

078_zpsorsg26th.jpg

See you tonight, Osborne lights!

079_zps2sqjhkc4.jpg

We passed by Santa Goofy, but the line was definitely too long for us to stop by at that point.

080_zpsgfmyrxwp.jpg

So we headed over to One Man's Dream!

081_zpsqfudhxek.jpg

We walked around and read up and just enjoyed looking at the memorablia and such. We bypassed the movie (cause it wasn't the movie - again, how dare they?) and headed back out after we'd seen everything we wanted to see.

We decided to stop for some Photopass pictures!

The photographer was less than enthusiastic, but we still got a couple of good shots out of it.

082_zps37ccnjjr.jpeg

She directed us to give some thumbs up. So we complied.

083_zpsk1mkjreh.jpeg

At that point, we were nearing the meeting time we'd set up for Fantasmic, but we still had about a half hour to kill, and we didn't want to just sit around.

So what does a person do with half an hour to kill in Hollywood Studios?

084_zps89595nzy.jpg

Singer Rider's line, here we come!

085_zpsbwgbsyva.jpg

It went by pretty quickly. If memory serves, we went pretty much right to the show room, and then there was a slightly longer wait but we were on before too long, and we did get the same car.

Now, I'll level with you guys here. I have no idea what I was trying to do - and it did not turn out well.

But for the sake of honest reporting, here is my ride picture.

086_zpsbbao5rsx.jpeg

Amber went the usual route with her dead pan face. I probably should have stuck to that too.

087_zpsn4k9lqsr.jpeg

We were soon off, and headed out. We were maybe a couple of minutes late at this point for our meeting time, but we'd given an early meeting time so we didn't worry too much about it.

088_zpsxqifbd8h.jpg

We worried so little that we stopped for a picture :P

089_zpsyy4xxyvi.jpeg

We did, of course, get it pointed out to us once we met up with the family how we'd stressed what time they should be back, and here we were, late. But it was mostly all teasing and we still had a couple of minutes to wait until we could go in.

While waiting for us, Curtis had made a good purchase.

090_zpstamffvsv.jpg

Kameron had his as well.

After everybody had regrouped and was ready to set off, we headed into the line and walked right in.

Sorcerer Mickey's section!

091_zpshih4bc2t.jpg

That, right there, makes the dining package worth it for us. Not having to stress out about good spots, or about lining up an hour in advance.

We sat close to the back, seeing as Grandma was still in her EVC.

Amber and I were looking forward to the pre-show. I know a lot of people think it's tacky, but we enjoy it, and it passes the time. And we were ready, guys!

You know in the singalong portion, when they cut off the music and you have to complete? You know when they play Sweet Caroline, and the crowd basically goes "Sweeeet Caroliiiine, BAM BAM BAM, *mumbles mumbles mumbles*"? Well, we used to be part of the mumbling crowd.

Not this time. Nope. We had learnt the lyrics. We were ready!

And then.

No pre-show.

NO. PRE. SHOW.

We were so upset.

(Btw, anyone knows if that's an official change, they got rid of the pre-show for good, or we just had back luck on a day when they weren't there?)

In spite of this distressing start to our Fantasmic experience, we of course enjoyed the show as much as usual. We didn't really take any pictures, because we just wanted to be able to sit back and watch.

Curtis' Glow with the Show ears ended up not syncing with the show, which was definitely disappointing. He exchanged them on the way out, so at least there's that.

At this point, the group split up again. Mom, Grandma, Aunt Sarah, Uncle Butch and the kids headed back to the resort, although we tried to sell them the lights, but they were just done for the night.

Kameron and Curtis stuck with us for a bit, though, and we quickly made our way toward the Streets of America. Fantasmic had ended around 7:30, and the park was set to close at 8. We'd read somewhere that they keep the lights dancing for an hour after closing, but we weren't sure if that was correct, so we wanted to hurry.

When we got there, we noticed that Goofy's line was really short. Now we were in a pickle!

The line attendant tried to help us set our priorities straight. He wasn't a hundred percent sure that the lights would keep running after 8, as he hadn't worked it before, but there were still about fifteen minutes until closing, and he assured us that he would not be closing the line until 8.

We decided to go through and take in the sight of the streets and make it back before 8 to get in line. We were still hoping the lights would still be on after we were done meeting Goofy, so we went through at a decent pace, and made it back to the line about five minutes before closing!

092_zpso0muztp1.jpg

There was a group of kids in line in front of us. Well, I say kids. They were college aged. But you know, early college years, so still teenagers.

Clearly, they knew this particular friend of Goofy, because they spent a lot of time with him and were a little obnoxious. Other people in line weren't particularly impressed. Even we were a little 'eh' at that point. Like, everyone deserves their time with character meets - but they were definitely up there somewhere between five and ten minutes, when everybody else had gone through in a couple of minutes.

They did end up leaving eventually, and before too long we were up there with Santa Goofy!

093_zpsdd7f6qgo.jpeg

094_zpsvtkfhtht.jpeg

Click for next post

Day 5, Part 5 - "Music?" "Music."

And now, I present to you, a bunch of Osborne Lights pictures!

This is really mainly what this whole update is about.

After we were done meeting Goofy, it was obviously past closing - but lo and behold, the lights were still on, and they were still dancing!

095_zpstc5ny7mf.jpg

096_zps0xkdlugn.jpg

097_zpsk5hdtygq.jpg

This time, we went through at a more leisurely pace. We wanted to take it all in, and it wasn't that late that sticking around for a while longer would make us hate ourselves the next morning.

098_zpsbkkzm8z7.jpg

099_zpsmgadpsgm.jpg

100_zps25hltyno.jpg

Hard to see, but I think this is supposed to be Minnie.

101_zpsoql8imbn.jpg

102_zpsxkzvves0.jpg

Now, I have to say...

It's really great when the lights start dancing. It's so cool to see them sync to the music.

But if I'm entirely honest, I really like the atmosphere better when they are not dancing. Maybe it's because of the kind of music that usually plays as just background music, versus the kind of music that plays when they're dancing. Just walking along while soft, nostalgic Christmas songs are playing just makes me happy, though.

Man am I gonna miss these.

103_zps9dfc0vq2.jpg

104_zps1nrtciab.jpg

We did decide to wait in a couple of lines for Photopass pictures before heading on our way out.

105_zps4w5egw3j.jpeg

106_zpsukihxwu3.jpeg

And then, after probably sticking around for a good half hour, we decided to head on our way out. We did have an early morning the next day, with very important plans.

107_zpsyuixndtv.jpg

We decided we still had time for one more picture though, in front of the Hollywood Studios Christmas tree!

And we even had a surprise guest ;)

108_zpslkhhzpx3.jpeg

Finally, it was time to make our way to our bus stop, for real.

Except... that was us and everybody else staying at the Sports, apparently!

109_zpsqj0bqved.jpg

In that photo, we're at the back of the line. As you can see, it follows the railing along the curve before going into the actual line, which of course winds some more.

This was probably one of the longest lines we'd ever seen for the Sports.

While waiting, we struck up conversation with the Dad of a family who was sitting nearby. He was wondering if it might not be faster to get into another All-Stars line. We figured the lines were probably about as long for all three resorts, because the Movies at least surely seemed to be. Amber ended up going to check, and came back with the report that the line for the Music was basically empty.

However, a bus had just come and gone for the Music. But then, there was no way we'd end up fitting on the next bus to the Sports, so we'd have to wait til another came.

So, after looking at each other, we ended up deciding to just go for it. The Dad and his family followed suit - as did a few more people along the day, because as it turned out, while we were getting into the line for the Music, a bus pulled up!

That bus was practically empty. There was still sitting room after it pulled away.

We made it back to the All-Star Music before too long, and then we simply walked across the parking lot, over to the Sports!

110_zpsfb82fkt1.jpg

I don't think it was much longer of a walk than we had when we stayed at the Music and had to walk all the way back to the Broadway section. Yet another win for the All-Stars!

We were back in our room before too late, and headed straight to bed for our early wake up call the next day!

Click for next post

Last edited:
Day 6, Part 1 - Africa's That Way, Bye!

Our early wake up call on this day was due to a very simple reason - Extra Magic Hours!

Now, I know EMHs can tend to mean more crowded parks when they're of the evening edition. But morning EMHs? They tend to be pretty good. Most people aren't as willing to get up very early as they are to stay up late.

However, we're all for an extra hour in the morning time, so we set our alarms even earlier than we had in the past few days, got ready to head out and left our MouseKeeping envelope out.

001_zpsxx3uv2ro.jpg

As you might have guessed, today was an Animal Kingdom day!

002_zpsaxb8yvfm.jpg

We were pretty well right on the dot as far as time planning went, so we were pretty happy.

003_zpseddguzvs.jpg

004_zpskl0cssbq.jpg

Elsye was given a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast, although she was told of course she shouldn't eat it all.

005_zps6wk5tr2c.jpg

Yeah, she ate it all.

Ready for a wild time!

006_zpsf6krzkwk.jpg

007_zpsmuuiflka.jpg

We headed over toward the Tree of Life, which we of course had totake a picture of.

008_zpstjlyddzw.jpg

Now, Amber and I had already decided we didn't want to do the safari this time around, although we'd skipped it also in September. However, we knew the rest of the family would enjoy it, so we figured first thing in the morning would be the best time for them to do it.

We gave them general directions and which signs to follow to head over toward Africa, and then we split. We had important business to attend to.

009_zpsz2y8pguz.jpg

Looming in the distance...

010_zps4zsn1n9z.jpg

Hello, gorgeous Everest!

011_zpszqe14dev.jpg

Now, when figuring we wouldn't join the family for the safari, we decided we should challenge ourselves, and see how many times we could ride Expedition Everest in a row!

We figured we'd start in the regular queue for however long it was a decent wait, and then move over to the single riders' line, until right about 9.

So, we started off according to plan.

012_zpsnaqalbhf.jpeg

Super excited for ride number 1!

Unfortunately, that was already the end of the line for Amber, at least for the time being. The ride on an empty stomach didn't do her any good, and she got off feeling quite nauseous. She ended up going on a hunt for food while I rode some more (which she told me I should, so you know, no bad wife award here).

Pretty happy about ride number 2.

013_zpsiod6atyh.jpeg

Cool with ride number 3.

014_zpsgl7i4nfm.jpeg

Okay with ride number 4.

015_zpsfhdoo8y7.jpeg

Little bored for ride number 5.

016_zps50ymfgpt.jpeg

(But you know, still having a great time!)

Meanwhile, Amber did some Asia exploration.

017_zpsx9dpzztt.jpg

Passing behind the Tree of Life.

018_zpsxa2z3uet.jpg

019_zpslx16bny4.jpg

She ended up at Starbucks, since there really weren't that many other food places open yet.

020_zps0roml4so.jpg

We already have too many mugs for what is reasonable for two girls to own, but I want those, from each park. I will gladly get rid of other mugs to make room for them.

021_zpswt0m9oni.jpg

She grabbed a croissant for food, since it would fill her well enough without bieng too sweet. And you know, it was fine as far as croissants go ;)

022_zpsoaqmadol.jpg

Click for next post

Last edited:
Oh, you beat my record - the motion starts to give me a headache after 3 times in a row!

I'm really pretty lucky in that way! I rarely get sick or anything on rides. Unless I'm already not feeling well prior to getting on it, I'll get off fine.

The only ride that's uncomfortable for me at Disney is 7DMT, because of the seats. My legs bounce back and forth between those bars, even if I try to keep them stable, and I always end up with bruises on my thighs :headache: I honestly don't know what they were thinking of when they made those seats. Definitely not of their adult guests. I mean, I'm a bit on the larger side - but even for Amber it's uncomfortable, because her legs are really long.

Day 6, Part 2: "She needs to chill."

Once I'd finished up my croissant and felt a bit better, I made my way back to Everest and took some pictures along the way. After all, Animal Kingdom is a very photogenic park.

023_zps1jffs9x2.jpg

It's just so wild looking.

024_zps31mys9m2.jpg

The monkeys were being monkeys.

025_zpsefyrtnte.jpg

I've heard it said before and I'll repeat it: flags are the balloons of Animal Kingdom.

Honestly, just walking along and snapping pictures of the park is always a nice time for me. I love the rides, I love the characters, but being in Disney and just appreciating my surroundings is tons of fun.

026_zpsbu0jfuhf.jpg

027_zps7fsxpxay.jpg

By that point it was about the time we needed to make our way to go and meet up with the family anyway.

So, I grabbed Marie out of the dump shop when she got off and we started to make the trek to Africa.

028_zps9mnzw5lv.jpg

We had told the family ahead of time where we planned on meeting up, figuring that they couldn't miss it when it was right by the live band and stage area, next to the bathrooms.

When we got there we found Aunt Sarah, Uncle Butch and the kids, who admitted that they had gone ahead of the rest of the group to get on when they saw how many other people went the same way.

029_zpstamiz6c4.jpg

Elsye had enjoyed it and was busy being a cutieface. She'd also gained a new Simba that she'd insisted upon when seeing it, we were told.

I asked Boston and Ramsey how they'd liked it while we waited for the rest of the family. Ramsey, being the talkative little fellow that he is, went on to tell me about things he'd learned and how much he liked it. I got a simple, "I liked it" from Boston.

When the family got off, they ended up going to the wrong side of the building. After some texting between Aunt Sarah and Kameron, Marie went to find them so we could all reunite.

The other group had really enjoyed the safari as well, so we're glad that we made the call for them to go ahead and do it.

But now we had other plans that needed to be attended to. Other plans on the other side of the park in the form of a FP.

Where were we headed?

030_zpsypqyaw3p.jpg

If you've followed along before, you know I love Dinoland USA and especially the priced ride within Dinoland...

031_zpsw9nw1wqc.jpg

Uncle Butch didn't feel like going, so a rider swap wasn't bothered with and the little boys, the big boys, Aunt Sarah, Marie and I went to use our fastpasses while everyone else relaxed at the Boneyard with Elsye.

032_zpsxdz0nwpv.jpeg

There is a lot going on in this picture, so let's bring it in to get a closer look. Shall we?

032-1_zpspd5zng2y.jpg

As usual, Marie had her eyes shut. and I struck a pose. Darn magic bands never telling me the time.

Kameron and Curtis seem a bit confused, but Curtis has crazy eyes.

Aunt Sarah looks uncertain.

Boston looks bored but that is his resting face (a child after my own heart) and judging from the grip he has on the side, he's not all content either. Ramsey clearly is a bit frightened; Just like that kid in the first row.

Overall the consensus was that the ride was enjoyable. Much to Marie's confusion. She's glad that it's down for our trip in August, but it hurts my soul.

When we were finished, we had to walk over to what Marie and I enjoy for it's cheesiness.

034_zpsnprqjptn.jpg

We're erupting with gifts is probably Marie's favorite sign in most of Disney.

035_zpsyewaekht.jpg

If Primeval Whirl hadn't been in refurb we probably would have gone for a ride, but it was, so we had to pass.

Instead, the boys (big and little) went with Marie and me on a different ride.

036_zpsfq9w5iwu.jpg

Curtis has worked the games department at the local Cedar Fair park for many years, so he was interested in what they had here.

037_zpsyrqic6q7.jpg

I adore this picture because it captures Boston's uncertainty and Ramsey's uncertainty and the fact that they are fairly different.

Since we hadn't gotten around to Dumbo yet, we figured that TriceraTop Spin was a close second that everyone could enjoy.

Not to mention the wait time was next to zero, so why not?

The riding arrangements were to be as expected.

038_zpswupsxsos.jpg

039_zpstsr2ohvm.jpg

040_zpsunpgddcx.jpg

The boys had a great time being able to control things. Plus they were excited when we spotted Aunt Sarah on the ground.

After we'd finished flying our dinosaur though, it was time to get moving for our next plan. What was that?

041_zpsmfzgza3t.jpg

The group didn't sit together here if I remember correctly though I couldn't say how it ended up split. I know Mom and Grandma were sitting in the handicapped section, possibly alone with everyone else sitting together or possibly with Kameron and Curtis. Either way, Marie and I were just happy to enjoy the show.

We love Finding Nemo the Musical and luckily the family seemed to as well. Plus, sitting down in the air conditioning for 40 minutes never hurts either.

After we learned to go with the flow, we swam on over to our lunch location.

Which was...

I'm sorry I don't have a picture, but Flame Tree Barbeque! We knew that the family would love it, so even though I'm not a huge fan that's where we went.

Now with such a big group I knew finding seating would be tricky, so while everyone else got in line to pay, I went to go scope out a place to sit. I ended up finding one with two large tables pressed together down in the seating area over the little bridge on the right. Not the furthest down to the water but easily accessible for Grandma.

So, I went ahead and threw my bag (taking my cards out) and cardigan on the tables and then booked it up to the line to tell Marie and Grandma (the ones closest to me when I got there) where to go. I pointed out the bridge and mentioned that it was right off of it down on the right.

Afterward, I went back to the table and sat to wait. And wait. Until Aunt Sarah came up with Elsye and she was pissed. Immediately when she gets there she starts snapping at me about how I should have given better directions to everyone and how she'd had to walk all over the place looking for me and I should have been out front to make it easier for people to find.

All the while I'm sitting there like:
chill_zps5xtw8ymo.gif

When she finished I explained that I hadn't wanted to leave the table unattended and that I'd thought I'd done a good job of giving some directions. This did not go over well and I got snapped at again while waiting for everyone to get back.

Finally, they all came and while some people had taken the long way around (basically everyone but Uncle Butch and Marie) none of them seemed to be upset with the directions I'd given. In fact they were all in great moods, even Grandma walking on her *broken foot* and taking an unnecessary detour was just like, "Oh no, it's fine. Your directions were fine, I was just uncertain of which way to go, but I found you so it's okay."

I was clearly unhappy though so when Aunt Sarah went to go grab some things people asked what was wrong and I explained, which wasn't met very approvingly. Uncle Butch basically said, "She needs to chill" Or, that's the G rated version of what he actually said anyway.

We tried to push past it and eat, however.

042_zpsndoauqqh.jpg

Marie got the chicken and ribs combo with the chocolate dessert and grapes and I got the pulled pork sandwich with grapes. It wasn't spectacular (I prefer the pulled pork at Cosmic Rays tbh) but it was good enough.

The meal had to the potential to be alright too but Aunt Sarah was still complaining about how badly I'd given directions and how she'd gotten lost and now she had to go to the bathroom but she hadn't had enough time to sit because she had to look for me.

This was the final straw for Curtis, who apparently hadn't appreciated Aunt Sarah's complaining at me or Marie especially considering that we'd paid the majority of their trip.

So he was like:
friends-hand-gesture_zpstfppyetl.gif

Right in the middle of his meal. (Without any hand gestures, although I'm pretty sure that internally there were some)

If you followed along with our May 2014 TR you'd know that I reacted similarly when I'd had enough on a trip (link in signature). So, I could definitely understand the impulse.

Kameron left his food behind to go and check that Curtis was alright and the rest of us tried to get past the awkwardness and eat. I think I talked a little with Marie in French quietly so that I could vent.

Luckily, our plans didn't require us to be together for a little while longer. So after lunch we went our separate ways telling anyone who wanted to ride our next FP where to meet us and anyone who wasn't interested when the final FP would be.

On the way out I had to stop to take a picture of the construction going on for Rivers of Light.

043_zpstxmfg5l6.jpg

And then Marie and I wandered on our way, glad to not be a part of that mess any longer.

Click for next post

Last edited:
It seems like someone was not paying attention to the Nemo message. That's so sad. I tried to turn our trip in December into a little family reunion and now I am glad I failed. Most of her problem seems to be misplaced anxiety because after all it's not like you were in another restaurant but still it's so hard when someone has to do something like this everyday. I guess she was overwhelmed by the crowds.

Oh well. You're all having a nice time checking all the boxes and seeing all the sights. I can't wait to see Animal Kingdom.

Aw man, I know exactly what it's like to go to Disney with someone like your Aunt Sarah but still, man. Hoping the rest of the day ends up well for you guys!

And you know I agree with you about AK and picture taking - it's such a lush and beautiful park!

It looks like you had a blast on Everest. I don't think I could go on it 5 times though. I remember getting off of it the first time I rode a little dizzy, but 5..., now that's impressive!
I'm so sorry about your aunt. I think there comes a breaking point for everyone, although how can you not be happy at the happiest place on earth? We are going in November with my parents and I am super nervous! We have gone with them before, but have always had separate rooms. This time we have a two bedroom to share with them. I know both my mom and dad may both have meltdowns (it's happened in the past). Any advice would be great!

I too am not a fan of them replacing the One Man's Dream movie with previews ... be nice if at least they would alternate it or something so those that want to see the Walt movie can

I think if your RnRC picture you are adjusting your glasses to see something more clearly .... or something

Living in the northeast you are pretty much required to know all the words to Sweet Caroline - but bummer you didn't get to use your new found knowledge. I read on another TR that they had a DJ playing music or something as the pre-show so perhaps they did get rid of the other version

Glad you enjoyed the main show though

That was nice of that CM to look out for you and make sure you got to see some of the lights if they didn't stay on for after park closing - and glad things worked out for you in the end

I've been reading some conflicting rumors if the lights will come back in some form or not. I know so many people love them so I hope something comes back!

Great picture of the two of you existing the park!

Smart move with the bus!

I love your necklace that you have on for AK day!

And how awesome you got on Everest so many times ... too bad about Amber but at least she got on once and also glad that she, er, you (now that Amber started the post indicating that she was ok) ... well, whatever the right pronoun is to use, I am glad Amber felt better after eating the croissant

Glad to hear everyone else enjoyed the safari.

I still haven't gone on Dinosaur and was planning to try to figure out a way to go on it during our upcoming trip (no one else in the family seems interested) and then I read it will be in refurb, so, oh well ... that is a first rate ride photo though!

Sorry to hear about the drama at lunch ... it really seems like you did the best that was possible - really not easy with large groups and it seems like everyone else found you. Glad that Curtis said something though so you didn't have to bear it all yourself and also glad that you were splitting up after that - seems like that was needed

It seems like someone was not paying attention to the Nemo message. That's so sad. I tried to turn our trip in December into a little family reunion and now I am glad I failed. Most of her problem seems to be misplaced anxiety because after all it's not like you were in another restaurant but still it's so hard when someone has to do something like this everyday. I guess she was overwhelmed by the crowds.

Oh well. You're all having a nice time checking all the boxes and seeing all the sights. I can't wait to see Animal Kingdom
Well there is usually drama with Aunt Sarah no matter what happens. Even Christmas with her can have its moments. I love her but the woman needs to learn to chill. So, in that instance it is really more about your family. If they aren't clashing in everyday life they probably won't as much on vacation. I guess she must have been overwhelmed by something.

Animal Kingdom is a gorgeous park! I mean, it's not my favorite because I find it a bit lacking in things to do and it's super hot there but it is undeniably gorgeous.

Aw man, I know exactly what it's like to go to Disney with someone like your Aunt Sarah but still, man. Hoping the rest of the day ends up well for you guys!

And you know I agree with you about AK and picture taking - it's such a lush and beautiful park!

Thanks! Yeah, it was just a bummer when during the planning she seemed so easy going.

Totally. They nailed the theme there. I just wish that it wasn't always so hot.

It looks like you had a blast on Everest. I don't think I could go on it 5 times though. I remember getting off of it the first time I rode a little dizzy, but 5..., now that's impressive!
I'm so sorry about your aunt. I think there comes a breaking point for everyone, although how can you not be happy at the happiest place on earth? We are going in November with my parents and I am super nervous! We have gone with them before, but have always had separate rooms. This time we have a two bedroom to share with them. I know both my mom and dad may both have meltdowns (it's happened in the past). Any advice would be great!

Marie has no limits when it comes to coasters. Even without getting motion sick, I have some though.

I'm not sure what her deal was, to be honest. Her moods can be unpredictable and while I understand that, it was still difficult.

Advice wise, I can say that if you know they're meltdown prone, just prepare for it. I didn't get nearly as upset this time around group traveling when meltdowns happened as I had in May 2014. You just sort of take it in stride and press on. Planning time apart definitely helps too, because it's a good way to get away from any drama without making things worse. If you already weren't planning on being together during certain points, it doesn't look like you're running away. Since you're sharing a villa it might be trickier, but I'd say that having your own space to retreat into is always helpful at the end of a long day. Space and patience as much as you can spare are the biggest things I'd recommend.

I too am not a fan of them replacing the One Man's Dream movie with previews ... be nice if at least they would alternate it or something so those that want to see the Walt movie can

I think that's a good compromise. We only saw it once because timing just hadn't worked out before and had really enjoyed it. I think the history of Walt is something that is nice to have around.

I think if your RnRC picture you are adjusting your glasses to see something more clearly .... or something

That's what I said too, but Marie says that wasn't her intent so...

Living in the northeast you are pretty much required to know all the words to Sweet Caroline - but bummer you didn't get to use your new found knowledge. I read on another TR that they had a DJ playing music or something as the pre-show so perhaps they did get rid of the other version

I heard that as well and I believe there was some music that night too but it's just not the same. How can we show off that we took the time if they don't play it?

That was nice of that CM to look out for you and make sure you got to see some of the lights if they didn't stay on for after park closing - and glad things worked out for you in the end

I've been reading some conflicting rumors if the lights will come back in some form or not. I know so many people love them so I hope something comes back!

I was thankful that the CM was both helpful and honest in trying to make sure we could do both because he really didn't have to be.

I hope something comes too! One of my most vivid memories from our first trip is just being surrounded in the lights with the snoap falling all around and just how magical that felt.

Smart move with the bus!

I love your necklace that you have on for AK day!

Short walks between resorts made it an obvious choice.

Fun fact, her necklace is actually a part of her dress/shirt. But we both liked it when she was buying it.

And how awesome you got on Everest so many times ... too bad about Amber but at least she got on once and also glad that she, er, you (now that Amber started the post indicating that she was ok) ... well, whatever the right pronoun is to use, I am glad Amber felt better after eating the croissant

Thanks. And we had a FP later in the day (As you'll see in future updates) so I did end up riding more than once. But I've learned my lesson about eating breakfast.

I still haven't gone on Dinosaur and was planning to try to figure out a way to go on it during our upcoming trip (no one else in the family seems interested) and then I read it will be in refurb, so, oh well ... that is a first rate ride photo though!

Next to you go and it's up you should totally go. It's quite fun. I always have a blast and it's not too scary either (Marie disagrees but she's being silly), although it is quite jerky.

Sorry to hear about the drama at lunch ... it really seems like you did the best that was possible - really not easy with large groups and it seems like everyone else found you. Glad that Curtis said something though so you didn't have to bear it all yourself and also glad that you were splitting up after that - seems like that was needed

Yeah, I just didn't appreciate being yelled at for that and it was a bummer. I was glad that Curtis felt strongly about her behavior so I wasn't so alone, but I felt bad that obviously it ruined his meal. Alone time in groups is a life saver.

Day 6, Part 3 - Are We Gonna Be Lions?!

So, our meal experience at Animal Kingdom, pretty much not the best of the trip, as you have seen.

I did try to take some of the heat off of Amber when Aunt Sarah came back to me - I'd been waiting for her to return at the food counter, as we had three full trays to carry, hence why she'd already taken one down, and was now returning for a second one while I took the third. I told her Amber had told me the direction (down the path, to the left) and I'd only thought to share them with Uncle Butch, but at that point she was already set on being upset with Amber.

In hindsight, it may seem like bad directions - until you actually get to Flame Tree BBQ. Yes, they're all downward paths, but when they branch out, a lot of them have stairs. Grandma can't use stairs, so that actually makes it a pretty straightforward route.

Anyway, lunch drama was done with and we were glad to be heading off for a bit of time alone.

Amber and I made our way over toward Discovery Island, trying to figure out what to do. We'd thought of maybe meeting Dug and Russell, but we ended up taking a different route.

We came across this cute little building.

044_zpsiiotqrzv.jpg

The standby wait was reasonable, considering the amount of free time we had left before we had to meet up with the family again, so we jumped right in line.

045_zpsq6obnvkc.jpg

The portraits all along the queue are the cutest thing ever. Mickey and Minnie are great adventurers!

We ended up being the last ones to come in before they were headed on break, so we gladly went ahead and posed with our favorite mice.

046_zpsyaallbts.jpeg

As it turns out, the attendant had miscalculated a little bit how much time they had left before they had to leave on break, so they urged us to take solo pictures, which at first we were a bit confused about, but then gladly complied.

047_zpsvegsgdp2.jpeg

048_zps2mwtswlc.jpeg

We said our goodbyes and headed back out to roam around Asia.

It didn't take very long until we got to our destination, and met the family again - yes, it had been a fairly short break away from them, but you know, it happens.

049_zpsx5zgoxzm.jpg

Yep, we were riding Expedition Everest again! This time, with FastPasses.

Of course, Grandma couldn't ride this. Mom also decided to pass on it because, again, roller coasters, not a fan.

I can't quite remember if Aunt Sarah was still in a mood and that's why she didn't come along, but she didn't. Of course, Elsye is too small to ride. And the two little boys also decided they didn't want on.

So, it was Amber, Uncle Butch, Curtis, Kameron and me, heading up to explore the mountain!

Obviously, I had to keep up my count, even thought they technically hadn't all been rides in a row. This sixth ride was really a bummer for me, though Amber and Uncle Butch enjoyed it.

050_zpsskpdjhb5.jpeg

Kameron and Curtis were a bit more into it, too, wouldn't you say?

051_zpslztrbvso.jpeg

We split up yet again, after making sure the boys really didn't want to ride, and planned to meet up one more time for our last FastPass of the day.

Meanwhile, Amber and I did what any reasonable person would do in such a situation.

Single rider's line.

(Did I say reasonable? My bad).

Number seven. Like, I'm so over it.

052_zpsodenmrvm.jpeg

Amber is too cool for Expedition Everest.

053_zpsvkczg10p.jpeg

Number eight's got me like, why am I here again?

054_zpsbcohrhyd.jpeg

Meanwhile, Amber's all like, let me catch up on these trip report notes.

055_zpsotjbrchv.jpeg

Nine. Get. Me. OFF.

056_zpsinf3yzhd.jpeg

And that was it for the day, folks. I was really hoping to hit ten, but at that point, we were cutting it close to our next FastPass, so we bid Expedition Everest farewell, and headed on our way.

057_zps1lyszpeh.jpg

Making our way to Africa for the best of shows!

We made it a little after the family did, so they were already in line, but there was nobody else behind them yet so we just jumped right in and joined them.

058_zpsr6mg73pf.jpg

Elsye acting like a cutie with daddy.

059_zpsiry9u8r9.jpg

Kameron and Curtis. Not impressed at Amber's need for waiting in line pictures.

060_zpsw2glzkpk.jpg

Aunt Sarah, in a better mood, with Elsye's Simba on her shoulder.

You must know what we were there to see, guys. You must.

This is not a trick. It was Festival of the Lion King.

I have a love story with this show. I've said it before. I could spend an entire day watching this show over and over, and I would deem my Animal Kingdom day well spent. Of course, I'd have to plan two Animal Kingdom days to do so, because I also have to ride Expedition Everest and watch Finding Nemo: The Musical, but it still seems like a good plan.

We were soon let in and directed right across. Amber was very excited as she askedif we were gonna be lions - which we did end up being. Roar!

061_zpscxqyjup9.jpg

The boys got up to participate and walk around the stage with the dancers at the end, so that was pretty cute, and I teared up during the finale, as I usually do.

By the end of the show, our plans were pretty much done for the day. There was still a little over an hour before park closing, but the rest of the family elected to head on their way out. We made plans with Kameron and Curtis to meet up later with them at the resort for dinner, and they were on their way.

Aunt Sarah, Uncle Butch and the kids got a couple of PhotoPass pictures on their way out.

062_zpsdhec6n1n.jpeg

063_zps8miuc0ec.jpeg

Meanwhile, Amber and I were debating what to do.

Initially, our plans for the last hour had been to split up. I would have stayed and watched FotLK again (because I really would), and Amber would have headed back to Dinoland and rode Dinosaur as many times as she could before the hour was up.

Now that it was time for those plans though, we weren't feeling them anymore. We were pretty happy with our day, and we figured it might just be time to head out.

So we started making our way toward the front of the park, and did decide to stop behind the Tree of Life for some pictures of our own.

The PhotoPass guy was really awesome. He was efficient, but he was taking his time with each family to make sure they got their best possible shots.

The lady in front of us was getting annoyed with him though, because that did mean he got several shots taken from each family. I was getting annoyed with her, because she had a bad attitude and she probably wouldn't be complaining once it was her family's turn and he took his time just as much with them.

A few people did keep coming up and trying to line up behind the PhotoPass guy, in spite of the fact that there were several groups lined along the path - because if we had lined up behind him, we would have all been blocking the way.

Some of them did realize on their own that there was a line, and elected to either wait in it, or walk off. Some had to be told.

And Amber did tell one family as they proceeded to do that. They were very apologetic as they hadn't realized there was a line, and they decided to make their way off as they probably didn't have time for waiting.

And as they turned around to leave, Amber spotted the Make A Wish button on one of the kids.

:headache:

:scared:

She felt terrible about it. The guy behind us, not so much. But if we had noticed it beforehand, we definitely wouldn't have said anything.

Such is life sometimes. She still makes distressed sounds when she thinks back on it (like now, as I'm writing this and she sits next to me. She keeps going "Nooooooo").

Anyway, it was then our turn to get a mini photoshoot underway!

We started with a pretty regular picture.

064_zps7jhkzicv.jpeg

Then, the PhotoPass guy told us to hold our arms out toward the ground. He instructed us that there would be Lion King characters at our feet, and we had to be presenting them to the world (he was really into it).

065_zpshgmzewbm.jpeg

Finally, he told us we were lost in the jungle, and looking ahead to try and find our way out (and might I add we were looking mighty calm for being lost in the Jungle, but panicking wasn't in the instructions).

066_zpsv6cujxfz.jpeg

He told Amber after that that she better follow me for directions because she was looking up instead of ahead.

We thanked him for our photos, and made our way around the tree so we could head out of the park.

067_zpsqwep6bq3.jpg

On the way, we did briefly stop by Guest Services, so that we could leave a good comment for the PhotoPass photographer. We really thought he'd been making a fantastic job of making sure everybody got the very best pictures they could, taking his time with each family without making it last a ridiculous amount of time.

Then, we finally headed out of the park.

Click for next post

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter