First names you dislike

In the uncommon name category---I used to go to the same babysitter's house as a little girl named Liv (pernounced like live) Her middle name was Christian. Liv Christian-------talking about forcing a belief set on your child as they grow!

Lol trying to be unique.. Just like everyone else! Know a kid named honesty. Another named tequila. Her mom put some funny symbol over one of the letters. Last but not least.. Girl named pretty

I also knew someone named Tequila and another named Priti (short for Pritibala but pronounced pretty".

I don't like my name. It puts me very firmly born in my generation, and I hate that. It's also way too common for me. (You can see my username and take a guess) I'm not a fan of really any of the big names from that generation (Brittany, Tiffany, Jessica, etc)

I like a lot of the names listed here, especially "older" fashioned names. I love Evelyn, Ivy, Katherine, etc.

I can't really think of a name that I dislike. I've run into a few people that wanted their names to be pronounced oddly I thought. There was the young guy name Chris-John. It of course sounded a good deal like Christian. I came to learn though that it didn't matter if I pronounced the name Chris-John or Christian, I was going to be corrected and told I mis said the name. It seemed to be an automatic response of his when ever his name was said.

When I was working on family genealogy it could be disconcerting at how many people were given the same biblical names. I suspect over 150 years ago on the male side around 50% of the first names were either John or James. It could make for quite a chore figuring out who was my relative. I remember though once discovering a distant relatives name that was ridiculously long. I forget the name but it went along the lines of Edgewoodenglebert Smith. Yes I though, your mother may have not liked you, but as a genealogist I love the name.

For some reason I've never been that fond of my own first name as it has a double S in the middle so in my opinion it has quite a hissy tone to it. I don't mind when Finnish people use it because it's a Finnish name, but with international friends I'd rather go by some nicknames instead.

1st names that are not actual names, but nicknames--Johnny, Jimmy, Susie, etc. I know from family experience it's not fun for the person carrying that around once they become adults.

I'd say "popular names," but sometimes as a parent you don't know that you're giving your child a name that's going to be very popular. We named DD a name (Sarah) that barely cracked the top 100 for names given to girls born when we were. In my 1,000 student high school I only knew 3. So we thought we were giving her a name that we both liked and would be relatively unique.

Well, apparently every other parent that had a child in the late 80s thought the same thing, because her name was the 5th most popular name in the 1980s according to this. If we'd known, we might've (probably would've) gone in a different direction.

So what are you gonna do? As with so many things having to do with parenting, you don't get a do-over--you do your best and hope it works out.

I once knew someone named Nicola, pronounced Nicole. :sad2: She was often offended when her name was mispronounced.

We used a variant spelling of our DS's name; not "cute" but not the way it's spelled most of the time. Dumbest thing we've ever done - nobody ever spells it right and in trying to make the correction (it's spelled with an i instead of an e) they often get some of the other letters wrong. :headache:

We have that problem. We comitted more than one of the offenses listed. Very old fashioned name (late 1800s - early 1900s) and used the German spelling for heritage reasons. To most people here it just ends up coming across as a weird name with a youneek spelling. Doh!

I still love his name though and it fits him. It will just be one more reason he can have to hate me when he is a teenager I guess. He's already told us once or twice that he hates his name because teachers never spell it correctly.

Our older son just has a grandpa name. But it's making a comeback. So no one in his grade has it, but there are entire classes of kindergartners with the name.

I don't hate any names so much as I don't like overused names. Doing valentines with my son I felt like we could just get a Jayden and an Aiden stamp.

Gertrude, Eunice, Mildred, Earline, Agnes, Bertha etc. Had relatives with all of those names.

I had boys. But I LOVE the name Agnes. Totally would have named a daughter Agnes or Ruby. I actually like Mildred because the shortened form, Millie, is cute.
I've had relatives with some of those names too.

I'm not a big fan of trendy names, ie: Madison, Reilly, etc. We also get a lot of kids with interesting names in the office: Sincere, Journnee (not my typo!), Peace, Harmony... I can keep going!

ETA: Weird spellings get me too. We had a little girl in the office last week named Hanna. Nothing weird about that, but when I called her back, her mom huffed, rolled her eyes, and goes "It's Anna. The 'H' is silent." How in hades would I know that? I felt like saying "that's what you get for spelling her name the way you did!" but I refrained.
Lol the h is silent! Priceless. Bet she had that look "omg again" lol
My first name is Rebecca.. Becci (Becky). One of my moms good friends spelled it that way. I've run into a few in my life.
I started kindergarten knowing how to write my name. For some reason the teacher only sent home work every 9 weeks. End of first 9 weeks my mom discovered I'd write my name. Teacher had crossed off my name and made me correct it.. Well my mom was furious! Sent it back and made her correct it!

Madison
Mac/Mk anything (unless you are Scottish)
Emily
And doesnt anyone have creativity anymore? Classrooms are full of kids with the same names.

My maternal grandmother was always complaining because none of her 8 granddaughters and several great granddaughters were named after her except for one who had her first name as a middle name. I always thanked my mom! Her name was Evelyn Mabel. My middle name is my mother's first name and also happened to be my other grandmother's middle name which probably caused some of my maternal grandmother's feelings. I had a student several years ago who had a very unique name. I didn't dislike the name and she was a very sweet girl. Her name was Quality Tyme. Like I said I really liked the child and am in no way making fun of her name just stating it as it is unique. I never heard of her being teased about her name either. There are several common names that I dislike because of students who were challenges.

My daughter had a little girl in her 1st grade class named "Texana", like the lake between Texas and Louisiana. I always thought it was cute but no one I've ever talked to about it liked it. I think because they think "Tex-Anna". I also had a friend with two sons - Austin and Houston. That was weird. Yes, I live in TX.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter