First family trip dining suggestions

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by Mrspeaks, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Mrspeaks

Mrspeaks Mouseketeer

I am planning my first family trip to Disney and would love any dining suggestions. I have been to Disney as a child, but I don't know anything about the restaurants.

Going on the trip are myself, husband, our daughter (2 years old), my sister and my parents. We are going to be staying at Art of Animation or Pop Century for three nights. We are traveling in the first day, then going to Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom.

I would envision doing quick service for lunch and a sit down for dinner. I think eating at or close to the parks we are going to would be preferred for my daughter.

Do I need reservations?

Is a character meal a must? We are going in a Disney cruise afterwards, where she will see the characters a lot.

Thanks in advance for any tips or recommendations!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Mrspeaks

Mrspeaks Mouseketeer

I guess I should also say that we love all types of food. Except we are not big sushi eaters.

4. Gary M

Gary M DIS Veteran

I would think reservations would be a good idea at dinner. We like Liberty Tree Tavern at the MK. I believe they would have a table for your whole family. The food is served family style and we think it is good.
    http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningmain.cfm this site shows the menu's at WDW restaurants.

5. FiggieFan

FiggieFan DIS Veteran

I would have reservations - I have seen too many people turned away and I personally don't like flying by the seat of my pants.
    For MK quick service I would do Columbia Harbor House and TS Crystal Palace.
    HS: 50's Prime Time Cafe or Sci-Fi
    EPCOT: Biergarten

We really don't eat at AK and will hop to another park for dinner.

Downtown Disney: Raglan Road

Have a great trip!

6. a742246

a742246 And, and, and I caught a fish this big!

For a nice change of pace when you are at MK I would think about going to Kona's located in the poly resort for lunch. Just a short monorail or boat ride away.

7. jimmytammy

jimmytammy <font color=purple>Swivel, it's a hard habit to br

Liberty Tree at MK, if you like Pooh characters, Crystal Palace at MK. Or head to the Polynesian by monorail and get fully immersed in the spirit at Ohana.

AK meals are just so so. Flame Tree BBQ for quick service is good, also Yak and Yeti quick service. If you can manage getting to AK Lodge, head to Boma, very good IMO.

8. Mrspeaks

Mrspeaks Mouseketeer

Thank you for your suggestions.

9. alex9179

alex9179 DIS Veteran

We really like Columbia Harbour House in MK for QS. We didn't do a TS there but The Plaza seems very reasonable, if you're paying OOP, and looks good! I agree that Kona at the Poly would be a good option. If you can, take advantage of one of the TS at a monorail resort.

At AK, we had lunch at Tusker House. The kids really enjoyed the atmosphere but we weren't wowed by the food. I didn't care for the buffet experience with 3 kids who needed help but never wanted to go at the same time. I discovered that I want to be served at TS! I ate dinner at Sanaa in AKL on another trip and loved it!