First DVC Visit-Stay at Home BCV or try BLT?

wdwfanatic316

DIS Veteran
I recently purchased 60 resale points at BCV :banana: and I am planning our first visit home for this Oct to celebrate my 30th :scared1: birthday! I was able to get a studio at BCV for the nights we wanted, but am wondering if I should try to switch this to BLT (at the 7 month window of course)! I am really excited to stay at BCV since I have never stayed there, but I would love to try BLT too! My reasoning is that it would be easier to get into BLT this year because it's new and there are less owners than there will be next year. What do you all think?

Aren't these great dilemmas to have?;)

The only way I would do it is to mix in 1 day of your 5 day stay at BLT on the first day of your trip. Just to get a flavor for it. Enjoy.;)

We made the decision when we joined to stay at all of the DVCs. I am SOOOO glad we did. We have loved every one for different reasons, and will definetly continue to hop.

Make your reservations at BCV, and then call at 7 months for BLT. If it's available, book it! With BCV being your home, you'll almost always be able to get a reservation there. You could do a split stay, but I like to unpack and settle. Unless I was going for a couple of weeks, I'm not sure I'd want to split the stay. I know others do it all the time, though, and are very happy.

You'll have a great time either way so don't worry! I was in the same boat as you. We're staying at AKV in April, and will be at BCV in July. I had really wanted to try the Treehouses at SSR, and could have since I own there. But, I decided that I can book there at the 11 month window any time. We haven't been to BC yet, so I kept the reservation!!! :goodvibes

Best of luck deciding! That's what I personally love about DVC. I can't imagine staying at the same place every visit. :thumbsup2

P.S. :welcome: HOME!!! party:

I recently purchased 60 resale points at BCV :banana: and I am planning our first visit home for this Oct to celebrate my 30th :scared1: birthday! I was able to get a studio at BCV for the nights we wanted, but am wondering if I should try to switch this to BLT (at the 7 month window of course)! I am really excited to stay at BCV since I have never stayed there, but I would love to try BLT too! My reasoning is that it would be easier to get into BLT this year because it's new and there are less owners than there will be next year. What do you all think?

I guess it depends on what you are planning to do while you are there.

BCV is very convenient for F&W. If it were me, I would stick with BCV but that is because we love F&W and go to WDW every especially for F&W--and we often don't even visit the other parks at all during our F&W visit.

On the other hand, trying out a new resort might be fun.

It seems like either way, you would have a winning reservation. Although one caution, I have heard of problems during the few seconds you cancel your original reservation and switch over to your new resort where someone else grabs the new ressie before you can get yours completed. BCV will be very much in demand in OCT, so it might be difficult to get back into BCV if you let your original ressie go to get into BLT...

Congrats on your purchase & birthday :cool1: .....since your going in October, if your planning on spending a lot of time doing the F & W festival...I'd vote BCV....if not go for BLT at 7 months

Like a PP said, when we joined DVC we planned to visit all the DVC resorts (of all currently open, we only have Vero yet to visit). However, for your first visit, I think there's something special about staying at your home resort.
Besides, not that I'm biased or anything, but I think there's something special about staying at BCV, especially during the F&W. Maybe I'll see you there-I'm staying at BCV in October also! Have a happy birthday, wherever you choose (hope it's BCV!)

As exciting as it would be to stay at BLT, I think I'd choose BCV for the pool and quick access to EPCOT. I am sure both are the reason you purchased there.

BTW, Welcome Home! We hope to add on at your home resort. Saving our pennies!

BLT will probably cost more points. Guess it depends on what room category.

Which parks are you planning on visiting? If your a Magic Kingdom nut :love1: BLT would be fun. If your mostly going to EPCOT and Hollywood then BCV would be extra special.

Good luck and welcome home.

I have a little different take from what I have seen here. I would book at BLT at the seven month mark just so you can check it out before the points go up next year. You can always do your home resort some other time...check out BLT before the major point increase.

The only way I would do it is to mix in 1 day of your 5 day stay at BLT on the first day of your trip. Just to get a flavor for it. Enjoy.;)[/QUOTE

I think this is a good idea! The only reason this might not work for us is because I was planning on booking an extra night at an All Star resort to stretch our trip out an extra day, and switching 2 times in a five day stay might be a bit much! Still a good option though! Thanks!:thumbsup2

We made the decision when we joined to stay at all of the DVCs. I am SOOOO glad we did. We have loved every one for different reasons, and will definetly continue to hop.

Make your reservations at BCV, and then call at 7 months for BLT. If it's available, book it! With BCV being your home, you'll almost always be able to get a reservation there. You could do a split stay, but I like to unpack and settle. Unless I was going for a couple of weeks, I'm not sure I'd want to split the stay. I know others do it all the time, though, and are very happy.

You'll have a great time either way so don't worry! I was in the same boat as you. We're staying at AKV in April, and will be at BCV in July. I had really wanted to try the Treehouses at SSR, and could have since I own there. But, I decided that I can book there at the 11 month window any time. We haven't been to BC yet, so I kept the reservation!!! :goodvibes

Best of luck deciding! That's what I personally love about DVC. I can't imagine staying at the same place every visit. :thumbsup2

P.S. :welcome: HOME!!! party:

Thank you!:goodvibes I hope we have the chance to try all the DVC resorts too! I'm definitely considering trying for BLT, especially since MK is my favorite park! Have fun on both your trips!

I guess it depends on what you are planning to do while you are there.

BCV is very convenient for F&W. If it were me, I would stick with BCV but that is because we love F&W and go to WDW every especially for F&W--and we often don't even visit the other parks at all during our F&W visit.

On the other hand, trying out a new resort might be fun.

It seems like either way, you would have a winning reservation. Although one caution, I have heard of problems during the few seconds you cancel your original reservation and switch over to your new resort where someone else grabs the new ressie before you can get yours completed. BCV will be very much in demand in OCT, so it might be difficult to get back into BCV if you let your original ressie go to get into BLT...

Thanks for the caution- I've heard that too :eek: That's one reason I'm kind of scared to try to change our ressie, if BLT's available.

BLT will probably cost more points. Guess it depends on what room category.

Which parks are you planning on visiting? If your a Magic Kingdom nut :love1: BLT would be fun. If your mostly going to EPCOT and Hollywood then BCV would be extra special.

Good luck and welcome home.

We're planning on visiting all of the parks because I love them all! I have to say that MK is my favorite though (one point for BLT), but I love EP also (one point for BCV!)

As exciting as it would be to stay at BLT, I think I'd choose BCV for the pool and quick access to EPCOT. I am sure both are the reason you purchased there.

BTW, Welcome Home! We hope to add on at your home resort. Saving our pennies!

Thank you! :hug: You're right- SAB was definitely one of the reasons we bought at BCV, even though we've never actually been there! That's one of the main reasons I can't wait to stay there!

Thank you!:goodvibes I hope we have the chance to try all the DVC resorts too! I'm definitely considering trying for BLT, especially since MK is my favorite park! Have fun on both your trips!
We will! I can't wait. I'm ready to escape the cold, AND I'm having Disney withdrawals! :laughing:

If you call right at the 7 month window, with the exception of a week or two here or there (e.g., Christmas, Food and Wine), you should be able to get anything you want. When I've called at 7 months, I've always been able to book my first choice (with the exception of Vero Beach).

I love MK, too, so you definitely have to try BLT and VWL. I always thought I'd love staying at VWL, but absolutely fell in love with it. It's a beautiful resort, and is close to MK as well.

I hope your first trip is very special. Our first stay as DVC members was at BWV, and it holds a special place in my heart. I haven't bonded with my home resort, I've bonded with all of the DVC resorts! I have a hard time deciding where to stay next! :scared:

I have a little different take from what I have seen here. I would book at BLT at the seven month mark just so you can check it out before the points go up next year. You can always do your home resort some other time...check out BLT before the major point increase.

Good point! I'm going to go check out the new BLT points charts! :surfweb:

I sorta had the same situation, had VWL and wanted to switch to BCV or BLT at 7 month(which was sat) I ended up getting a 2 BR BCV with queens for our visit. I really wanted BLT but wife just doesn't care for Contemp or BLT, which I always wanted to visit. We also have kids so SAB is very appealing. So long shory short, enjoy, and I understand the conflict but they both are great choices. What part of Disney isn't??????

My family doesn't mind packing and moving from one resort to another, we have our car with us.

So with that upfront we are doing best of both world's and doing a split stay. We are considering the day of moving from one resort to another as a down (not park) day and just relaxing and hanging by the pool.

So BWV (my home resort) then moving over to BLT.

DH and I have 2 nights, the very last Saturday/Sunday in September at BCV. I've gone back and forth about trying to get BLT for that reservation when 7 months comes about. It may be our only chance to get into BLT, and if there's a MNSSHP on Sunday, we would probably go to that and walking back would be so very easy...but then there's the F&W and the convenience of BCV. DH says it's my call and I am thoroughly undecided, but leaning toward staying at BCV.

Bobbi:goodvibes

i would definately stay at BCV for this visit. since it'll be your first (congrats!), it's nice to be at "home" for the first visit.
more importantly, getting an EPCOT resort during the F&WF is no easy task unless you own there, so something you should really consider before changing (personally, we will only go in oct if we have an EPCOT resort booked....there's nothing like walking over to IG just for a grey goose slushie & piece of spinach pie :cloud9: )

BLT will be there for years, but there will only be one first visit as a DVC member:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter