First Disney movie for 2 year old

NJlauren

DIS Veteran
My DD is almost 2 and has started being able to watch tv for 20-30 minutes mostly Sesame Street.

I would like to show her some Disney movies even if just parts before our next trip (end of August). Any suggestions? Something not to scary? Frozen? Toy story?

Anything that your young kids loved?

I'm not a parent, so take this for what it's worth. I agree with the PP, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is age appropriate and will introduce her to Mickey & Friends. Didn't there used to be some Disney Princess Sing-Along type videos? That would introduce her to some classic characters and songs. Winnie the Pooh is always a nice place to start.

If you really want to get into movies, I'd stay with some older, gentler things like Dumbo and Cinderella. I really think the more modern-era films are too intense/complex for really young kids who aren't ready to really grasp bigger stories.

Again, just my totally inexperienced opinion.

Our daughter fell in love with Cinderella at that age. Disney movies can be pretty scary and intense for little ones. Cinderella is fairly safe. She is now 5 and has only seen a handful of Disney (or any) movies. Her list so far is Cinderella, Frozen, Toy Story 2 (she hasn't seen the first one because the scenes with Sid and his toys would probably be too much for our other kids), Tangled (she asks me to skip a few scenes), Beauty and the Beast (she skips the whole battle sequence at the end). That's it. For non-Disney movies she loves the American Girl movies (especially Kit Kitteridge and Mckenna) and the Dolphin Tale movies (which our 3 year old loves as well). Other than that we pretty much just watch old shows like Andy Griffith and Little House on the Prairie. Most modern films are not made for young children. And most age appropriate shows are so dumbed down that they aren't made for their age!

Our daughter fell in love with Cinderella at that age. Disney movies can be pretty scary and intense for little ones. Cinderella is fairly safe. She is now 5 and has only seen a handful of Disney (or any) movies. Her list so far is Cinderella, Frozen, Toy Story 2 (she hasn't seen the first one because the scenes with Sid and his toys would probably be too much for our other kids), Tangled (she asks me to skip a few scenes), Beauty and the Beast (she skips the whole battle sequence at the end). That's it. For non-Disney movies she loves the American Girl movies (especially Kit Kitteridge and Mckenna) and the Dolphin Tale movies (which our 3 year old loves as well). Other than that we pretty much just watch old shows like Andy Griffith and Little House on the Prairie. Most modern films are not made for young children. And most age appropriate shows are so dumbed down that they aren't made for their age!

I agree I'm a little worried about how scary some of these movies could be for someone her age. But I would like to expose her to some movies. Currently we watch Disney Junior and Sesame Street that's pretty much it...

Almost every Disney animated movie is going to have parts that are scary for two year olds.
I would hold off longer before showing her any of them.

We tried Cinderella when my son was two. He was very upset when the stepsisters tore off the dress the mice made for her. All subsequent watches were fast forwarded through. We tried Toy Story at the theater when DS was four. We had to leave almost as soon as we got into Sid's house. Too scary. It was about eight months before I knew how that movie ended (when the VHS came out).

Almost every Disney animated movie is going to have parts that are scary for two year olds.
I would hold off longer before showing her any of them.

We tried Cinderella when my son was two. He was very upset when the stepsisters tore off the dress the mice made for her. All subsequent watches were fast forwarded through. We tried Toy Story at the theater when DS was four. We had to leave almost as soon as we got into Sid's house. Too scary. It was about eight months before I knew how that movie ended (when the VHS came out).

Thanks, I'll hold off for now I guess.

This is me wanting to watch it with her I guess.

Thanks, I'll hold off for now I guess.

I know, it's tough when they get to where you think they'll understand storylines and want to watch the things you love. But, it will be a lot better if you wait until she's ready and able to handle hard movie situations a bit better...or at least be able to verbalize about what is bothering her. Believe me...you'll be watching Disney movies until your eyes bleed soon (rewatching the favorite over and over and over).

Our 2 year old son loves Frozen and asks for it all the time. The only part he has ever reacted to as being "scared" was him jumping the first couple times the saw breaks through the ice. Now he gets excited for it and says "here it comes...Boom" and then launches into singing the song. Every kid is different and you don't know what you'll get unless you try.

My son is 4 years old. He gets scared very easily (compared to my 2 y/o daughter ). He gets scared of most of the Disney classics like little mermaid, sleeping beauty, etc. The only ones he can watch all the way through are Cars and Frozen. Cars is probably the least scary of all the Disney Movies I have seen, but there is one scene in the middle where they go visit the tractors at night. It's pretty tame, but he was scared of that scene for awhile (he's fine with it now). I've shown him Toy Story but he doesn't seem to have much interest .

My 2 y/o daughter actually doesn't seem to get scared as easily. She watched the Ursula scenes from Little Mermaid for example and didn't seem to bother her. She never finished the movie, though, mainly due to lack of interest .

I considered just making "music videos" of the songs in the movies, since I think they would like that, but haven't had time.

If you screen the movies beforehand, you could just skip the scary scenes (basically anything dark). I don't think a 2 y/o will even notice you're skipping things.

Our 2 year old son loves Frozen and asks for it all the time. The only part he has ever reacted to as being "scared" was him jumping the first couple times the saw breaks through the ice. Now he gets excited for it and says "here it comes...Boom" and then launches into singing the song. Every kid is different and you don't know what you'll get unless you try.

We did 'watch' frozen one day. I say 'watch' cause she wasn't over interested. But maybe I'll try it again! It isn't too scary....

I don't remember watching a movie until I was 6 years old. It was Born Free. Loved it! I really think up until then I watched TV shows. I remember seeing The Sound of Music and Snow White when I was 7. Loved them. Asked my parents for the soundtracks.

Very understandable. I want to watch tons of movies with my kids that my wife does not think they are ready for (and she is probably right). I just want to say that I applaud you for being sensitive to your child's needs when it comes to movies. It seems like a lot of parents don't think twice about popping in overly violent movies and kids become desensitized. I have even been criticized for being so "protective" of our kids. I just want to know at what point people decided kids need to grow up so fast? I want them to stay innocent as long as possible. I know they won't be forever. And I know they will hear and see things from others. But I am not going to be the one that introduces them to all the garbage that is in movies (even kids movies) these days. Thank you for being a parent who also cares for your child!

Very understandable. I want to watch tons of movies with my kids that my wife does not think they are ready for (and she is probably right). I just want to say that I applaud you for being sensitive to your child's needs when it comes to movies. It seems like a lot of parents don't think twice about popping in overly violent movies and kids become desensitized. I have even been criticized for being so "protective" of our kids. I just want to know at what point people decided kids need to grow up so fast? I want them to stay innocent as long as possible. I know they won't be forever. And I know they will hear and see things from others. But I am not going to be the one that introduces them to all the garbage that is in movies (even kids movies) these days. Thank you for being a parent who also cares for your child!

Thank you!

I just got intruded to this website yesterday... www.commonsensemedia.org

Have you heard of it? I am currently obsessed with it, you put in a movie (tv show video game etc) and it gives you a rating, but it always explains exactly why, so you can make an informed choice. I'm finding a lot of this information very interesting.

Thank you!

I just got intruded to this website yesterday... www.commonsensemedia.org

Have you heard of it? I am currently obsessed with it, you put in a movie (tv show video game etc) and it gives you a rating, but it always explains exactly why, so you can make an informed choice. I'm finding a lot of this information very interesting.

Yes...we found it a few months back. Absolutely love it though I find it lacking in some cases. (i.e. it has the Parent Trap original and remake but no sequels). It is a highly useful site. A couple more we sometimes look at are http://www.pluggedin.com/ (this one tends to have the newest theatrical releases in no time at all) and http://www.kids-in-mind.com

None of my kiddos (age 2,6, 9) love Disney movies as much as I do but they all enjoy the classic Mickey and Donald cartoons from the 1930s and 40s. My two-year-old also loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, you can get Mickey Clubhouse and classic Mickey cartoons on DVD our library carries them so we can watch for free. :)

When my nephew was just over 2 years old, I bought him an episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse from iTunes and he absolutely loved it. Suffice to say, I had to buy a few more after that!

You can't go wrong with it for a 2 year old, trust me.

Most Disney movies are not intended for 2 year olds. I do think Winnie the Pooh is a great one to start off with though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter