First a Little Pomp & Circumstance,then a Whole Lot of Disney Dining! COMPLETE

My kid's must be as deprived as I was!! :laughing:;) With all of this talk of nutella I'm going to have to go out and buy some and write a mini review on it! :rotfl2:

Have a great day Joh!

Okay, I must confess, I have never had Nutella either. Now I need to go out and buy some to try too so that I have a reference point for all these Nutella Waffle Sandwich reviews. :laughing: It certainly looks good!

You poor, deprived DISers. I think you both need to go out and get yourselves some Nutella. And, if you like it, I have a whole host of Nutella-based recipes :rotfl2:

Ok, I have to come clean. I had never heard of Nutella until about 3 months ago. I was grocery shopping with my son and he convinced me to buy it. He had had it at a friend's house and thought it was great. I myself could take it or leave it, but he loves it.

So I guess maybe you should count me among the depraved...I mean deprived. :rotfl:

The nutella and fruit waffle looks so good, excited for your next review!

Great reviews. I am really enjoying your report. The waffle looks good. Might have to give that a try next month. :thumbsup2

Nutella is good!

Also try Cookie Butter from Trader Joes or Biscoff Spread(the makers of Biscoff cookies on Delta). It is basically those Biscoff cookies crushed up and in the form of paste. It has the consistency of PB but tastes like Biscoff. Delicious!!

And you seem like such a fun mom! I could never spend this much time with my mom! Hahah

:welcome: to the new readers and thanks for posting comments! I hope I haven't chased you away with all this Nutella talk. :lmao: I promise I'll move on to my next review ASAP. :thumbsup2

And to Rachel: I really like Biscoff cookies so the Biscoff Spread sounds really good. Thanks for the tip! And thank you so much for the compliment. :goodvibes I'll be sure to pass this on to my girls. But I'm not sure they would agree with you, since I made them get up most mornings of our trip before 10:00! :eek: :rotfl:

Nutella is amazing on waffles and crêpes - I've never had Disney's nutella waffle sandwich, but it looks great. :)

Yum...crêpes sound really good, but I'd probably hold the Nutella and replace it with chocolate. Which reminds me...it's been way too long since I've paid a visit to the French Crêpe kiosk at Epcot. ;)

Well, you had one for our family! We had this item on our list, but just were never hungry enough to eat one! I must say, though, it does look simple enough to make at home with successful results...and we would even have the luxury of adding that missing whipped cream!!

True, homemade waffles could be as good or better but you wouldn't be able to look at Cinderella's castle while you ate them. ;)

Darn DISers! You've ruined my diet. :rotfl2: I work very near a crepe place and after reading this thread, I promptly walked over and ordered one banana/nutella crepe. And it does come with homemade whipped cream on top! :cool1: I'll have to do some extra running on the treadmill tonight to make up for that (right after I eat a giant tub of popcorn at the Brave movie!).

And yes, I WILL be eating that fruit & Nutella waffle in August. Yes I will!

Darn DISers! You've ruined my diet. :rotfl2: I work very near a crepe place and after reading this thread, I promptly walked over and ordered one banana/nutella crepe. And it does come with homemade whipped cream on top! :cool1:

Banana/nutella/whipped cream...another combination to try! I think I might like that better than the multi-fruit combo. Thanks for the idea, I think? :lmao:

I'll have to do some extra running on the treadmill tonight to make up for that (right after I eat a giant tub of popcorn at the Brave movie!).

I completely forgot that Brave came out today, so thank you for the reminder. :thumbsup2 Enjoy the movie and giant tub of popcorn! (I like it with lots of butter :laughing:) But hey, sorry about the treadmill thing. :guilty: Hopefully the crepe was worth it??? ;)

And yes, I WILL be eating that fruit & Nutella waffle in August. Yes I will!

You go, girl!!! :thumbsup2

Wonderful Reviews so far!!

Can't wait to read (and drool!) more!

I have a bunch of the same restaurants scheduled for my October trip. I had Bistro de Paris booked but was e-mailed that it will be closed so I am replacing it with Bluezoo! Sounds like that was the right choice from the Swan/Dolpin group... However my hubby is allergic to all seafood except some white fishes so I hope there is something there he will enjoy!

Can't wait for your Via Napolli Review... I am still debating between there and Le Cellier.

I am new to your reviews and have enjoyed reading them. Thank you for posting a review on Fork and Screen. We have been to DTD several times and I had never heard of this place.

Wonderful Reviews so far!!

Can't wait to read (and drool!) more!

I have a bunch of the same restaurants scheduled for my October trip. I had Bistro de Paris booked but was e-mailed that it will be closed so I am replacing it with Bluezoo! Sounds like that was the right choice from the Swan/Dolpin group... However my hubby is allergic to all seafood except some white fishes so I hope there is something there he will enjoy!

Can't wait for your Via Napolli Review... I am still debating between there and Le Cellier.

:wave: Hi Paula! Hey, I remember you...well, actually it is your 2009 Dining Report that I remember. ;) You see, when I was doing research before my Nov. 2010 25th Anniversary trip I found your review from your 5th Anniversary trip and it was so helpful. In fact, it helped me to decide that we should do the Deluxe Dining Plan on our trip so that we could dine at several Signature restaurants, (like you did on your trip) but I wouldn't have to hear my DH complain about the prices, etc. :lmao: Anyway it worked out great for us, but I don't think I ever thanked you sooooo...:thanks:

Ok, so let me see if I can return the favor and be of some help to you. With your husband's allergy to seafood, I'm not sure if I myself could recommend bluezoo. DD1 and I both enjoyed our entrees (salmon and grouper), but I'm guessing that those would not work for him??? They did have a third option for the Simply Fish, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. I'm assuming that these options change seasonally though, so you could maybe check with the restaurant shortly before your visit. As far as non-seafood, I only recall there being three options on their menu...one chicken, one pork, and one beef. I probably wouldn't recommend the chicken, as DD2 didn't like it and I don't think DonaldDoleWhip was impressed by it either. His review is one of the best I've seen here for bluezoo so I'll give you the link, just in case you haven't already seen it. ;)

DonaldDoleWhip's review

As you have probably discovered, reviews for bluezoo are pretty hard to come by here. Although it seems to have many fans, the actual reviews written for bluezoo are few and far between. When I was looking, I knew that DD2 would not eat seafood so it took me quite awhile but I finally found one review each of the pork and beef entrees.

onelilspark's pork review

Dis_Yoda's beef review

Hope these might be of some help to you.

As far as the Via Napoli vs. Le Cellier question, I would probably go with Le Cellier. But I would also recommend that you stop by Tutto Gusto for some wine and appetizers (or light meal) sometime during your trip. :thumbsup2 I will leave the details for the basis of my recommendations for my reviews, so check back later for those. ;)

Ok, I've probably given you way more information than you ever wanted already, but if you do have any questions at any time throughout the rest of my reviews then feel free to ask away.

I am new to your reviews and have enjoyed reading them. Thank you for posting a review on Fork and Screen. We have been to DTD several times and I had never heard of this place.

Joining in... I want to see more!

:welcome: Thank you both for joining in! I'm working now on my next review, but was having a bit of writer's block so thought I'd pop in here for a bit. I'll try to get back to it now and finish, so hopefully I'll have it posted soon. Thanks again for reading!

:wave: Hi Paula! Hey, I remember you...well, actually it is your 2009 Dining Report that I remember. ;) You see, when I was doing research before my Nov. 2010 25th Anniversary trip I found your review from your 5th Anniversary trip and it was so helpful. In fact, it helped me to decide that we should do the Deluxe Dining Plan on our trip so that we could dine at several Signature restaurants, (like you did on your trip) but I wouldn't have to hear my DH complain about the prices, etc. :lmao: Anyway it worked out great for us, but I don't think I ever thanked you sooooo...:thanks:

I'm glad my '09 Dining Report was able to help you! We loved the DxDP! I would love to do it again but no matter which way I work the numbers they just don't come out in favor of DxDP so instead I am getting an AP for me and the TiW card. Even though I am only planning the one trip (unless something changes!) it still comes out better that way!

Ok, so let me see if I can return the favor and be of some help to you. With your husband's allergy to seafood, I'm not sure if I myself could recommend bluezoo. DD1 and I both enjoyed our entrees (salmon and grouper), but I'm guessing that those would not work for him??? They did have a third option for the Simply Fish, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. I'm assuming that these options change seasonally though, so you could maybe check with the restaurant shortly before your visit. As far as non-seafood, I only recall there being three options on their menu...one chicken, one pork, and one beef. I probably wouldn't recommend the chicken, as DD2 didn't like it and I don't think DonaldDoleWhip was impressed by it either. His review is one of the best I've seen here for bluezoo so I'll give you the link, just in case you haven't already seen it. ;)

My hubby can have a lot of different white fishes. No Salmon or tuna (or anything else not white!) He cannot have any shrimp, crab, lobster, clams, mussels... The reason I was considering bluezoo was I have heard they have outstanding desserts... Maybe we should just go over there some night for dessert instead of a whole meal...

DonaldDoleWhip's review

As you have probably discovered, reviews for bluezoo are pretty hard to come by here. Although it seems to have many fans, the actual reviews written for bluezoo are few and far between. When I was looking, I knew that DD2 would not eat seafood so it took me quite awhile but I finally found one review each of the pork and beef entrees.

onelilspark's pork review

Dis_Yoda's beef review

Hope these might be of some help to you.

Thanks for sharing the reviews! Yes they are hard to find!

As far as the Via Napoli vs. Le Cellier question, I would probably go with Le Cellier. But I would also recommend that you stop by Tutto Gusto for some wine and appetizers (or light meal) sometime during your trip. :thumbsup2 I will leave the details for the basis of my recommendations for my reviews, so check back later for those. ;)

Ok, I've probably given you way more information than you ever wanted already, but if you do have any questions at any time throughout the rest of my reviews then feel free to ask away.

I appreciate all the recommendations!! I'll eagerly await your reviews! If I skip Bluezoo I can do both Via Nappoli and Le Cellier or I could skip both Via Nappoli and Le Cellier and just do F&W booths as well... So many choices! :confused3

BACKGROUND: The first time that DD1 and I had tea at the Garden View Lounge was on her 18th birthday. This first experience was so wonderful that we vowed to repeat our mother-daughter tea on every Disney trip thereafter. I hope you don't mind if I now take a short trip down memory lane...

Our initial impression of the Garden View Lounge was that it was quiet and peaceful...a rarity among Disney restaurants, and therefore very much appreciated. As soon as our server discovered that it was my daughter's birthday, she presented her with a pretty birthday tiara to wear, a tiara that she still has to this day. Next came our Princess Breakfast tea served in pretty china teapots and covered with velvet cozies. This was followed by all the delicious food, beautifully presented to us on elegant, rose-covered china. But the icing on the cake, so to speak, was that my daughter was presented with a candlelit cupcake and our server led the other guests in singing "Happy Birthday". She was made to feel quite special, like a princess, on her 18th birthday. As for me, I loved seeing the huge smile on my daughter's face, something her mother didn't often get to see during those teenage years. When we had finished our tea, my daughter was presented with a lovely pink rose. This was not only the perfect ending for this special experience that we had shared but it sealed the deal for us...we would definitely return to the Garden View Lounge for many more mother-daughter teas.

232323232fp437_7_nu3679___2__95_276___286235ot1lsi1.jpg

DD on her 18th Birthday

Thank you so much for allowing me to relive that first mother-daughter tea. Now I will tell you about our 5th mother-daughter...

TEA AT THE GARDEN VIEW LOUNGE

Our reservation was at opening time, which is 2:00 at the Garden View Lounge (located on the 1st floor, just off the lobby of the lovely Grand Floridian hotel). We arrived early (before they began checking in people at the podium) so we relaxed in the comfortable lobby couches and listened to Disney songs being played on the grand piano.

Once seated and presented menus, we first made our tea choices (well, actually DD2 doesn't like tea so she had chocolate milk). DD1 again ordered the Princess Breakfast tea, which is described as a sweet custom blend of South African organic rooibos flavored with vanilla bean and a hint of strawberries. I had the Vanilla Rooibos, which I think is the same tea but without the strawberry.

9fc854ad.jpg

clippetersitting-1.jpg
Tea for Two

I was quite happy to see that our tea was served in rose-covered china teapots and cups & saucers, as I had seen a review here from a visit made earlier this year and the dishes were all plain white. So apparently they must have gotten new china recently and during the interim were using the plain dishes. However, something I didn't notice until I was looking at our pictures from previous years, was that they changed the china pattern. They used to have the Royal Albert Old Country Rose made by Royal Doulton. It had a gold trim and I thought looked quite formal. IMO, the new pattern, while similar, looks a little less elegant and pretty. So I'm wondering now why the change in china patterns after all these years...anybody know??? Anybody care??? :lmao:

IMG_4915.jpg

Our Grand Tea from last year served on Royal Albert China - See the difference???

It was shortly after our tea was served, that a wonderful surprise occurred. I had completely forgotten that I had noted on our reservation that we were celebrating my daughter's graduation. Can you guess what was presented to her???

deb7fd83.jpg

My DD with her lovely pink rose

We looked at each other and smiled, both remembering our very first tea here. :hug:

Okay, enough with the sentimental sappy stuff...let's bring on the food! :rotfl:

While DD2 and I ordered some items a la carte, DD1 ordered the Buckingham Palace, which includes 3-courses in addition to her choice of tea. Her first course was a plate of 5 finger sandwiches. This included a grilled pear with gorgonzola, an egg salad, a shrimp salad, a chicken salad (which I believe had almonds, just an FYI for anyone who might be allergic to nuts), and a watercress, cucumber, & cream cheese. Each of these was served on a different kind of their housemade bread. The sandwich plate also included a small, but deliciously-sweet onion tart. Btw, I also ordered a plate of the tea sandwiches, exchanging the watercress one for I believe a second egg salad...as I find the watercress one kind of boring (but DD loves it ). Doing this is never a problem here. We both gave our sandwich plate a "Very Good" rating.

51551534.jpg

clippetersitting-1.jpg
Plate of Assorted Tea Sandwiches - traditional tea sandwich plate with five assorted tea sandwiches on fresh, house-made breads

Her second course was a very tasty scone, which can be made even more delicious by slathering it with the Devonshire (clotted) cream and strawberry jam that is served with it. DD2 and I also each ordered the scones, not realizing that the a la carte portion included two scones instead of just one. So we actually could have shared one order. DD1 and I each gave the scones a "Very Good" rating, but DD2 lowered her rating to just an "Okay" once she discovered they had golden raisins. :rolleyes: But that's two against one, so the scones receive a "Very Good".

8719b2b6.jpg

clippetersitting-1.jpg
Two Freshly Baked Scones (A la Carte portion) - Served with Devonshire Cream & Strawberry Jam

For her final course, DD1 had a choice of strawberries and whipped cream or two dessert pastries. Both she and DD2 had the strawberries and cream and both rated them as "Very Good". I just discovered that we forgot to take a picture of the strawberries and cream so I've reused one from last year's tea.

IMG_4916.jpg

clippetersitting-1.jpg
Fresh Strawberries & Whipped Cream

And last but not least (for me anyway), DD2 and I shared this...

5a9e0640.jpg

clippetersitting-1.jpg
British Cheese Plate - a selection of traditional British cheeses, served with an array of seasonal fruit and crackers (Cheese Plate #2 of the Trip) - $14.50

cd871a4c.jpg

This cheese plate contained 5 kinds of cheese, however I can only remember the two I ate (Blue Stilton and Brie), which I loved but DD didn't like. Therefore, I let her have all of the other three cheeses and consequently I don't recall what they were. :confused3 For our array of seasonal fruit we had slices of honeydew melon, red grapes, and a few strawberries and raspberries. I also think I remember having a few slices of canteloupe, but you can't see any in the pictures. Perhaps they are camera shy and are hiding behind the honeydew??? ;) I rated the cheese/fruit plate as "Very Good", but DD gave it a "Good" since she didn't like 2 out of the 5 cheeses, plus she doesn't eat any kind of melon. So technically this should be given an in-between "Good" and "Very Good" rating but I'll round up because of the crackers. Oh, that reminds me I forgot to mention them...we were given several butterfly-shaped crackers (plain and wheat) that worked very well with the cheese. And when we finished them, our server brought us several more. It seems like with many cheese plates you are given just a few baguette slices and always run out way before you've eaten all the cheese. So a few extra points are given to this cheese plate for the generous portion of crackers served with it. :thumbsup2

So our overall rating for this meal was:
clippetersitting-1.jpg
Very Good

And so that concludes another wonderful mother-daughter(s) tea, again it was "Practically Perfect in Every Way". :goodvibes

NEXT UP: Dinner at California Grill

What a lovely experience with your daughters. The tea is a tradition I would love to start with my DD. Definitely a noticable difference with the china - I also think the Royal Albert china is prettier and more fitting for the tea. :flower3:

As for the food - it looks absolutely amazing. A nice, light, and refreshing lunch. I actually looked online to see about booking and I don't see anything available at all - even when checking 180 days out. :confused3 Is this really a popular event that sells out immediately? It must be.

I am so glad that you shared this since I have never seen a review other than the princess version. princess:

Aww, what a lovely picture of your DD in he birthday tiara :goodvibes

What a wonderful way to spend some Mother/Daughter time

The food looks really yummy, especially the scones and the cheese plate :thumbsup2

What a lovely experience with your daughters. The tea is a tradition I would love to start with my DD. Definitely a noticable difference with the china - I also think the Royal Albert china is prettier and more fitting for the tea. :flower3:

As for the food - it looks absolutely amazing. A nice, light, and refreshing lunch. I actually looked online to see about booking and I don't see anything available at all - even when checking 180 days out. :confused3 Is this really a popular event that sells out immediately? It must be.

I am so glad that you shared this since I have never seen a review other than the princess version. princess:

I think the tea would be perfect for you and your daughter, so I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems booking it. I'm not surprised that it is fully booked at 180 days out because that would be December. I've heard that this is a very popular thing to do for the locals. They like to go to tea at the Grand Floridian and see the holiday decorations there. ;) But I am a little surprised that it is fully booked during your August trip. However, it is a small place and they are only open for a few hours each afternoon. Keep trying though as they might have a cancellation or you can also try doing a walk-up on some afternoon when you are at MK. Good luck! :goodvibes

EDIT: According to Jill (see next post), she has been able to book the tea by calling Disney Dining when nothing was showing as available online. So you might want to give that a try, if you haven't already.

Aww, what a lovely picture of your DD in he birthday tiara :goodvibes

What a wonderful way to spend some Mother/Daughter time

The food looks really yummy, especially the scones and the cheese plate :thumbsup2

Thanks Linda! :)

I think the tea would be perfect for you and your daughter, so I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems booking it. I'm not surprised that it is fully booked at 180 days out because that would be December. I've heard that this is a very popular thing to do for the locals. They like to go to tea at the Grand Floridian and see the holiday decorations there. ;) But I am a little surprised that it is fully booked during your August trip. However, it is a small place and they are only open for a few hours each afternoon. Keep trying though as they might have a cancellation or you can also try doing a walk-up on some afternoon when you are at MK. Good luck! :goodvibes

Thanks Linda! :)

I haven't had any luck booking the Tea online but I call and they have plenty of availability. I think the online system is messed up (go figure!)

Jill in CO

I haven't had any luck booking the Tea online but I call and they have plenty of availability. I think the online system is messed up (go figure!)

Jill in CO

Thanks for the info, Jill! :) I edited my reply to emmysmommy so that she would be sure to see it.

Thanks for the info, Jill! :) I edited my reply to emmysmommy so that she would be sure to see it.

Np! I ran into this issue for both my October and November trips so glad I could help.

Jill in CO

Lovely review of the afternoon tea. I think I am going to book this for my friend and I for our arrival day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter