Fireworks with a noise sensitive kiddo

maranara

Mouseketeer
My daughter has some sensory issues, and is especially noise sensitive. We'll be bringing her ear protectors with us (since she sometimes surprises us with what is too loud for her), but even with the ear protectors I think the fireworks will be too loud. (we've tried on 4th of July with no luck) Has anyone found a place where they're not so loud? Or maybe where you can see them but not hear them? THANKS!

For Magic Kingdom go to the Poly or even the TTC to watch them. At the TTC on the boat dock they pipe the music in and you can stand out there and watch. For the Poly you can watch from the beach with the music coming through. There is also a grassy area between the lobby and the main pool where you can see them, I just can't remember if you can hear them.

Epcot is a little harder but you can see them mostly from the bridge between Future World and World Showcase. However they are still much closer than any of the other parks so still pretty loud.

Hollywood studios you can see most of it from the entry way and bus/tram pick up and drop off so as long as the projections aren't a big deal try from there.

Another option: Will she ear ear plugs? I have met some familys with noise sensitive kiddos who will have them wear foam earplugs and then put their ear muffs off that. It is double the protection so as long as she isn't sensitive to that maybe give it a try?

Transportation center, take the ferry across, when you get off the ferry there is a spot to the left with a good view. Bonus, you will be ahead of the hordes of people trying to exit the mk after the fireworks end

Thanks! I don't think she'll put up with the ear plugs - she won't even let me pull her swim cap over her ears at swim team. :) It's really good to know that they pipe the music in at the Poly beach. That sounds like a good option. I'm hopeful that once we're there she will be so excited that she won't mind a little noise. But I need a plan for sure.

I am the same way I hate the noise of the fireworks but love watching them form inside the park. When I do watch them form inside the park I use both the in ear/or my earbuds with music on and my over the ear protectors and this works for me. I also make sure I am not in a crowded area ( not on main street). I have something to do with my hands ( silly puddy, a stuffed animal, soft pice of fabric ) This is what works for me.

there have been times when even with this is has been too much for me so I make sure there is some place near by for me to hide in if I just can not handle it.

We did a fireworks cruise last year from the Polynesian. It was great, very peaceful and private. Our driver had snacks, drinks, and clean blankets to use when it got chilly, and glow sticks for the kids. I recommend it!FB_IMG_1477440824258.jpg FB_IMG_1477440830399.jpg FB_IMG_1477440852010.jpg

Thanks! I don't think she'll put up with the ear plugs - she won't even let me pull her swim cap over her ears at swim team. :) It's really good to know that they pipe the music in at the Poly beach. That sounds like a good option. I'm hopeful that once we're there she will be so excited that she won't mind a little noise. But I need a plan for sure.
I normally can not stand the in ear ones but I will use them at Disney as I just love watching the fire works form inside the park. and they come out right after the fire works end and I put them in about 2 minutes before the fire works start.

My daughter has some sensory issues, and is especially noise sensitive. We'll be bringing her ear protectors with us (since she sometimes surprises us with what is too loud for her), but even with the ear protectors I think the fireworks will be too loud. (we've tried on 4th of July with no luck) Has anyone found a place where they're not so loud? Or maybe where you can see them but not hear them? THANKS!

I'm noise sensitive with a horrible startle reflex - fireworks make me miserable! What I do enjoy, though, is watching them from the beach at Poly. They pipe the music in and you get a great view of the fireworks, plus the water parade goes by around the same time. Also comfy chairs and Dole Whip in hand...it's the only way I'll watch them!

Only a couple things to beware of: If it's a more crowded time of year, it might get busy - it is a popular spot. And there are usually movies playing beforehand which can sometimes get loud, but those should at least be manageable with ear protection. But that would still be my recommendation for anyone else with noise sensitivity issues vis a vis fireworks.

We have someone in our party who has the same problem, he wears ear defenders but they don't block it all out so we only watch short firework displays such as Celebrate the Magic show, where the fireworks last less than a minute or two but the joy comes from the castle lighting up. It's a great visual spectacle without too much of an assault on the ears.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter