Finished 50 Shades series.......

lukenick1

DIS Veteran
Just finished the 3rd book of 50 Shades of Grey. Can anyone recommend something else to read? I'm not looking for a book with lots of sex just a nice love story.
Anyone?

Lisa Kleypas. I love anything by her, but she writes historical and contemporary. Her contemporaries are really good.
Sugar Daddy, Blue Eyed Devil and Smooth Talking Stranger are a trilogy that I really enjoyed.

Was 50 shades a nice love story? I heard it was filth. I'd like to hear your opinion of the series.

Was 50 shades a nice love story? I heard it was filth. I'd like to hear your opinion of the series.

The basic premis behind the story is a love story. However, it does have a LOT of sex and has a D/s theme to it and is not for anyone that does not like written out in detail sex scenes. So, to answer your "question" there are some people that would call it filth. It's kind of one of those to each his own type things and it isn't for everyone.

I have been loving a lot of books by Lauren Dane and also Sylvia Day. These are not for the faint at heart when it comes to the "love" scenes, but if 50 Shades didn't bother you to much these won't either.

Also love all of the JR Ward books, Black Dagger Brotherhood and Fallen Angels series are both awesome reads. Again, there is some detail sex scenes that may not be for everyone.

I've been on a Susanna Kearsley kick - The Winter Sea, Shadowy Horses etc. They are romantic but not erotica.

How about the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon?

Highly recommend Outlander. Absolutely adore the series. Well written, strong characters and storyline..etc.

Did you enjoy 50 Shades? That might help with suggestion..I found it to be poorly written crap. I felt like someone took a 13 year olds diary and tried to throw some sexy stuff in it to try to make it appeal to adults. If I saw the words "oh my" anymore I thought I might have to smack the author. I thought it was horrid and it had nothing to do with the sex scenes (that aside from the domination part is really no different than what you would read in a bodice ripper romance novel).

Highly recommend Outlander. Absolutely adore the series. Well written, strong characters and storyline..etc.

Did you enjoy 50 Shades? That might help with suggestion..I found it to be poorly written crap. I felt like someone took a 13 year olds diary and tried to throw some sexy stuff in it to try to make it appeal to adults. If I saw the words "oh my" anymore I thought I might have to smack the author. I thought it was horrid and it had nothing to do with the sex scenes (that aside from the domination part is really no different than what you would read in a bodice ripper romance novel).

I totally agree!
I loved the Outlander series and was a little depressed when I finished the last book. When I finished the 50 Shades series I was like thank goodness that is over :rotfl:

If you are looking for a great love story I suggest The Time Traveler's Wife. It is my favorite love story book.

If you like those types of reads then head over to Smart Witches, Trashy Books (except substitute the 'W' for a 'B'. Can't use that word here).

Ok.....I "liked" 50 Shades series, read all 3 books. I was more into the love connection between them and the mystery behind Christian than I was the sex. With that said, you can say I'm into romance/love stories. However, I did enjoy other books like the Lovely Bones and My Sister's Keeper. I guess those are in the drama category? I've never been a reader but have become more interested in it as I get older as long as I'm into the story. My DS has tried to get me to read "Hunger Games" and "Harry Potter" but that just doesn't interest me. Neither does "Twilight" Series. I will also add that I am not a fan of super intelligent big word books. I'm a young adult language kind of girl. Which is probably why I had no issue with 50 Shades.

Ok.....I "liked" 50 Shades series, read all 3 books. I was more into the love connection between them and the mystery behind Christian than I was the sex. With that said, you can say I'm into romance/love stories. However, I did enjoy other books like the Lovely Bones and My Sister's Keeper. I guess those are in the drama category? I've never been a reader but have become more interested in it as I get older as long as I'm into the story. My DS has tried to get me to read "Hunger Games" and "Harry Potter" but that just doesn't interest me. Neither does "Twilight" Series. I will also add that I am not a fan of super intelligent big word books. I'm a young adult language kind of girl. Which is probably why I had no issue with 50 Shades.

Hmmm..the "young adult" part I am not sure what you mean by. If you like the love connection and mystery of characters then I stand strongly behind Outlander (I believe there are 7 books..starts with Outlander..then Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn..etc) as it has a healthy dose of character mystery and such. If you like books written in a young adult style then that might be an issue as Gabaldon's books are NOT like that..the smallest of the books I think is over 800 pages (I could be off..the first is the shortest of them all but it's still quite large) and her writing style is not on par with things like Hunger Games or other young adult fiction.

I totally agree!
I loved the Outlander series and was a little depressed when I finished the last book. When I finished the 50 Shades series I was like thank goodness that is over :rotfl:

If you are looking for a great love story I suggest The Time Traveler's Wife. It is my favorite love story book.

I hate when you run out of books in a good series! Early 2013 for the next Outlander book!

You might try Overseas by Beatriz Williams which is kind of a huge sweeping destined souls type of love story. The book did fail for me on one level that it is kind of hard for me to discuss without a major spoiler, so I won't. But overall it is very romantic.

http://www.amazon.com/Overseas-Beatriz-Williams/dp/0399157646

I really want to try the Outlander series, but I am SO not into historical fiction/fantasy. I really couldn't get into The Game of Thrones novels even though I love the show.

I suggest anything by Adrianna Trigianni (Big Stone Gap series, Valentine series, Lucia Lucia, Queen of the Big Time, The Shoemaker's Wife) I love her style of writing--easy reading and characters worth remembering!

Another vote for Outlander series - I've just started it and love it.

I didn't like 50 Shades at all - the writing style was not good-I agree that it seemed that a teenager wrote it, I don't mind description of sex scenes but dang enough is enough! It had an ok premise but I think it could have been told/written better.

I agree about Outlander(my favorite favorite book series ever)! Adrianna Trigiana, I agree with, too, one of my faves.

Jill Shalvis writes pretty good contemporary romance.

If you're looking for romance recs, go to All About Romance at www.likesbooks.com.

I read A LOT! I am picky about my romance authors. I want someone who doesn't repeat the same storylines from book to book or the same phrases. I don't like male romance authors. I know lots of people adore Nicholas Sparks, not me, he's depressing. I am picky about things written in first person as well. Other than the Twilight series, I read all Jeaniene Frost's books, which are written in first person. I prefer third person.

That being said...these are authors I highly reccommend.

Paranormal romance- Kresley Cole, Jeaniene Frost, Larissa Ione, and Gena Showalter

Modern romance- Rachel Gibson, Lori Foster, Kathy Love, Susan Mallery, Carly Phillips, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, and Robin Carr

Regency Romance- Sabrina Jeffries, Lorraine Heath, Sophie Jordan, Kresley Cole, Sarah Maclean, and Julia Quinn

Western romance- Linda Lael Miller

Mystery/Thriller romance- Laura Griffin (Probably one of the best writers out there)

Black OPS or Military romance- Cindy Gerard, Cherry Adair, and Marliss Melton

Try A Hunger Like No Other By Kresley Cole, Halfway To The Grave by Jeaniene Frost, Passions Of A Wicked Earl by Lorraine Heath, High Country Bride by Linda Lael Miller, Thread Of Fear by Laura Griffin, and See Jane Score by Rachel Gibson

Hope you find someone you enjoy reading.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter