Find Your Own "Directive" - the February Weight Loss / Life Style Change Challenge

Soooo cold today. I'm sitting in what I refer to as my nook waiting for UPS to get here with a mysterious delivery that I have to sign for. I'm pretty sure I hurt my hip yesterday and I was angry/jealous of the people running today. I really need to get over it and buy stuff for my shoes, of course if I do that it won't snow anymore.

I baked two packages of turkey bacon today. I like it for what it is and don't really compare it to real bacon. All I know is it's going to be amazing on pita with avocado, and with eggs in the a.m. The quick stop at the market meant I got some sushi too! It had been too long. I think the last sushi I had was a Morimoto Asia!

I'm really boring today, nothing to report on just trying to get back into the swing of healthy eating.

abe4d9482930d1163ab80aa274848c40.jpg

Anyone here (Catholic or non) participate in Lent? Any plans to "give up" anything in health/weight loss efforts?

I'm actually kind of interested to see if anyone closely observes lent. All it makes me think of is when I was in school and parents would make their kids give something up and I'd have to hear them complain about not drinking soda for a few weeks before they gave in.

@JacknSally I quoted you too, not sure why it didn't show up.

I'm actually kind of interested to see if anyone closely observes lent. All it makes me think of is when I was in school and parents would make their kids give something up and I'd have to hear them complain about not drinking soda for a few weeks before they gave in.

I used to observe it. I went to catholic schools k-12. I always gave something up. Often chocolate ice cream. But at some point it turned into a diet tool. I'd give up all chocolate, or all ice cream. But I realized that it didn't work, I'd just get more coffee ice cream or more Oreos or some other replacement. I am not a practicing Catholic anymore, so I no longer give anything up.

Tomorrow should be a day of fasting, but seeing as I have to run 12 miles I do believe I will eat:). Like I said I don't observe Lent anymore.

Dh and I don't give up anything but we do observe the no meat on Friday for the Lenten period. I have a friend who gives up chocolate every year.

After lent are you just allowed back to whatever you gave up? I really have no idea how this works.

After lent are you just allowed back to whatever you gave up? I really have no idea how this works.

Yes. It has a religious foundation but I know lots of people who aren't religious, or who are but aren't Catholic specifically, that still participate in Lent. The idea behind it all is that on Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras, that's your splurge day - your day to get it out of your system and enjoy whatever you've decided to give up for Lent. On Ash Wednesday, or Lent, you abstain from something that has become a large focus in your life and for the next 40 days (until Easter) you don't participate in whatever that thing was, and instead you use that time and energy to refocus on your religious relationship.

It's become less religious and more of an outlet for people to purge, figuring if you can give it up for 40 days, then you likely won't want it in your life after that.

Yes. It has a religious foundation but I know lots of people who aren't religious, or who are but aren't Catholic specifically, that still participate in Lent. The idea behind it all is that on Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras, that's your splurge day - your day to get it out of your system and enjoy whatever you've decided to give up for Lent. On Ash Wednesday, or Lent, you abstain from something that has become a large focus in your life and for the next 40 days (until Easter) you don't participate in whatever that thing was, and instead you use that time and energy to refocus on your religious relationship.

It's become less religious and more of an outlet for people to purge, figuring if you can give it up for 40 days, then you likely won't want it in your life after that.

Wonderful explanation. Thank you.

Question of the Day - February 10
giphy.gif

It's... WOOHOO WEDNESDAY!!!

We've made it to the middle of the week. Now is the time to celebrate.
What will you share that has you dancing like Wall-e and Eve?

What are you celebrating today?
(It can be anything - the sky is the limit!)

Bonus: For those who have Disney vacations coming up, how many more days until you're "home"?

Be back later on with a woohoo... Hopefully we're going to the Orpheum tonight (Wednesday night) to see Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder... They're doing cheap student tickets tonight and while neither of us are currently students... We both do still have our student ID's..... :rolleyes1

Unless we're able to work in a weekend trip this year (I really want to go for Flower and Garden, but hotels are so expensive!) it will be October 2017 before we get to go again. :(

Good Morning everyone (besides @4Mickeys, for you I better wish you a good evening! ;))!

No real woohoos yet - maybe that their is some unexpected sunshine outside my office window right now...

The scale is still being unfriendly (up two pounds now since the start of the month), I hope that this will change soon for the better. I have been doing better with eating and moving, so there really is no reason for this to not show any results (well, besides the health issue of my thyroid, but that should be taken care of now again).

Hey friends! Sorry I wasn't around at all yesterday. We had a voting day fundraiser for the robotics team that kept me busy from 6:15 am - 3:30 pm.... then I dashed off to my WW meeting, back to help clean up the fundraiser and home to collapse in a heap! No computer time at all yesterday!

Today I was scheduled to be in the office and I figured I'd have a minute to at least pop on and answer the QOTD, but there was a "sub" emergency and they had to move me to P.E. at the last minute! I don't love it, but at least I'll get my exercise today!!

Gotta fly! I popped into the office to help for a few minutes before my classes start at 8:40 (and so I would have one minute to come here! :wave2: ). BBL tonight!............P

No woohoos yet for me. I gained 1/2 lb from yesterday (I know these things happen when you weigh yourself each day, but it doesn't mean I have to like it), and my motivation for exercise, specifically in the morning before work, is really fading away. I need to switch up my routine.

As for Disney vacations coming up, we have a cruise coming up in a little over a year and we'll spend a few days at DW after. I really wanted to sneak another one in around the end of May/first week of June, but I can't seem to convince my wife that it's a good idea. My last day of school is May 20th, my kids last day is the 25th - would love to go right after.

I love woohoo wednesday! Today I'm wearing a pencil skirt that used to be so tight on me that it didn't look good to wear it and now it's loose! I ate a pizza and a side salad for lunch yesterday as part of a team lunch. I tracked as best as I could so I know now that I'll be off my weekly goal of 0 or above weeklies. But I still tracked everything and I didn't let it derail the rest of my day! And I'm right back on track this week.

Funny thing about Disney. I was told by my DH that it looked like we'd have enough money to go to Disney this year after all BUT it would delay me getting a new car. I drive a 96 Ford Taurus so Disney did not win that battle. However, we are looking at the race weekends for next year and hoping to make a trip out for at least one of those!

My big whoo hoo is that my mom, who had breast cancer surgery at the end of January found out yesterday that her cancer has NOT spread to her lymph nodes, so with the tumor removed, she should be well on her way to recovery and no further cancer! YEA!!

That and I've lost half of the weight I gained from the Superbowl (gained 3 lbs, down 1.5 today). Again, I know it's not "real weight" and it's one of the downsides of weighing myself so often, but I hope to be at least weight neutral by the end of the week.

I do observe Lent and my sacrifice is health related. It's more of an "adding on" then a "giving up". I've been getting 10,000 steps a day for over 6 months now such that, while I still have to make time for steps, it's not a huge burden any more. For the next 40 days, I've upped my mandatory steps to 15,000. For the next 40 days, I will REALLY have to think about where those next 5000 steps are going to come from, especially with the weather being as cold as it is. It's going to mean finding about 40 more minutes a day in walking. So, hopefully it will have the right effect - my daily, nagging, inconvenience will remind me how inconsequential my "suffering" is compared to Jesus's suffering and giving up his life for us.

Finally, 128 days until we head to WDW. It's actually 125 until we land in Orlando. We land on a Wednesday, head to Universal on Thursday and then Magic Kingdom on Friday!

Question of the Day - February 10
giphy.gif

It's... WOOHOO WEDNESDAY!!!

We've made it to the middle of the week. Now is the time to celebrate.
What will you share that has you dancing like Wall-e and Eve?

What are you celebrating today?
(It can be anything - the sky is the limit!)

Bonus: For those who have Disney vacations coming up, how many more days until you're "home"?

Woohoo! We didn't love that house as much as we thought we did when we went to look again yesterday without our rose colored glasses on, so I can quit obsessing about it! I know that sounds counter-woohoo, but I was starting to get crazy about it! LOL! Also woohooing that the bathroom remodeling project is still a go, and I am super excited to pick out stuff and design the space.

BIG woohoo that we have a miniature Disney vacation coming up in 3 days! Saturday is bust being at conferences and trade shows all day, but Sunday will be a Disney day! Hoping to squeeze in a weekend in March and April, but I know we will have an extended 3-4 day weekend in May for our anniversary, so that's the count down for out "big" Disney trip for the year :-)

Be back later on with a woohoo... Hopefully we're going to the Orpheum tonight (Wednesday night) to see Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder... They're doing cheap student tickets tonight and while neither of us are currently students... We both do still have our student ID's..... :rolleyes1

So jealous! I've heard such great things about that show and hope that it tours down my way soon! (and no shame in the Student ID game for show tickets! haha!)

My big whoo hoo is that my mom, who had breast cancer surgery at the end of January found out yesterday that her cancer has NOT spread to her lymph nodes, so with the tumor removed, she should be well on her way to recovery and no further cancer! YEA!!

That's an awesome woohoo!!!!

I love Wednesday's and I will be spamming replies today.

My woohoos:

I think I am definitely feeling a bit better today.
My 15 year old has his first shift at Kmart tonight for his part-time job.
I ate fruit today - I am trying hard I don't tend to gravitate to fruit.
Only 2 days till the weekend.

I love hearing about teens working. I deal with them being spoiled brats with no concept of money all day long. Not to mention the amount of friends I have that have no idea how to budget and pay their own bills (I'm almost 30 they should know). So I get awkwardly excited about kids working.

Hey friends! Sorry I wasn't around at all yesterday. We had a voting day fundraiser for the robotics team that kept me busy from 6:15 am - 3:30 pm.... then I dashed off to my WW meeting, back to help clean up the fundraiser and home to collapse in a heap! No computer time at all yesterday!

Robotics lab! Hahah I still love that it just sound so cool. Was it crazy up there yesterday? I'm so glad my state isn't a huge deal for primaries.

No woohoos yet for me. I gained 1/2 lb from yesterday (I know these things happen when you weigh yourself each day, but it doesn't mean I have to like it), and my motivation for exercise, specifically in the morning before work, is really fading away. I need to switch up my routine.

As for Disney vacations coming up, we have a cruise coming up in a little over a year and we'll spend a few days at DW after. I really wanted to sneak another one in around the end of May/first week of June, but I can't seem to convince my wife that it's a good idea. My last day of school is May 20th, my kids last day is the 25th - would love to go right after.

Try to weigh a few times a week or something like every three days it's hard to resist but you'll keep some more of your sanity. Can you work out after work? I noticed that once I realized I could in fact do things in the evenings it became a lot easier for me to do them, and a lot more enjoyable. I'm am not now, and will never be a morning person.

Also you're wife is wrong and needs to be swayed. Disney is always a good idea haha.

I love woohoo wednesday! Today I'm wearing a pencil skirt that used to be so tight on me that it didn't look good to wear it and now it's loose! I ate a pizza and a side salad for lunch yesterday as part of a team lunch. I tracked as best as I could so I know now that I'll be off my weekly goal of 0 or above weeklies. But I still tracked everything and I didn't let it derail the rest of my day! And I'm right back on track this week.

Funny thing about Disney. I was told by my DH that it looked like we'd have enough money to go to Disney this year after all BUT it would delay me getting a new car. I drive a 96 Ford Taurus so Disney did not win that battle. However, we are looking at the race weekends for next year and hoping to make a trip out for at least one of those!

YES PENCIL SKIRT!!!! One of my most favorite items of clothing!

I really hope you guys make a race weekend next year!! (Do princess...)

That and I've lost half of the weight I gained from the Superbowl (gained 3 lbs, down 1.5 today). Again, I know it's not "real weight" and it's one of the downsides of weighing myself so often, but I hope to be at least weight neutral by the end of the week.

I do observe Lent and my sacrifice is health related. It's more of an "adding on" then a "giving up". I've been getting 10,000 steps a day for over 6 months now such that, while I still have to make time for steps, it's not a huge burden any more. For the next 40 days, I've upped my mandatory steps to 15,000. For the next 40 days, I will REALLY have to think about where those next 5000 steps are going to come from, especially with the weather being as cold as it is. It's going to mean finding about 40 more minutes a day in walking. So, hopefully it will have the right effect - my daily, nagging, inconvenience will remind me how inconsequential my "suffering" is compared to Jesus's suffering and giving up his life for us.

Finally, 128 days until we head to WDW. It's actually 125 until we land in Orlando. We land on a Wednesday, head to Universal on Thursday and then Magic Kingdom on Friday!

Oh my gosh I'm so happy for your mom! It must be an amazing weight lifted for her and your family!

Do you have to weigh often? I'll say what I said above if you can try to do it no more than about every three days. It'll keep your sanity. My body had a 4 lb difference last month over two days just because of bloating and ickyness from that time of the month.

My curiosity has me enjoying your sacrifice for Lent and how it's not giving up but adding and as you said "suffering" (I know I'm so oddly into this whole Lent thing. I love learning about religious practices). Those 5000 steps might not be that hard to get to you can make up a few hundred here or there by doing silly little things like parking far away from doors. I know you've got this though!

Hi friends! I was gone for a few days and just catching up reading posts.

I took my 2DS to Kennedy Space center for a few days to catch the launch and see the atlantis exhibit. Loved it all! Also went to the WAR-BIRD museum in Titusville, my boys LOVED it. It was amazing to see all thiose planes, all the memorabilia, just fantastic. Not great for my diet though. I was up 1.5 lb when I came home but have now dropped back to where I was.
So, woo-hoo for that!

95 days to next WDW trip. We will be at the BCV for 5 nights. I still have no adrs, days picked or anything. As long as we get lots of pool time and crab legs at cape may, it will be all good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter