Financial gurus? The Feds just cut the rates again - do you refinance or wait?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by Grumpy's Gal, Jan 22, 2008.

  1. Grumpy's Gal

    Grumpy's Gal <font color=coral>Of course, who wants to get gold

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2004
    Messages:
    4,963
  2. Avatar

    Google AdSense Guest Advertisement


    to hide this advert.
  3. sahm1000

    sahm1000 DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    Messages:
    1,404
    I was listening to the Today show yesterday and they said that interest rates (for morgages) are at their lowest since the summer of 2005. Their advice was to go ahead and refinance if your rate was higher.

    I know the Fed just announced another drop today in rates but my understanding has always been that morgage rates drop/raise ahead of Fed announcements. The question is whether they will drop them further later on. I would also think since the housing market has slowed down the mortgage brokers might be getting a little hungry for some business and will possibly be getting even more competitive in the near future.

    I hope this is the case since we are doing some home improvements and looking to refinance in the next month or so!
     
  4. AnnaS

    AnnaS DIS Sponsoor/Veteran

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2001
    Messages:
    6,821
    We refinanced many, many years ago so things/formula might have changed now. If I remember correctly, we were told that if the current rate was 2% lower that your mortgate rate to refinance.
     
  5. disneysteve

    disneysteve You have to enjoy life, not go

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2002
    Messages:
    11,412
    I think it usually takes a month or two for the mortgage rates to catch up with the lower fed rates, so I'd wait if I could.
     
  6. ICF

    ICF DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Messages:
    4,298

    We did it about 5 years ago and was told it should be at least 1% lower. We're @ 5.375% now, so I doubt that we will refi again.
     
  7. Toby'sFriend

    Toby'sFriend The thing about growing up with Fred and George is

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2001
    Messages:
    7,420
    I think it depends on what type of mortgage you are refinancing from.
    If you have an ARM and you can refi into a decent Fixed rate, I'd get out while the getting is tolerable within the next month or so in that situation.

    If you are just looking to lower the rate on a fixed loan, I think usually you need at least a .5% to 1% drop from your current rate to justify the standard closing costs.

    You also need to look at your remaining term vs what you are refinancing into. For instance, we've paid 8 years on a 30 year loan. We really wouldn't want to reset that to a new 30 years --- so we'll be looking at 15 year loan rates.
     
  8. disneysteve

    disneysteve You have to enjoy life, not go

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2002
    Messages:
    11,412
    This is our situation. We are 5 years into a 25-year loan, so I'm looking at 15 also. We could pay off our house and our home equity loan and still have a lower payment and shorten the term by 5 years.
     
  9. madge

    madge ... is soaking in it

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 1999
    Messages:
    9,100
    deleted :)
     
  10. suzydisney971

    suzydisney971 Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2006
    Messages:
    340
    Our mortgage broker just told me that she can get me a rate 1% lower than our current rate and reduce our loan to 30 years (we have a 40 year fixed loan). We bought the house in October 2007 (so have only paid 3 months into the loan). We would end up saving 10 years and $50 each month. But our closing costs would be almost $2000. So we aren't sure if we should wait or refi now. We would like to refi but coming up with an extra $2000 right now is a bit tight, not to mention with our luck the rates may come down even more. We are trying to put more money into our savings to use if need be when I'm on maternity leave in August. Our mortgage is our only outstanding debt. We also want to do some remodeling in April. So we aren't sure what to do. It's our first house so we are very inexperienced to all this financial stuff. WWYD?
     
  11. scottygirl

    scottygirl DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2003
    Messages:
    644
  12. tinaluis

    tinaluis DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2000
    Messages:
    2,892
    Contact your existing mortgage holder (not your broker) to see if they will do a no closing cost refi to keep your business. I've done that 2x with Wells Fargo and both times my out of pocket costs were very minimal.
     
  13. suzydisney971

    suzydisney971 Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2006
    Messages:
    340
    Thanks. That did help. We have Wells Fargo too. My husband is home tomorrow, I'll have him call. Thanks alot. Just still wondering if we should refi or should we wait it out another month or so in case mortgages drop even lower. Not sure if we should take the chance now or wait. Anyone in the same predicament?
     
  14. Banana magic

    Banana magic DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2006
    Messages:
    527
    We are in the process of refinance right now. We decided to take advantage of the 5.0 rate on a 15 year since we currently have a 4.875 rate on an adjustable that is due to adjust in 3 years. We locked in, then rate went to 4.875 the next day, so we relocked and are just going with that. We figured the rate is the same as we have now, but for a fixed 15 year instead of an adjustable. It did go down to 4.75, but now it is back to the 4.875 again. We were just debating if we should have waited or not in light of the latest news, but we are into it now, so we're taking what we have. Hopefully we won't kick ourselves for not waiting, but its a gamble either way.
     
  15. madge

    madge ... is soaking in it

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 1999
    Messages:
    9,100
    we're not in exactly the same predicament, but similar in that we are looking at refinancing. LOL. Our loan isn't set to readjust for another 2 years - we have a 7 year ARM, and planned to sell the house before the loan adjusted. Due to several circumstances and fueled by the current market, we've decided to stay in this house and make it a home. When we started discussing our options a few weeks ago, we were just going to borrow a small portion of our equity, make the improvements, and refinance the whole thing as soon as we were finished with the remodel. I'm not sure that isn't still the best thing to do ... but, I'm definitely doing my homework first!
     
  16. shelly3girls

    shelly3girls <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2002
    Messages:
    3,512
    This is similar to our situation. We are 3 years into a 15 year mortgage but we have a HELOC from major renovations / addition needed to make our house even inhabitable. We can now refinance into a new 15 year combining the two saving over $300/month (and locking in the current floating rate on the HELOC). We will continue to pay the extra money and look to pay off the 15 in the same 12 we have now. Today we were quoted 4.875%. We have not decided if we will do it now or wait a little.
     
  17. flakypuff

    flakypuff DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2004
    Messages:
    4,197
    My dH is a REAL ESTATE APPRAISER. There is something that no one has mentioned and I think it may be something you should know.
    Yes, rates have gone down..great...maybe not.
    As the market is trying to adjust the values have also gone down.
    Some may find that they want to refi only to find the value of the house has gone down not leaving enough or any equity or leaving them owing more that the house is worth.
    People are floored sometimes...my dh looks like the bad guy and feels so bad but it is the value..he doesnt control that.
    just last week this very thing happened.
    A nice young couple wanted to refin. They bought this beautiful home with min down only 3 years ago. They bought the house for 650,000. The dh changed jobs and is making a little less. The wife is a nurse expecting her first child and wants to cut back hours. they were hoping that the refi would free up some cash...not so.
    The house value is approx. 580,000. The homes around them are priced for sale in the med 5's and have been on the market for 9 months...
    The bad news is not only did the cost of the home drop but they dont even qualify for the mortgage they have now so they cant refin for the same amount because the income is lower and the value is lower..scared1:
    sadly the people that will benifit the most from a refin are the ones who will have a tuff time being able to do it:sad2:
     
  18. MKCP5

    MKCP5 DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,665
    we got 6.375 last spring on our 1st home. when can you refi the 1st time? What kind of rates are refi rates? The same as traditional or lower?
     
  19. disneysteve

    disneysteve You have to enjoy life, not go

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2002
    Messages:
    11,412
    You can refi anytime as long as there is no pre-payment clause on your existing loan. Refi rates are the same as purchase rates.
     
  20. OhMari

    OhMari WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2000
    Messages:
    13,584

    A good rule of thumb, is don't refinance unless you can drop at least .5 point.

    We are at 7.25. I just talked to a mortgage broker today and he can get me a 30 yr at 5.75.
    a 20 at 5.86
    a 15 at 5%

    We were always at at 15, but my dh got laid off 5 years ago, and to ease with payments we went to 30. We are now at 25 years. We will probably drop to a 20 year loan, but we are going to wait a bit, to see if they will drop anymore. It is just the beginning.
     
  21. dvcgirl

    dvcgirl DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2002
    Messages:
    4,326
    Yep, and I'd wait a bit further anyway because the Fed isn't finished cutting rates. They're at 3.5% now and likely to end up somewhere between 2.5% and 3.0% before they're done.
     

Share This Page