Finally! Our air is booked and we're working on hotels!

Fyrecat

Catmagick
Hi everyone!

This will be my husband and I's first trip to Disney together! We will be married 5 years (we've been together 22, so we deserve a nice vacation!)

We will be leaving Sept 4 from MacArthur Airport on Long Island....via Southwest. We've never flown them before, but the airfare was the best of all the airlines and my sister flys from this airport and likes it better than JFK....

I'm nervous about it, but it is something to look forward to!

We're trying to book Port Orleans, as we have never stayed on Disney property before, and as we'll only be there til Monday Sept 9, we thought staying onsite would be worth it. We're not going to rent a car-I think we'll just take the time to get around and relax, and we're trying to keep costs down. I've been unemployed and attending grad school/interning since March when I was unexpectedly let go from my job. This trip is a much needed break-my husband works very long hard hours as a Chef with usually just a day off a week.

This is our combined Anniversary trip -June 21st, our birthday trip-my birthday is August 28, his is Sept 12, and my hopefully...graduation trip. You see, if all goes well I will graduate with my Masters-after many long years-this Sept.

Can anyone give us-first time Disney folks..we both went years ago-I in my late 20s, he as a child-can anyone give us any advice? We hope to both see Animal Kingdom for the first time, get in some lovely relaxation by the pool when not Theme parking out...and, well, just have fun!

Thanks,
Deb and Jim and our 8 cats (who will be staying home!):rolleyes1

Congratulations! booking airfare is what always makes it "real" for me. Your laid back approach sounds excellent - I know you'll have a wonderful and well-deserved vacation.

You will get lots of advice here just reading through the various posts. But I would suggest that you look into the free dining promotion if you are going to stay on site. You can find it on the main disney web page. Look for special promotions. Also, the resort section of the DIS boards will tell you more about the resort and the promotion.

I think POR is the perfect first time on site resort.

Happy planning.

HI, and welcome from Hicksville!!

You are going to have SUCH a great time!!! Friends of ours stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, and adored it!! And you're right, you won't need a car. Disney's Magical Express will take you to and from the airport, and internal transportation is great.

You're going on September, so can I assume you know about free dining??? If not, then here's the link:http://www.mousesavers.com/walt-dis...-world-vacation-package-discounts/#freedining

Since the free dining will include one sit down meal per day, you'll want to start looking at restaurants ASAP. This will get you started: http://allears.net/din/dining.htm
You can make dining reservations (ADRs) at 180 days out, so you can make them as early as today. Some of our favorites: CLam Bake at Cape May, Coral Reef, 1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey's.

Well, the thing is this...we considered adding the dining...and yes, it would be free if we bought the undiscounted rate. We got the 25 per cent off and it seems to work out for half the price the other non discounted with free dining and undiscounted park tickets would.
It was $801.00 for both of us, straight room. The other way, with dining, it as $1618.00. That was really alot.:eek:
While it would be nice to have free dining, that just isnt' what I want to or could spend-we figure that we'll get discounted tickets through undercover tourist and work around what we can do to keep costs down. I made the reservations yesterday, so we're set! We'll be at PO-Riverside. Yay!!! :sunny:
Do you think it's a good idea to put in my requests now for AB?

Thank you,
Deb and Jim!

Hi! Yes, Fryecat, put your AB request in now so it is on your initial reservation.

One other thing that I would like to mention to you is that if you are considering any table service meals, please consider booking those ADRs NOW. Because you are vacationing during a free dining time, the restaurants will be much busier than usual, and it is pretty much a guarantee that you won't be able to just walk up to any of them for a table.

Oh, and HAPPY PLANNING!!! Planning is the best part :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter