Festival of the Lion King to close in January

Whats your source for this? Everything i see does not have Avatar in the Top 20 all time on DVD sales
Fair enough. So it's not 1 of the top DVD sellers of all time What you think goes to show that it's more of a gimmick movie Then 1 that will stand the test of time

He didn't say "all time". Just for it's release year and in the past 5 years.

Remember, DVD sales have been dwindling, too. New tech (digital and blu-ray) and the ongoing relative ease of piracy (though it's not effected movies AS much as music) have eaten into that market.

huge Disney fan...Avatar was so, so...not sure I even care about the storyline. I have to think hard to remember the movie, my 3 kids 13, 12, and 11 reacted negatively to the "Avatarland" theme...they kept saying "why".

Now I loooooooove FOTLK, if I tell my kids or my DH for that matter that this is closing they are going to freak because they love it!

Take away something we could care less about...and that is a lot in AK:rolleyes2

Ya know.... When Rec.arts.Disney split into the subgroups, i kinda gave up the serious online fandom side of things for probably a little over 10yrs. I didn't get REALLY active again until I started getting active around here.

:rotfl: That does bring back some memories though. :goodvibes:goodvibes

DCTootal
EX- RAD Host
EX- FDC Walkaround Heffalump and Woozle.

Some good, some not so good. I actually like the modded format a bit better than some of the craziness that happened on rec.arts.disney (and it's subsequent subgroups). You don't get near the amount of trolls, now....or the spam....in the modded groups.

Now, I lurk a lot all over, and post mostly here (with some noteable exceptions) when it comes to Disney.

Whats your source for this? Everything i see does not have Avatar in the Top 20 all time on DVD sales

As other said, I never said "All-Time", only 2010 DVD charts. I sourced the 2010 DVD charts from here:

http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/annual/2010.php

My World total of 30 million came from Wikipedia, which referenced this article in the economist.

http://www.economist.com/node/18386456

It's very hard to compare "all-time" numbers, as DVD revenue has obviously been a bell curve that peaked in the mid-2000s. DVD sales are significantly dropping, partly due to Blu-Ray and partly due to more availability of movies via Netflix and other sources.

I was merely trying to refute the argument that "No one would want an Avatar themed park". A movie that does that well doesn't do it purely on the gimmick. You could maybe argue the box office results were because of the 3-D gimmick, but wouldn't the DVD sales argue not so much?

Anyways, back to the main topic at hand...I know it can be difficult to not panic, but really FotLK fans - don't panic yet. While I defend Avatarland - I also am amongst those that really hopes this show doesn't close as it is really my very favorite Disney stage show amongst the 6 US parks.

But Disney hasn't announced the closure, and they haven't announced whether it will be moved. My guess is that if/when they announce the closure, they will also talk up the new location. If they close it with no announcement of it returning, that's when we should take up our pens/keyboards en masse and complain.

We were at AK this morning and saw The Lion King show. The CM said that the show will be relocated somewhere in Africa, but that the show is their biggest attraction and would not do away with it. :confused3

I give your post a good old FB "LIKE"! Thanks for getting back on topic while the rest are debating over whose rumors and babblings are trustworthy. :)

Its unlikely the lion king show will be gone permanently

Avatar is the number one movie all time because of a gimmick. Without it it would have been popular but not like it was

We were at AK this morning and saw The Lion King show. The CM said that the show will be relocated somewhere in Africa, but that the show is their biggest attraction and would not do away with it. :confused3

:thumbsup2

Thanks for that!!! iuki!!

I'm probably one of the few that enjoyed the Lion King show that was replaced in Magic Kingdom better than the Festival of the Lion King. Not that Festival was a bad show I just liked the other one better.

This sucks. From the sounds of things, FotLK will be closed when I am visiting in February. I just saw the show for the first time on my visit this year and LOVED it... was really looking forward to seeing it again. Oh well. One of the few drawbacks of always visiting during off-season, sometimes they are refurbing (or closing, or moving) my favorite attractions.:confused3

rustyanchor said:
This sucks. From the sounds of things, FotLK will be closed when I am visiting in February. I just saw the show for the first time on my visit this year and LOVED it... was really looking forward to seeing it again. Oh well. One of the few drawbacks of always visiting during off-season, sometimes they are refurbing (or closing, or moving) my favorite attractions.:confused3

They haven't announced anything yet. The most recent thing I heard was the lion king show will not be closing after all.

I guess we have to wait and see

ARE THEY KIDDING?
That is one of the few and best things going on in AK! I love that show!

From Screamscape this morning:

Confirmed - (8/10/12) The latest buzz from the Rhinos is that the Festival of the Lion King show is expected to close in January to make way for Avatar. The long term plan is to move to into a new theater somewhere, but it sounds like the show will close down completely long before this happens.

Its unlikely the lion king show will be gone permanently

Avatar is the number one movie all time because of a gimmick. Without it it would have been popular but not like it was

Just wondering what you're talking about? I don't want to argue because I don't think Avatar was the best movie ever but I do like the movie. Is it 3D that you are talking about? If so I don't agree with your statement because the movie is good without it, but it is better (IMO) with it. After owning a 3D TV for over a month now, I don't think it is a gimmick. It is nice to have the option to watch some things in 3D. It doesn't mean you have to watch everything in 3D, but to have that option is a very fun thing.

If 3D was a gimmick, wouldn't Disney have stopped putting out 3D attractions? Remember Magic Journeys? How many 3D attractions have been out and stayed out since then? Sure many people may not be thrilled with 3D or even watch 3D (blind in 1 eye) but those that do enjoy it would enjoy the option of seeing a film in 3D over 2D.

What gives? I think there is too much Avatar hate on this thread. The movie is fine. Is it Harry Potter? No. However, there could be an amazing looking themed world made from the movie... as well as some amazing attractions. Give it a chance.

If the hate comes from FotLK being taken down, then you have the wrong reason to hate it in the first place.

(this whole post was not entirely directed at you McBride :hippie: )

personally i was looking forward to the lion king show since i have never seen it before ill pass on avatar stuff unless its avatar the last airbender loved tha show hate the movie lol but seeing as thats from nick never happen

Personally, I don't hate Avatar and I don't like FotLK, i just wish they'd have chosen to make an land with a movie/theme I like or at least could get a little excited about. Failing that, a theme that most people would get a little excited about. When that's not even happening I'm going to hope the Avatar plans get cancelled and that something that at least most people will be excited about will take it's place.

Just wondering what you're talking about? I don't want to argue because I don't think Avatar was the best movie ever but I do like the movie. Is it 3D that you are talking about? If so I don't agree with your statement because the movie is good without it, but it is better (IMO) with it. After owning a 3D TV for over a month now, I don't think it is a gimmick. It is nice to have the option to watch some things in 3D. It doesn't mean you have to watch everything in 3D, but to have that option is a very fun thing.

If 3D was a gimmick, wouldn't Disney have stopped putting out 3D attractions? Remember Magic Journeys? How many 3D attractions have been out and stayed out since then? Sure many people may not be thrilled with 3D or even watch 3D (blind in 1 eye) but those that do enjoy it would enjoy the option of seeing a film in 3D over 2D.

What gives? I think there is too much Avatar hate on this thread. The movie is fine. Is it Harry Potter? No. However, there could be an amazing looking themed world made from the movie... as well as some amazing attractions. Give it a chance.

If the hate comes from FotLK being taken down, then you have the wrong reason to hate it in the first place.

Albytaps said:

But that's the problem. it's not Harry Potter. Potter will still be relevant 20 years. I suspect avatar will not.

I have no issue with the movie. It was okay. But I wouldn't build the land the theoretically coul last for 50 years on the concept. I think it's more Matrix the Star Wars

well i look at it this way...
if disney came out and said we are teaming up with j cameron for a new world that is mythical with bioluminescence lighting with new and exciting creatures we would all thank this will be awesome but because there is a movie attached to it that s not disney some people (not as many as you think) are up in arms about it...i think this project, if ever built, wil be about the land and not the story
i dont know about you but i like the ideas im hearing in terms of imax screens and motorbike coaster through the halleluiah mountains

But that's the problem. it's not Harry Potter. Potter will still be relevant 20 years. I suspect avatar will not.

I have no issue with the movie. It was okay. But I wouldn't build the land the theoretically coul last for 50 years on the concept. I think it's more Matrix the Star Wars

How relevant is Song of the South today? Yet, Splash Mountain is still a very popular attraction.

In terms of FOTLK closing, as of today; here are my observations: Avatarland was put on "indefinite hold" giving me hope that FOTLK might not close.

As of yesterday they posted auditons for the singers, with callbacks in late Nov. It would be pointless to hire new singers to train them and have them do one month of the show before it closes...correct?
Looks like FOTLK will not be closing after all?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!