Ferb, I know What We're Going to Do Today! - Updated 9/30

I really love your souvenirs, I think it is a nice selection of small things! :goodvibes

I knew you were so unhappy with your trip when you came back and I really understand now why. I am so sorry that that trip didn't work for you! :hug: But I know that you got your Disney magic back soon after it, so all is well!!! :goodvibes

It was an odd feeling to come back from my trip feeling so down, especially as I did enjoy the vast majority of my vacation.

I think my mini trip helped as I went into it with no expectations, just thinking that I was going along for the ride.

Crissy - I'm not sure if we've ever had this discussion before, but every year for her birthday (which is 12/22) I take my mom into Boston for a day of shopping, dinner and the Nutcracker performed by the Boston Ballet at the Opera House. We've been doing it for, gosh, close to 10 years I'd think and I wouldn't miss it for the world!

That's great. I think trips like that are so important. For birthdays, I've stopped buying my parents things that they don't really need. Instead we make an effort to go and do something together as a family. My dad is a bit impartial to tours of sporting stadiums, or baseball games but the time together is so much more important that silly things.

This trips definitely had its ups and downs. I've had those kinds of trips too. You just have to chalk it up to Life, I suppose. And we always have the opportunity to learn a little bit about ourselves, so there's that.

I, for one, can't wait to hear all about the Wine & Dine run!

Oh, and great souvies. I can't come home from the World without them either!

I think my biggest problem was that I never really changed my thinking after inviting my friend along. Part of me really wanted that solo Disney trip.

I'm just a sucker for souvies! I go in with all good intentions of not buying anything, but always come home with something.

I love your mickey shirt & wristlet! My gold lucky cat hasn't exactly brought me fortune, either! :lmao:

I fell in love with the shirt. I kept seeing it all week, and when they had it at the Contemporary I just had to have it. I'm really not a t-shirt kind of girl, so I loved how this felt like "real" clothes.

I really enjoyed your report and will be sticking around for the March mini-report. I also love your souvies! :love:

Thanks! I can never resist picking up a few pins. Other than the bag I think I did pretty well. I'm just weak when it comes to cute bags.

I totally understand how you feel. This happened to us on our trip in 2006. It was our first time taking our two youngest and though they had a blast (DD3 and DS10mths at the time) we ran into so much attitude from the bus drivers and bringing our strollers on the bus.:scared1:

We had two single strollers and on several times we were yelled at by the bus drivers we were taking up too much room, why are we taking them on the bus, etc.... it was so awful that when we got home I was done with Disney, but a year later I felt the urge to start planning another trip so in 2009 we returned and had a great time, went again in April and now are thinking of going back in November.:laughing:

But I can't wait to read you minitrip report...:surfweb:

Maybe I was just really due for a trip like that. I think I had stressed myself too much over worrying about my friend having a good time.

Disney just gets into your blood I guess. The bad times just kind of wander out of your mind, and before you know it your booking a new trip.

I am so sorry to hear that your trip didn't live up to your expectations. It is always hard to spend that much money and not have an absolutely wonderful time. :(

On to happier things, I love your souvenirs!!! All of your pins are so cool, and I can't help but be envious of your annual pass and the Tables in Wonderland card with the great Alice artwork on it! :laughing: That's actually one of Mary Blair's concept pieces for Alice in Wonderland.

I really believe that I wasn't going in with my expectations fully sorted out, and when things started not following my plan I just fell apart a bit. I think I'm heading in to my next trip with a better frame of mind.

I didn't realize that was a Mary Blair piece. I really wish they would let anyone get a Tables in Wonderland card. It was the best thing I bought that trip. I was surprised how quickly we made our money back, but that's probably because we had wine or drinks with most of our meals. Plus we got to use it at the Food Court at AsSp. Not a bad deal!

You did really well on your shopping, for sure.

I'm so glad that you could re-capture some of those Disney warm fuzzies in March and can't wait to read all about how you were able to do that! Pete had some great ideas there- I'd definitely try some of those too.

I was planning on getting one of those tea bag rests too- I'm so happy to know that they are for sure there!!! :thumbsup2

It's amazing what a nearly unplanned trip will do to bring back the warm Disney fuzzies! It was easier than I thought it would be.

::coughcoughahemDOITcoughsnifflesnort::

Sorry, I must have one of those Enabler viruses that's going around.

;)

:lmao:

Believe me if there was anyway I could dig up the money for the flight I'd be down there in a heartbeat. Especially as I have an AP good until Dec. 5th!

I better watch out for that enabler virus!

Sorry your December trip was not your favorite. December is hit or miss when it come to weather. I have been when the temp. has been in the 80's and I have been when the temp. was in the 40's. Plus with Christmas it is hard to get away from family.

I look forward to your mini-March report and happier times.

:lmao:

Believe me if there was anyway I could dig up the money for the flight I'd be down there in a heartbeat. Especially as I have an AP good until Dec. 5th!

I better watch out for that enabler virus!

Years back I had an AP I simply needed to use one last time. I ended up getting the airfare as an early Christmas gift from my parents and grandparents. :goodvibes

You know, I'm glad you were honest in your trip report.

I have to tell you, I had similar feelings about my December trip. Although I'm very glad I went with Mom and Nana (and my DS, of course), we all pretty much agreed we wouldn't go out of our way to go back at that time of year. Glad to have seen it once, but it didn't make me yearn to go back then like I do in Sept/Oct. And it really threw off my whole December and my time table for getting things done before the holidays, too, so I can empathize!

Do you remember where your star shaped glow cube came from? I'm only curious because I've seen the block one, but never a star shape. Pretty cool. :thumbsup2

I love all the souvies, you and I are sort of on par with what we purchase, so I enjoy looking at those photos. :goodvibes

You know, I'm glad you were honest in your trip report.

I have to tell you, I had similar feelings about my December trip. Although I'm very glad I went with Mom and Nana (and my DS, of course), we all pretty much agreed we wouldn't go out of our way to go back at that time of year. Glad to have seen it once, but it didn't make me yearn to go back then like I do in Sept/Oct. And it really threw off my whole December and my time table for getting things done before the holidays, too, so I can empathize!

Do you remember where your star shaped glow cube came from? I'm only curious because I've seen the block one, but never a star shape. Pretty cool. :thumbsup2

I love all the souvies, you and I are sort of on par with what we purchase, so I enjoy looking at those photos. :goodvibes

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who felt that way about going during December. I remember you saying after you went then, that you wouldn't go back again in Dec. I know exactly what you mean now. It threw my entire holiday season out of whack. I'm always so busy with my nieces holiday events, as well as all those work and family things. I felt like I never really got to enjoy any of it.

I think the star cube came from the Merry Margarita I got at DHS. I think.

I usually am pretty low key about my souveiners. I hate bringing things home that I know I'll never really use. I have to say though that I'm loving my wristlet. It was a bit more than I usually spend on a souvie, but it's getting alot of use.:)

Did I tell you I actually broke out my purse this past week? I carried it for quite a few days before my overall "will it get dirty" anxiety kicked in! LOL

Did I tell you I actually broke out my purse this past week? I carried it for quite a few days before my overall "will it get dirty" anxiety kicked in! LOL

Good for you! I would imagine breaking it out adds a nice bit of sunshine to your day. :) I'm glad you got to enjoy it a bit before dirt worry kicked in. :rotfl:

Good for you! I would imagine breaking it out adds a nice bit of sunshine to your day. :) I'm glad you got to enjoy it a bit before dirt worry kicked in. :rotfl:

I did enjoy it! And not many people around here have them, so it's unique which is really cool. I'm sure I'll be more apt to use it now that it's had it's trial run, so to speak. :thumbsup2

I haven't been in December, I usually go in October and January, but would like to just see the Christmas decorations just once...maybe someday, but I was glad for your honest opinions about the trip!!!

I want one of those Dooneys maybe I can save up my birthday, anniversary, and Christmas gifts and get one LOL!!!! I bet having that to carry around would make me very happy!!!

I am a huge fan of solo trips and I always have my AP burning a whole in my pocket LOL...so I say go for it LOL!

I haven't been in December, I usually go in October and January, but would like to just see the Christmas decorations just once...maybe someday, but I was glad for your honest opinions about the trip!!!

I want one of those Dooneys maybe I can save up my birthday, anniversary, and Christmas gifts and get one LOL!!!! I bet having that to carry around would make me very happy!!!

I am a huge fan of solo trips and I always have my AP burning a whole in my pocket LOL...so I say go for it LOL!

It had it's good and it's bad points. I loved the decorations but it was way too crowded and it really did put a bit of a cloud over my holiday plans at home.

I've got my eye on a bigger Dooney bag too. It's going to be my reward after finishing the 1/2 marathon. I'm saving up my Disney Visa rewards points to aid the cause. ;)

How does the Tables in Wonderland card work? How much does it cost? Do all the Disney restaurants take that?

I have to say I felt very much the same way when I returned home from our December trip. Our trip was wonderful but I don't think I will ever return at that time of year. The weather was blah and our room location was horrible. We had some really cranky people that we ran into as well. But the worst thing was returning home in midst of the holiday craziness. We had shopping, baking, Christmas concerts, Christmas cards, church services, etc, etc. It was just a time that was really too busy to leave home. Maybe we should have went at a different time?

But I cannot wait to hear about your March trip!! :goodvibes

How does the Tables in Wonderland card work? How much does it cost? Do all the Disney restaurants take that?

I have to say I felt very much the same way when I returned home from our December trip. Our trip was wonderful but I don't think I will ever return at that time of year. The weather was blah and our room location was horrible. We had some really cranky people that we ran into as well. But the worst thing was returning home in midst of the holiday craziness. We had shopping, baking, Christmas concerts, Christmas cards, church services, etc, etc. It was just a time that was really too busy to leave home. Maybe we should have went at a different time?

But I cannot wait to hear about your March trip!! :goodvibes

You can buy a Tables in Wonderland card if you have an annual pass or if your a Florida resident. It was $75 for me since I had bought the annual pass. You show it when you go to pay and you get 20% off your bill at virtually all of the table service restaurants at Disney World. They do add on an 18% gratuity automatically as well. There were also a few quick service restaurants that it was good at as well. Any resort that didn't have a full service restaurant took the card (ie POP, the All Stars, POFQ) as well as the quick serice places at the Animal Kingdom. It gives 20% off of wine and drinks as well if you have them with your meal.

I had run the numbers before leaving, and knew that with where we were eating, and how we like to eat that we'd cover the cost of the card with our savings during our December trip. I think the magic number was $375. Anything after that was all savings. Since we had two trips planned during the year it worked out much better for us than the dining plan. This way we could eat whatever we wanted during our meals - appetizers, meals, drinks etc. and not be stuck with the structured plan. Getting the money off our drinks was nice too.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who felt that way after returning in December. It was nice, but I don't like having my holidays feel that crazy. Too much pressure!

My March trip to Disney came about as a bit of a surprise. It had been less than 3 months from the December trip, and I was still in a funky mood about Disney. I was hoping to be recovered from it by October when I knew I was going again, forget about going so soon, but things have a funny way of turning out.

My parents started talking about taking a trip to Florida to visit my grandmother and adding in a few days at Disney. My grandmother lived up here in CT until about 8 years ago, when New England winters starting being too much for her. For a few years she would split her time up, spending the summers with my mom, and the rest of the year with in Florida with her other daughter. Unfortunately now at 94 years old, the trips back home aren't really a possiblity any longer. She's really lost all ability to handle walking up even the smallest of steps, and here in CT that makes it really impossible for her to even get around. She also is suffering from dementia, and keeping a regular routine really helps her keep focused as much as is possible. Trips up north are out of the question, so now we need to go to her.

Every time I talked to my grandmother on the phone, she would ask me when I was coming down to visit her. I would feel horrible that I would have to tell her I didn't know when, because I didn't have the money to do so. I've been beyond blessed to spend as many years as I have with my grandmother, and with every new birthday I don't want to miss out on the time I get to spend with her.

At the end of January, my employer told us we would be getting a small bonus at the end of February (our first money of any kind in several years). Putting the money towards a credit card would have been great, but I just knew that I needed to use the money on a plane ticket to Florida to visit my gram. :goodvibes

I hadn't intended on joining my parents at Disney. I didn’t want to horn in on their vacation. Trying to plan around us flying out separately was a major headache though. I thought I was going to lose my mind researching flights for the trip. The original plan was for them to go to Disney on their own first, and then head to my grandmother's house. I'd fly into West Palm later in the week, where they would pick me up. I'd stay a few days then go home, and they'd stay about a week longer before flying out of West Palm. That was good in theory, but there were a lot of problems. The logistics and costs were just too crazy. The flights to West Palm were a lot more expensive than Orlando flights, and expenses would have been higher too. It was feeling a bit crazy to pay for multiple cars to be parked for a week, or to pay for one car to be parked and then car service to a NY airport just for a cheaper flight.

After playing around with what felt like every combination under the sun (believe me, my worksheets for this trip are just crazy) we finally just gave up and decided that I would just join them for their trip to Disney and then on to my grandmother's house. I had the annual pass, so I wouldn't have to pay anything to get into the parks. I could stay with my parents so I wouldn't have to worry about a room. Food would be my only consideration, and my work bonus would just about cover that. Looks like I was headed to Disney again, even if I wasn't feeling quite ready for a return trip. The plans:

When: Feb. 26 - March 3, 2010 - Disney, then on to my grandmother's until the 7th. My parents staying an additional week.

Where: Port Orleans French Quarter (My parents don't stay anywhere else). ;)

The Players: Me, my mom and my dad. (Here with the 2 nieces this past Halloween).

DSC02607_opt.jpg

All complete Disney addicts. My father used to be a die-hard planner, but basically turned all planning for this trip over to me to handle. :)Getting them both to tell me what they wanted to do and see on this trip was like pulling teeth. :headache:I thought of myself as being just along for the ride this trip, and wanted to make sure that they were doing, eating, etc. was what they really wanted. They'd keep telling me to just make plans, and ADRs and they'd be happy no matter what. Seriously, they were the easiest two people ever to plan a trip for.

Planning was kept to a minimum. They weren't going to add the hopper option to their tickets, so I had to create a basic plan for which park we'd hit each day. ADRs were scheduled surprisingly easily around that. (I love trying to get ADRs when there is no free dining going on - so easy!). That was it. That was the extent of our planning.

It turned out to be just what my Disney loving soul needed…

after a bit of a rough beginning :rolleyes1

I'm so happy you were able to go see your grandmother. :) Can't wait to read about the trip.

I thought I had a picture of her in my photobucket account I was going to post, but I couldn't find it. :headache: I'll have to post it once I get home. I really do love getting to visit my entire family in Florida. Once we are all together I feel just like a kid again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter