February and Cheerleaders??

indymom1

Mouseketeer
My DH and I are thinking of taking our two DS ages 7 and almost 2 to DW for a quick trip this Feb. We were looking at his calendar and he has a four day weekend at the end of the month which would be a perfect time to get away from the cold and snow here. My question is when do the Cheerleaders go to DW for their competition?? I have read so many negative posts about this I am really hoping that someone can give me the dates. If they will be there during our time can anyone tell me how bad it really is??
Thanks in advance:)

Kathy

Although I don't have any specific dates, I believe the cheerleaders are there the weekend beofre president's day. We'll be there from the first thursday in feb through the second thursday (5-12), the sames time as last year, when we ran into the cheerleaders. with pop century openining up, I'm really hoping that most of them will be corraled at All-Stars, as we had an overflow into PoR last year.
I don't mind when people are having fun, but there were too many times they crossed the line into abnoxoius last year.

~Chris

I've always seen them the last week of January and first week of February.

Have fun!

Anne

I remember seeing a list somewhere of course now I don't know where it is, but anyway it seemed quite a few weekends in January and February had cheerleading competitions. I do know that they were there on each of the weekends that bordered the first week in Feb. this past year. They were not a problem at all. We saw them in the parks on the weekends and they were just as giddy to be there as any kid! Now I do know they usually stay at the All-Stars and sometimes CBR and people who did stay at these resorts did seem to report some problems such as early morning and late evening cheer practice. We were at AKL and there were no groups there. So if you can stay at other resorts I don't think you'll find them a problem.

So if I understand correctly since we will be there Feb 27-March 2 and are thinking of staying at the All Stars we should not have a problem with loud cheering at night or early morning?? I hope so:)

I think there are several cheer competitions there this year. Our girls will be staying at all stars March, sometime between 12th and 15th. Hope this helps.

Jeanne

When we were there last year the cheerleaders were going down with us on Febraury 19th. They were stayting at the All Stars.

We actually looked this up, as we will be there the last of Jan/first of Feb. this year. What we learned is that there is some sort of competition the weekend of Jan. 30-Feb. 1. But the big kahuna (sorry, I'm not a cheerleader so I can't remember what exactly it is, only that it's the big one) is the following weekend -- Feb. 6-8, I think. But there will probably be people arriving early and/or staying later so those two weeks around that weekend will probably have at least some cheerleaders. But I'm not worried about it -- we'll be at BCV, so I'm pretty sure they won't be there in great numbers.

We stayed at the ASMUR in February of 2002. It was the second week, around Feb 8. It was incredibly crowded and extremely loud. The Cheerleaders were very annoying on the busses, on site and in the parks. That week also happened to be during Mardi Gras which made it extra crowded with visitors from New Orleans. So my advice would be to avoid the second week and make sure you don't go during Mardis Gras! We have friends who always go the first week in February and say it is a great time to go, but they stay at Coronado Springs.

Here are two sites that talk about FL cheerleading competitions.

This is on about.com's website and is FL in general -
http://cheerleading.about.com/library/comp/blcomp_FL.htm

This is on intercot's site and has a calendar of upcoming events at Disney World-
http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/calendar/events.asp

Some Orlando and WDW competitions that I found:

December 6-12,2003 - Pop Warner Cheerleading Championships at Disney's World Wide of Sports Complex

2004 National Cheerleading Championships at Wide World of Sports Complex
College Championship -- January 15-19, 2004
National Dance Team -- January 30 - February 3, 2004
National High School -- February 6 - 10, 2004
National All Star -- March 12 - 16, 2004

January 23-25 Cheerleading & Dance Open - location TBA

March 26 - 28 at Universal - US Spirit Cheer & Dance

As a side note, how "bad" will it be for those of us who are staying at the All Star resorts with the cheerleading squards? How loud is it and does it make it crowded enough to think about upgrading to a different resort? Thanks! :wave2:

We stayed twice with the cheerleaders. It was enough to make us say never again.

They were in the courtyards from 6:00am until after midnight practicing. They crowded the pool, the food court, the buses. They would cut in lines at the food court and bus stop, and the pools were so full of rowdy teens that they weren't really safe for the younger kids to swim in. They would begin cheering on the buses at the top of their lungs. We ran into a few with total potty mouths.

Many were not well chaperoned, they were pushy, obnoxious, and not good representatives of their schools for sure.

Of course there were some groups who were polite and quiet, but they were few and far between. Too bad, because it was the majority that made a bad name for all.

I would most definitely not stay at any of the All Stars that will be hosting them. Perhaps PC is a cheerleader free zone and you can switch there? Or maybe there will be a good code for one of the moderates?

Good luck.

Anne

OK, so if we're NOT staying at the All Stars will we be safe from the cheerleaders? We arrive on the 7th of Feb and stay through the 16th. I ask because we are taking my in-laws and my SIL's family and they've never done the World and we want this trip to be special. We will be staying at the boardwalk.

There will be few if any at the BW, so as far as the resort goes, you're safe there. ;)

Avoid MGM on Friday and Saturday, because those are the days they'll have the competitions there (although they might have moved to the Sports Complex, check where they will be competing when you arrive and simply avoid that area, and you'll be fine :)

Yes, you'll see them in all the parks, but not in the large numbers that they ar ein at the resorts.

Anne

I agree with everything ducklite said.

Being a cheer mom I admit alot of the squads seem poorly chaperoned and even more poorley mannered. That said, our girls are required to bring a parent (coachs rule) and it makes a huge difference in rude/rowdy girls. Unfortunately not the noise level. They do all practice early in the morning out on the grass which makes sleeping nearly impossible. Ours never had time for the pool but honestly it looked so crowded that I wouldnt risk letting the little ones in either.

For our March competitions (all star nationals) they try to put the cheerleaders in the very back buildings at All Star Sports (we werent given the option of any other all star). Just a little FYI though, we are also always given the choice of a moderate if we want to upgrade. Last years choice was Caribbean beach resort. Dont know what the choice will be this year yet. So there is usually a moderate that is overwhelmed with the cheerleaders.

Wishing everyone a wonderful vacation.

Yes, the cheerleaders will be there (it's Nationals), in fact MY stepdaughters will be there! Not only will it be All-Star cheerleaders, and school youth cheerleaders, it is dance competitions as well.

My girls are set to arrive on 2/27 and leave on 3/1. They are staying at All Stars. My understanding of their schedule is they will arrive on 2/27 all meet up and hit the parks. On Sat it is practice, practice, practice, and on Sun it is competition ALL day (8 am till 8 pm). Mon they are flying home.

We are going from 2/27 - 3/6, but staying at the Dolphin. I doubt the cheerleaders will pose much a problem at the parks, they are too busy practicing, not sure I would want to stay at All-Stars.

My DD will be in a cheer competition Jan 30,and 31 at universals hard rock then again in Tampa for nationals March 26-28.Our groupwill not be on Disney property we will be off site till after competition then alot of the girls will be vacationing on property!! We will be at Yacht club. GO GEMZ!!!! lol :teeth:

I heard that last year Port Orleans Riverside had cheerleaders as well. I would also think the high school competition would be the worst of the bunch, just due to the sheer volume of girls.

I would definitely consider moving from the all-stars. We are headed to ASSPR the first week in December, and thankfully will only overlap the Pop Warner crowd by a day or two. I'm not looking forward to the noise, but can't beat our $49 AP rate.

Hi everyone,

After reading this thread I am now considering changing my reservations. Right now I have a reservation for Feb. 2nd to the 9th at All Star Movies. I was once a cheerleader myself but now being in my 30's I'm not interested in hearing cheers all hours of the night and day. I also want to avoid the holiday rush in February. Any suggestions??????

Thanks,

LAH

I would avoid the All Stars to avoid the cheerleaders. I don't know if PC will also be overrun with them during that time, but that might be a possibility.

Is there a code you can use to stay at CSR? Or perhaps you could think about renting DVC points for a studio. It might be a little more, but the minifridge and microwave might help compensate.

If you could back up into January a week at an OKW studio on rented points will cost $800--no tax.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter