Feb use year?

Kim Gillihan

Kluvdisney
i don't know why I can't fully understand this... But can someone help me understand how a feb use year would work for me.

Travel time could vary. Summer, November, December and possibly spring break which is March.

I think June and October would be great but trying to widen my options.

Thanks so much! Kim

It's bad if you cancel because there's so little time to take a rescheduled trip.

But if you don't cancel it's no issue. I'd say over half our trips are in December and even January and it hasn't been an issue with our feb use year.

Thanks! It's just tough finding perfect contract. I found it and wasn't fast enough!! April may good option too.

There's tons December out that seems bad too.

Not great if you ever had a last minute cancellation from a Dec trip.
Thanks! It's just tough finding perfect contract. I found it and wasn't fast enough!! April may good option too.

There's tons December out that seems bad too.

It's only bad if you ever have a last minute cancellation. If you every did on a November trip you'd likely lose all the points as you wouldn't have time to reschedule or rent them out. Even one last minute cancellation can make it worthwhile to get the best UY you can.

Contracts come on the market all the time. I recommend a little patience to see what comes around.

i don't know why I can't fully understand this... But can someone help me understand how a feb use year would work for me.
Travel time could vary. Summer, November, December and possibly spring break which is March.
Those travel months are all year long. How about look at it this way... Are there any groups of months that you think you will not likely ever want to go? How about Jan-Feb? That seems to be a small group you didn't mention. If Jan-Feb is a time you won't go, I'd pick a March UY. That's optimal for your Spring Break and summer trips, and it works for Nov-Dec too.

Mar is better than Feb because Feb is not on your list of times to go. So this gets you extra time to bank later in the year. March UY would have a banking deadline of the end of Oct. So you'd have to decide by the end of Oct if you're keeping any Nov-Dec trip, which is only 30-60 days from travel so hopefully you'd know by then.

Jun is not good since you want to do spring breaks.
Oct is not good since you want to do summers.

Last edited:

Those travel months are all year long. How about look at it this way... Are there any groups of months that you think you will not likely ever want to go? How about Jan-Feb? That seems to be a small group you didn't mention. If Jan-Feb is a time you won't go, I'd pick a March UY. That's optimal for your Spring Break and summer trips, and it works for Nov-Dec too.

Mar is better than Feb because Feb is not on your list of times to go. So this gets you extra time to bank later in the year. March UY would have a banking deadline of the end of Oct. So you'd have to decide by the end of Oct if you're keeping any Nov-Dec trip, which is only 30-60 days from travel so hopefully you'd know by then.

Or, if there's a particular time they will go the most and the others are just possibilities then get a UY for the time that will be most traveled. Like most of us they keep adding times they might travel. :)

Great idea. Good way look at it. Thx so much.

Thanks so much! Kim
Decide what the frequency of each time will be and if any are higher risk for changes/cancelations than others. Remember that DVC poses more risk if you can't target a good UY. As posted, and assuming spring break won't be common, June is likely the best single UY, it only truly orphans Spring Break. However, if the frequency of each will vary, that could change the answer.

I have February, and it would seem good because we do not plan on spending any time from October to January, but to be honest, we never cancel so it really does not seem to matter much.

I have February, and it would seem good because we do not plan on spending any time from October to January, but to be honest, we never cancel so it really does not seem to matter much.
That's my issue is we do plan travel November and December...... But we don't cancel either.... But you never know.

Glad it works good for you!!

And summer and spring. :)

You're hitting all the seasons!
I know!! Thats what made it so hard... made offer on april uy.... still not perfect, but nothing is..... June would have been closer to perfect, but oh well, my and my son's bday is in April, so happy bday to us, hopefully

Use year only matters in 2 scenarios. The first as already mentioned is cancellation.
The second, often overlooked is that the earlier in the calendar year, the earlier you would have your points for use that year. This was a big consideration for me when buying as I wanted my points as soon as it closed, so that I could rent out 2016 points banked into 2017 straight away on closing and get some cash back, and I'd have my 2017 points banked into 2018 and my 2018 points would be in my account in time to book an early 2018 trip combining two lots of points. So a Feb use year worked great for me. As I understand it, if I'd had a late use year (Dec etc), my 2018 points wouldn't have been in the account for the early 2018 trip.

As I understand it, if I'd had a late use year (Dec etc), my 2018 points wouldn't have been in the account for the early 2018 trip.
You would have simply used 2017 points for an early 2018 trip. You get a full year (12 months) to use your points. Use year is just an arbitrary start to your year.

You would have simply used 2017 points for an early 2018 trip. You get a full year (12 months) to use your points. Use year is just an arbitrary start to your year.
Yes but I need 2 years' points so say if I am booking May 2018 I needed the use year for 2018 to be pre May don't I?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter