Fears about the Hollywood Studios announcement

I'm trying to keep my expectations in check, but I'm still intrigued by what might be announced. I've pretty much written off 2016 and 2017 as years where a trip to DHS will be worthwhile. I'm thinking we'll start to see new things that are exciting in 2018 and then there will be a large push in the few years after that. I just hope that don't stay vague and actually show some concept art of whatever they announce.

HS used to be my favorite park growing up, especially because of Voyage of The Little Mermaid. I hope this change isn't negative!

What exactly do you think people reference that never existed?

Quick example: people who complain that Disney is no longer innovative with rides because a new ride is announced that uses a pre-existing ride system. Well, most of Magic Kingdom was just a rebuild of Disneyland. So this idea that if every new ride isn't a completely unique ride system, then Disney isn't the innovator it once was, is an unrealistic vision of what it ever was. Yes, Disney was an innovator, but it also reused ride systems and rides constantly.

Quick example: people who complain that Disney is no longer innovative with rides because a new ride is announced that uses a pre-existing ride system. Well, most of Magic Kingdom was just a rebuild of Disneyland. So this idea that if every new ride isn't a completely unique ride system, then Disney isn't the innovator it once was, is an unrealistic vision of what it ever was. Yes, Disney was an innovator, but it also reused ride systems and rides constantly.
Disney using existing technology never bothered me either. They can still be innovative while using elements already in place in my opinion.

Disney doesn't typically do cheap upgrades, from what I've seen.
lol

oft_blog_gft_11-19-12.jpg

I fully wish they would close down DHS completely, do the renovations and then have a big grand re-opening. I can't really see people not booking a trip to WDW because Hollywood Studios isn't opened, so that shouldn't be a good reason not to proceed as such.

If the predictions of 2021 being the completion date is accurate, having the park under construction for the next 5-6 years isn't very desirable. If they close to update the park (depending on the types of rides, maybe 1 year) it would be a much easier and worthwhile transition. They would then get a bigger rush of tourists faster and could more directly compete with Universal in a timely manner.

Do you think that DHS distributes enough people that they would be worried about the other remaining parks being overcrowded? Perhaps with one park closed, those folks might redistribute themselves in the water parks or Disney Springs. Even so, it would only be for a short time.

I fully wish they would close down DHS completely, do the renovations and then have a big grand re-opening. I can't really see people not booking a trip to WDW because Hollywood Studios isn't opened, so that shouldn't be a good reason not to proceed as such.

If the predictions of 2021 being the completion date is accurate, having the park under construction for the next 5-6 years isn't very desirable. If they close to update the park (depending on the types of rides, maybe 1 year) it would be a much easier and worthwhile transition. They would then get a bigger rush of tourists faster and could more directly compete with Universal in a timely manner.

Do you think that DHS distributes enough people that they would be worried about the other remaining parks being overcrowded? Perhaps with one park closed, those folks might redistribute themselves in the water parks or Disney Springs. Even so, it would only be for a short time.

I agree with the logic about closing the park, which would lead to a much faster turnaround. However, I think Disney is still making money from DHS and can't afford to have their quarterly profits go down. Fans would probably accept the trade-off, but stockholders might have a different opinion.

Personally, I think people are more likely to go to other parks in the area. We're planning on doing Legoland on our next trip and skipping DHS. It costs extra money but will be a new experience for all of us. Universal is the most likely to gain from guests having more free time.

The thing is, if DHS closes, most of the guests will be funneled into MK, which is pretty crowded already. Plus, a closed park doesn't make money.

I think they should drop the single-day ticket price at DHS. I still want the park open because there's a few things there I wouldn't want to miss, but until they add some of the things I expect will be announced this weekend, the price of admission is nonsense.

I know nothing about construction, but would it really speed up the process all that much? I mean the parts undergoing construction are going to be closed off even if the park is open, right?

I fully wish they would close down DHS completely, do the renovations and then have a big grand re-opening.

I don't really think Disney needs to do this. With proper phasing the construction can be done with little effect on vacationers. Start with Pixar in the Back lot, build one or two dark rides and some kiddy attractions. Also put something in the unused spaces (Sounds Dangerous, Backlot theater, Animation Building, Jack Sparrow building) these can be temporary things or more permanent such as Jedi Academy. Next take down LMA/Streets of America/Muppets and put whatever will go there, Star Wars/Cars. Then finally do the odd spaces such as Indiana Jones, Mickey Avenue and Animation Courtyard.

Course not sure how long this plan would take Disney. I feel like Universal is going to have Kong finished before Disney finishes sitting for Rivers of Light.

Why would Disney close a park that is still making money and still going to make money when under construction. The park as is, is not losing money so they don't need to close it. Yes closing it would give construction crews more space and time to work but from a business perspective it's not a good idea.

I know nothing about construction, but would it really speed up the process all that much? I mean the parts undergoing construction are going to be closed off even if the park is open, right?

Well, they try to make as little noise as possible during operating hours. Many times they have to work after-hours since most guests don't like to hear a drill and an excavator while roaming around the park.

I don't think anyone ever did or would suggest that EVERYTHING has to be new...

And lets not even go the "Disney always uses old stuff" route...

The tubular rail (all metal rollercoasters...90% of the worlds supply), flume systems, the omnimover, AA, computer control, synchronized control, about a dozen safety systems, the pre show, the on ride photo, the shop dump, the multipark complex, the multiday ticket, the fastpass system (1.0... Still the standard bearer for simplicity and usability)

These were all firsts and are not small things.

Disney has installed a co-developed ride, a clone, another clone, a repurposed spinner and clone, and one junior coaster with one AA scene, and numerous overlays of existing systems...

Actually just tWO: nemo and frozen out of place...

...Since 2005...four parks, 10 years, tens of billions in revenue, hundreds of millions in walkaway profit.

Avatar will open to expand that dearth period to 14 years...

That's a lot of parks and alot of stagnation time for themeparks.

It just is...hard to counterpoint it.

And...if anyone is gonna tell
Me that the pace of construction isnt a problem...and a deliberate tactic...we are just NOT gonna be able to have tea together

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter