Fear the Walking Dead - anyone?

Yessss! I was hoping there would be a DIS FTWD thread going!

My biggest concern from the pilot episode - because I am a Los Angeles resident and obsessed with details - did anyone else notice the gas station by where Nick got hit by the car? The price read $2.35..... gas in and around Los Angeles is ranging from $3.89-$4.99/gal right now. So my thoughts are...

1) This is set while Rick is still in the coma... the apocalypse started in 2011, right? So maybe this was an intentional price change for setting (maybe they'll raise the prices once people freak out and start stocking up), but $2.35 is still exceptionally low for LA - I don't know of it being under $3/gal in the past four years.
2) They didn't notice the gas price on the sign and didn't bother to change it. In which case, it means they did not shoot that scene in or around Los Angeles because gas prices are not that low in California!
3) Somewhere surround LA gas was really listed at that low for the day. Why??????

I'm guessing that I'm the only person this bothers.

y biggest concern from the pilot episode - because I am a Los Angeles resident and obsessed with details - did anyone else notice the gas station by where Nick got hit by the car? The price read $2.35..... gas in and around Los Angeles is ranging from $3.89-$4.99/gal right now. So my thoughts are...
LOL, it just shows you're a native and probably only bothers you and other natives! We had the same problem with the movie The Judge, with RDJ. One scene they are driving down a road and my DH is like, sheesh, they keep going back and forth on the same section of road! To anyone else watching the movie, they are just driving from point A to point B. To us, we see X's farm on the right, then the left. On the right, then the left. Must have been a PITA for whomever was driving the film/tow truck back and forth :rotfl2: Plus many other little oddities that only locals would pick up on, so I understand where you are coming from.

But yes, it DOES happen either at the same time or just previously to Rick's coma. Did you google gas prices from around LA? Of course, we don't know exactly what year this is supposed to happen in, do we? I mean, sort of around now, but no exact year, right? It's not like the opening credits for Thundar the Barbarian where they give you the exact year

My biggest concern from the pilot episode - because I am a Los Angeles resident and obsessed with details - did anyone else notice the gas station by where Nick got hit by the car? The price read $2.35..... gas in and around Los Angeles is ranging from $3.89-$4.99/gal right now. So my thoughts are...

1) This is set while Rick is still in the coma... the apocalypse started in 2011, right? So maybe this was an intentional price change for setting (maybe they'll raise the prices once people freak out and start stocking up), but $2.35 is still exceptionally low for LA - I don't know of it being under $3/gal in the past four years.
2) They didn't notice the gas price on the sign and didn't bother to change it. In which case, it means they did not shoot that scene in or around Los Angeles because gas prices are not that low in California!
3) Somewhere surround LA gas was really listed at that low for the day. Why??????

The are filming both in LA & Vancouver so maybe those scenes were in Vancouver.

I usually have a problem with movies set in Boston, not because of location shots. Please stop trying to mimic a Boston accent, most sound ridiculous.

My biggest concern from the pilot episode - because I am a Los Angeles resident and obsessed with details - did anyone else notice the gas station by where Nick got hit by the car? The price read $2.35....

Two separate articles on gas prices. I'm guessing TWD takes place somewhere in between '08 and '10-ish based on those articles.

The Orange County average price dropped four-tenths of a cent today to $3.079, its lowest amount since Oct. 12, 2010.

Gas falls below $2 a gallon
U.S. average drops to its lowest level in 46 months. State's price may fall that low soon.
November 25, 2008|Ronald D. White | White is a Times staff writer.
Long-awaited relief at the pump continued over the last week with the nation's average retail gasoline price falling below $2 a gallon to its lowest level in 46 months, the Energy Department said Monday.

It's also been that long since California's average gasoline price was below $2 a gallon. But the state seemed likely to challenge that old barrier sometime this week.

LOL, good eye, I didn't even notice gas prices. But yes, this is a prequel, so it's starting around the time of Ricks coma, and definitely before he wakes up as everything had gone to heck at that point.

Did anyone else expect to see Danny and Knickie in Greased Lightning on Thunder Road (aka the flood control area thing at the end of the episode)? I wonder how many times that particular area is used for movies.
LOL, I didn't expect to see them, but I did say outloud something about how many movies/tv shows that area is used for.

And sober people are likely to think the new walkers are strung out on something... Remember the face-eating druggie in FL that went viral a while back? Even in a world with zombie fiction that's the place most people's minds would go, not to the actual living dead!

I think it was wonderful how the chaos slowly built in the background without the characters registering it. The missing persons flyers on the wall, the phone in the hospital ringing off the hook, the sirens, the boyfriend not answering texts, all those little things that are such a part of modern life that they don't quite manage to point to a major problem as the zombie epidemic begins. I didn't find the episode slow at all and I'm really looking forward to next week.

Okay, I guess the characters weren't the only ones not registering these things. Maybe I need to watch again to catch all the little details...I missed all of this.

Maybe I need to watch again to catch all the little details...I missed all of this.
I watched it twice. Second time I saw it, in the hospital when the old guy dies, I heard the Dr ask when he coded and when the nurse says just now he replies if they don't get him back in 60 seconds to bring him downstairs. At 60 seconds Dr calls it and says to get him downstairs as there is too much they don't understand or know yet. I forget which word he used. Bolded is the bit I missed the first time. Goes to show that something is happening that at least medical is aware of, even if they don't know what "it" is.

Also makes me think of when Rick wakes up in the hospital and he goes downstairs and sees the room chained off with "Don't open, dead inside" on the door. I wonder if it became hospital procedure to "quarantine" the "dead".

I watched it twice. Second time I saw it, in the hospital when the old guy dies, I heard the Dr ask when he coded and when the nurse says just now he replies if they don't get him back in 60 seconds to bring him downstairs. At 60 seconds Dr calls it and says to get him downstairs as there is too much they don't understand or know yet. I forget which word he used. Bolded is the bit I missed the first time. Goes to show that something is happening that at least medical is aware of, even if they don't know what "it" is.

Also makes me think of when Rick wakes up in the hospital and he goes downstairs and sees the room chained off with "Don't open, dead inside" on the door. I wonder if it became hospital procedure to "quarantine" the "dead".

Such a good catch! I didn't notice this since I was expecting the guy to just die and come after the main character kid. I heard about this detail on a podcast and am sad that I missed it.

I was thinking the same thing, it makes sense that morgues would be a huge spreader of the infection.

it makes sense that morgues would be a huge spreader of the infection.
I don't know about "spreading the infection". I think they all have it already. Whatever "it" is. I just think they put them in the morgue or wherever "downstairs' and lock the doors. Although I almost think it's not the morgue for two reasons. One, the room that's chained that Rick sees does not look like a morgue entrance. I didn't see any morgue signs on the doors and I would assume there would be. I'll have to go back to TWD 1st episode and see. Two, for the volume they would be dealing with in the beginning before they realized what was going on, I think it would overflow the morgue pretty quickly. Even conceding that large city hospitals would have a large morgue, I still think it would overwhelm the morgue pretty quick. My first feeling in Ep. 1 on TWD was it was the cafeteria.

Edit
Just youtubed it. Must have been my subconscious. There is a sign over the door that says Cafeteria.

Last edited:
Is the hospital in this show the same hospital Rick is in? Could the big police hold up, in this show, when the mom and step dad are looking for the son and they are at an exit and it gets blocked by police activity (could that be when Rick got shot)? I have to go back ans refresh some of my memory on TWD details.

Nevermind...opposite sides of the country (LA versus Atlanta).

I am not sure if at this point they all have it already. That's the part I have always wondered about. How does everyone get infected and not know it. If everyone has always been infected, then walkers would have always been an issue. So at some point, there is something that spreads to everyone, some have symptoms (like Morgans wife, who he said got sick with fever and then died, and the people who have called in sick with the flu) and others just come back when they do die. That is my thoughts on it, though I would really love to know the beginning, even though they have said they won't go there.

Is the hospital in this show the same hospital Rick is in? Could the big police hold up, in this show, when the mom and step dad are looking for the son and they are at an exit and it gets blocked by police activity (could that be when Rick got shot)? I have to go back ans refresh some of my memory on TWD details.
No, Rick is in Georgia and they are in Los Angeles.

I don't know about "spreading the infection". I think they all have it already. Whatever "it" is. I just think they put them in the morgue or wherever "downstairs' and lock the doors. Although I almost think it's not the morgue for two reasons. One, the room that's chained that Rick sees does not look like a morgue entrance. I didn't see any morgue signs on the doors and I would assume there would be. I'll have to go back to TWD 1st episode and see. Two, for the volume they would be dealing with in the beginning before they realized what was going on, I think it would overflow the morgue pretty quickly. Even conceding that large city hospitals would have a large morgue, I still think it would overwhelm the morgue pretty quick. My first feeling in Ep. 1 on TWD was it was the cafeteria.

Edit
Just youtubed it. Must have been my subconscious. There is a sign over the door that says Cafeteria.

To clarify I meant spreading the infection as in biting & infecting others. I don't know that it was a morgue but one full of dead would erupt

To clarify I meant spreading the infection as in biting & infecting others. I don't know that it was a morgue but one full of dead would erupt
Gotcha. Imagine the poor morgue attendants when the dead started rising and attacking??? This just went through my head.

I would imagine that poor guy would be their 1st victim. I would think if you hear pounding inside a drawer & when you open it up - BAM! Although I think LA morgues use storage freezers & gurneys. I can't imagine seeing those sheets coming off

I am not sure if at this point they all have it already. That's the part I have always wondered about. How does everyone get infected and not know it.

If not everyone, at least some people do have it already without knowing. Otherwise the drug dealer wouldn't have come back after being shot. But from what we know it has to be airborne and asymptomatic or nearly so because otherwise I think people would identify the start of this with an unusual illness that had gone around.

But as far as Morgan's wife, I was under the impression that she was bitten. He clearly thought, when he first encountered Rick, that the bite was what caused people to come back, and the fever/slow death followed by a return is what we saw in those with less severe bites early in the season. If his wife had died from unrelated illness and then came back as a walker I doubt he'd only have been concerned that Rick's wound wasn't a bite; any potential cause of death would be a threat.

If not everyone, at least some people do have it already without knowing. Otherwise the drug dealer wouldn't have come back after being shot. But from what we know it has to be airborne and asymptomatic or nearly so because otherwise I think people would identify the start of this with an unusual illness that had gone around.

But as far as Morgan's wife, I was under the impression that she was bitten. He clearly thought, when he first encountered Rick, that the bite was what caused people to come back, and the fever/slow death followed by a return is what we saw in those with less severe bites early in the season. If his wife had died from unrelated illness and then came back as a walker I doubt he'd only have been concerned that Rick's wound wasn't a bite; any potential cause of death would be a threat.

Yes, I believe some people have it already, but I don't know that everyone does quite yet. I wish we knew how it spread.

I did think about your other comments, after I typed it. And Rick and Shane finding those guards with no bites, and that was the first indication.
With all the comments about flu shots in this show, are these people just not showing up for work, or are people really feeling ill? So many questions :-).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter