Favorite thing to do at DL without kids?

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by aleighc1, Sep 15, 2013.

1. aleighc1

aleighc1 Mad in Wonderland

My husband and I are getting a one day Disney trip next month, and I'm wondering if there is something special we should try to do since we won't have our kids with us? I know that it will be fun and special just for the fact that we won't have the stresses involved with touring with 8 kids (we just did that at the end of April when I took my husband and our children on their very first trip to Disney), but I just want to make the most out of our time there since we will only have the one day. I don't know Disney well enough yet to know all the hidden gems around the resort ;) I do have to admit though, I'm loving the fact that this trip is top secret and absolutely no one knows we are going! (My mom is watching our kids because we have to go to SF on business, and I just decided there was no reason to let anyone in on our little detour plan!)

I'd love to hear suggestions from other parents who've done Disney kid-free!

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. aliceindisneyland

aliceindisneyland DIS Veteran

Sounds fun! We only had an hour by ourselves last week when my mom joined us at DCA. We had a drink, took a picture with Minnie, and rode Tower of Terror - it's the only ride my kids won't do. I'd ride Ghost Galaxy too while I had the chance!

4. DLmama

DLmama Mouseketeer

We had an adults only trip in August and it was great! Watch the shows. Enjoy sitting somewhere with a snack and just relax. We did single rider for RSR because we could. :-)

5. Itinkso

Itinkso Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Make a lunch or dinner reservation for Blue Bayou.
    Walk up and through Sleeping Beauty's Castle.
    Take a break in the Grand Californian...they have comfy couches!

6. Girimama33

Girimama33 "I've disgraced the forces of evil."

I recommend a tour...especially the Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour
    If you like adult beverages, a visit to Trader Sam's or Carthay Circle's lounge
    Dinner at Napa Rose Chef's Counter

Sounds like a lot of fun. I would love an adult only trip. Let us know what you decide to do.

7. DharmaLou

DharmaLou Once a Princess, Always a Princess

Well, last year DD hated dark rides, so I'd say go on all the dark rides + the ones that she wasn't tall enough to ride. But I agree with making reservations at BB or maybe Carthay Circle.

8. GrandBob

GrandBob <font color=blue>Grand events should not go unnoti

Trader Sam's! Definitely my favorite adult venue at DLR.

9. lalasmama

lalasmama DIS Veteran

We went to DL as a couple for our honeymoon 2 months ago. While we had 3 days in the parks, our "couples" things wouldn't even take a whole day!

Some ideas:

Meal waterside at the Blue Bayou. We did this, and got placed at the last (first?) table of the waterside, behind the little keelboat on the right side if you are on the ride (left side if you are looking at the ride from Blue Bayou). We had a tree coming down over us, could see just a little of the ride, and it felt pretty special.

Meal at Carthay Circle (we did the WOC meal, got tickets for the late show, which gave us an almost empty seating area).

Take some "couples only" pictures (we did the fish net in the Wharf area of DCA, in front of the castle at night before fireworks [when it's all blocked off, so no one else is in the picture]). We just didn't have many pictures of just us, so we made a point to change that.

Make a point to hold hands while walking.

Dark rides mean you get to snuggle. ;)

If you do grown-up drinks, try Trader Sam's, or, our favorite, the lounge in GCH. The lounge is quiet, and the drinks are strong ;)

Spend time just sitting and watching... We loved sitting on a bench and just watching people.

Get a button--they have "happily ever after" ones sometimes, and "happy anniversary" (which, could mean your 16,486 day anniversary, it doesn't have to be anything big!). Enjoy people congratulating you on your union :)

Do things your kids didn't want to/weren't able to do. Our DD couldn't care less about the Jungle Cruise, so we rode it daily. We sang with the Tiki birds. We watched Aladdin. We rode Indiana Jones several times in a row (I think it was 4).

Above all, just spend time being "together" as husband and wife (or partners, or whatever!), remembering what brought you together in the beginning :)

10. Amommy21

Amommy21 DIS Veteran

Don't miss Napa Rose!

Carthay Circle has become a new favorite as well.

We only have one child so he always tags along... but if DH and I were to go alone we would for sure plan our day around meals as these two favorites!

Then I think you decided between bubble gum rally (hitting every single attraction) because you can book it around the park with out a big group. Or the opposite, taking it slow, shopping, have your silhouettes done on main street (my most favorite keepsake ever) going on a tour, even just taking in the atmosphere with special treats.

11. jacs1234

jacs1234 DIS Veteran

When we had an adults only trip it felt soooooooo much easier to get around (and I only have 4 children). Napa Rose is nice, we loved it.
    Go on the "big kid" rides over and over without needing people sitting out. Browse the shops without little people asking for things. Eat dinner without someone spilling their drink,

12. Kittyskyfish

Kittyskyfish Wee little ears...

Enjoy the luxury of having complete freedom to see and do anything you want! This is the time eat at the pricier restaurants like Carthay Circle, Blue Bayou, Napa Rose. Slow down and soak in the scenery with a breakfast at the River Belle Terrace. Do the Fantasmic dessert package if available. Enjoy more desserts and sweets allowed by any sane nutritionist. Give yourselves a chance to reconnect without distractions as a couple.

And of course, the best hidden gem is the privacy of your hotel room. *wags brows*

:lmao:

13. 3Minnies1Mickey

3Minnies1Mickey <font color=magenta>Just wanted to add, this is no

My favorite was actually getting to ride with DH on rides!

14. DisneytheKid

DisneytheKid A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Such an awesome thread! My DW and I are going in January and im loving some of the suggestions. :thumbsup2

15. Jaina

Jaina Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long story...

We have done two adults-only trips (before our kids were old enough to be enjoyable on the 7-hr drive, etc) and I loved them. We hit Fantasyland first and did all the little kid rides (which I never did growing up - we were more thrill ride people) and there was still plenty of time for those. Having been with kids now, I would probably get a lot of fun treats (that aren't in the budget for 5 people, but for 2, are no big deal). Enjoy getting a good spot for the fireworks, if they're happening. I love the idea of a tour!

16. disneyobsessed808

disneyobsessed808 DIS Veteran

I would say eat at Napa Rose chef's counters. It can be a lengthy (but delicious) experience though. Ride the rides that no one else wants to ride - see mgreat moments with Mr. Lincoln.

17. crystal1313

crystal1313 DIS Veteran

We just got back from our annual adults only trip! DH and I actually don't do a whole lot at the parks, lol. We take it easy, grab fastpasses or single rider for the attractions we love. It's nice to sit with my husband on a ride for a change. I love taking the boys, but going back just the two of us reminds of both of going before we had kids. It's fun.

Take lots of snack breaks and in general, just enjoy each others company and be thankful we are able to have entire conversations without being interrupted! haha. We actually grabbed starbucks a couple of times and just sat and enjoyed our drink. I finally tried the massive cinnamon roll there, it was SO good! I also finally tried Red's apple freeze at the cozy cones too. Mmm! It was nice to slowly walk through stores and look at all the merchandise, not just what my kids want to look at. I also finally got to look at all the menus at the Cozy Cones I really wanted to try the pomegranate vodka drink, but at the time we were there I was super hot and thought alcohol probably wasn't the best idea. We LOVE Trader Sam's. We like to go and at least get one drink there. It's so fun! Even outside is great, especially when they have live music. Even though we didn't this trip, we like to have a sit down dinner at the park. Either BB or Carnation.

Have a wonderful time!!

18. DizMe

DizMe <font color=darkorchid>Here we gooooo...<br><font

A spot I visited for the first time last week is the lounge above Wine Country Trattoria. It's an outdoor balcony above the wine bar and looks out over DCA towards Carsland. We had a wonderful time there (5 women), chatting and enjoying the view. My friend had this wonderful drink called the Godiva Chocolate Flight or something like that. You get 3 little glasses of different Godiva liqueurs. In the top of each is a strawberry with a little glass gizmo that infuses the strawberry with the liqueur. Hard to explain, but it's pretty and not that pricey! I think it was $9. I'll look for a photo.

Downstairs, they have wine tasting and port tasting. The port is paired with cheese. They used to have port and chocolate tasting but that's no longer offered, though they told us you could bring your own (Ghirardelli is right there!) and do it. The cost for that isn't much and it's fun. You get your own wine maven telling you about each type.

It's also fun to sit by one of the outdoor fireplaces (one at DLH and one at GCH) or any of the indoor fireplaces.

Check out the swing dancing at the Princess theater in DL! Very cool.

19. DizMe

DizMe <font color=darkorchid>Here we gooooo...<br><font

Here's a picture of that Godiva thing:
    [​IMG]

20. aleighc1

aleighc1 Mad in Wonderland

THAT is going on our must-do list now!!!!

Thank you for all the suggestions, this is great! I'm so excited for this trip, I just wish we could have had two days instead of only one. (alas, I have a midterm the day we fly home so I had to book an early flight and will be cramming on the plane)

21. Mast115

Mast115 Earning My Ears

My wife and I always try to do a different tour when we are kid free- usually you get to learn a few new things, plus get on a few rides as well