Favorite resort at Christmas???

goofy4tink

No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator
I never thought this would be an issue in my family. But, my dh (who before our trip in August just didn't get the whole Disney thing!!) has said he would love to see WDW at Christmas. So, not one for waiting for him to change his mind, I'm jumping right in. We'll be going in 2004, the week before Christmas, leaving on the 23 for home. What are your favorite resorts at this time as far as Christmas decor goes?? We liked the Polynesian but don't think we want to do it at Christmas. And my dd has a real dislike of GF for some reason. Any thoughts??

Last year was our first experience with Christmas festivities in WDW. We stayed at the Dolphin, nice, huge tree in lobby with a train. The GF took our breath away, the Gingerbread House was wonderful, and the music, a bell choir was so good we were late for MVMCP. This year we're staying at the VWL, we've heard those decorations are the best, we'll see.:D

As with Bobbiwoz, last year was our first trip during the holidays. We stayed at the Polynesian during Thanksgiving... it was strange, yet SO fun, to hear Hawaiian/Polynesian Christmas music and see palm trees! We left PVD in the middle of a snowstorm, but spent Thanksgiving in shorts & t-shirts!!

It was nice to see all the different Holiday decorations and Christmas trees at all the resorts. We were able to see the Osborne Family lights at MGM, which are not going to be up this year, but hopefully will be back next year in a different location.

WL hands down!!!

All the resorts have neat decorations though. Mainly a matter of personal preference.

For me.. WL

The only resort that ever made my jaw drop is the AKL. It's not a classic Currier and Ives type of a decor, but incredible in a wonderfully exotic type of way.

For a more traditional look I think the Boardwalk is just awesome!

Anne

The GF and WL seem to be the Christmas favorites on the boards, although the GF seems a little better decorated over the holidays. Regardless, if the GF is not your cup of tea and X-mas decorations mean a lot to you, the WL is definitely the way to go!!

mariamouse :smooth:

Have to agree with Andrew 015 - WL. Sitting by the fireplace, sipping hot chocolate; and looking at the huge lobby tree is wonderful!

I love the Boardwalk over WL, but only because of the easy boat ride to Epcot. As for the decorations, absolute favorite is WL, but have to visit GF, all the Epcot Resorts, and, because of what's been said on this and other posts, AKL. All of the resorts are done up (even the All Stars).

STay at the WL... and visit the rest. It takes yourbreath away when you walk into that lobby and see that tree! the music they play is so warm and the atmosphere in the lodge is homey and elegant at the same time. It's to die for! You gotta stay at the WL - you will NOT be disappointed!

Well I agree with you on the Poly. Even though it is my all time favorite resort - something about the Polynesian theming & Christmas just doesn't seem right. I guess I'm traditional - hot chocolate, snow, etc.

So anyway - my family & I all agree that the best Christmas resort was Wilderness Lodge. The lobby is beautifully decorated and you have that amazing fire place to sit in front of. I guess because of its rusticness it evokes a more real feeling of Christmas.

All the hotels are decorated to the nines. Even the Poly. The only one we were disappointed with was OKW (where we stayed). Very low key. And even though you may not be a GF lover, it is definitely worth the trip over there to check out the decorations. I really wouldn't want to stay there either - but to hang out for awhile - that's great.

I'm jealous. Haven't done Christmas at WDW for a few years. Have a great time.

AKL and WL hands down. We visited the Poly to see the decorations there, and we were not impressed. It also felt like the Brady Bunch might walk through the lobby at any minute! I do not want to upset the Poly fans, JMHO:D

...for AKL :D We used the picture of our family in front of the tree...for our cards last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter