Favorite non-theme park Orlando attractions?

monkeybug

<font color=blue>I feel safer when I know where th
We are heading to Florida next week for a non-Disney vacation. We'll be in the Tampa area for a few days to check out Legoland, the beach, and Busch Gardens and then we are headed to Orlando for a few days. What are your favorite Orlando attractions? Favorite Disney non-park activities?
We've done Sea World and Universal and don't have plans to visit either of those on this trip. We are all looking forward to some down-time to just explore all those little things we miss while busy at parks.

DH absolutely loves Gatorland! We're renting a car for the day during our 10 day trip just to go there. That was DH only request for this trip. We've been there 2 other times and have always enjoyed it. Taking DSIL family on this trip. This time DH and all the teens are going to do the zipline tour.

If they like haunts, Legends - A Haunting at Old Town is good fun - I highly recommend it. They run Friday-Sunday nights from 7:00PM to 11:00PM. They also do a ghost tour on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights at 9:00PM. Both are very entertaining experiences.

You can also wander Old Town which has some interesting shops, restaurants and bars. They do different themed car cruises on various nights of the week. It is kind of cheesy, but a decent way to kill an hour or two one evening.

Last edited:

The wonderworks building is pretty fun. I don't think it's unique to Orlando but it's something to do. Old town is also interesting.

It's not Orlando but whenever I'm in Florida I always try to go to St. Augustine and blue springs state park. Getting to St. Augustine is a nice drive if you drive up the coast.

Madame Tussauds and the Orlando Eye on I-Drive are opening May 4th. What about an airboat ride?

We like to play mini-golf at the different Pirates locations around the area.

Not Orlando, but we love Kennedy Space Center. A full day for us, we could actually spend 2.

My kids really liked the airboat ride we took, but it looks like you have a real little one so it might not be practical.

Not Orlando, but we love Kennedy Space Center. A full day for us, we could actually spend 2.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. If you haven't been there for a while, things have changed quite a bit.

We are fortunate to be able to see the launches (tiny, and only briefly) from our side yard in Vero Beach. It's still exciting!

The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art, in Winter Park. It is home to the world's largest collection of Tiffany stained glass works. IME, even young kids are mesmerized by the beauty of the colors.. http://www.morsemuseum.org/

One of the most absolutely stunning and beautiful areas of the US are the Springs of Central Florida. In the Orlando area, that would be Rock Spring at Kelly Park (best tubing), Blue Spring State Park (best swimming), Wekiwa State Park (best canoeing and hiking), Deleon Springs (historic grist mill and pancake house), and a bit further north in Ocalal National Forest there are Juniper Spring (most beautiful), Salt Spring (best snorkeling), Alexander (most natural) and others. They are tropical paradises, eye-popping beauties, each with unique features.

Even better is that the cost is about $5 per car, unlimited fun.

For most people the shock is that the water is cold. It is a constant 72 degrees year round, so it takes some getting used to. Some are so beautiful, and it is not practical to even get into the water.

I would say they are a natural highlight of the our country.

In addition, there are two other places to consider:
the Morse Museum of Art in Winter Park has the world's best collection of Tiffany glass, including installation pieces that were rescued form the Tiffany home in New York when it burned down. There is an entire Tiffany chapel as part of the museum.

The other place I will give a shout out to is Eatonville. Eatonville was the home of prominent African-American writer Zora Neale Hurston and was the first AA incorporated town in the US. It is a VERY humble place. There is a small visitors center with an exhibit, and there is a pamphlet with a walking tour. There is nothing sensational about Eatonville, but it is an important historic town right there in the Orlando area. To find it rewarding, you have to be open to exposing your kids to that kind of knowledge, which has nothign to do with thrills and chills.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter