Favorite non-fiction books about the Disney parks?

Discussion in 'Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music' started by Babbletrish, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Babbletrish

Babbletrish DIS Veteran

Book for the Disney World geek! I'm hoping to find some I am currently unaware of, since the history of the Disney parks is so fascinating.

My list of favorites begins and ends with the Unofficial Guide, but the Guide editors also wrote a history of Disney World that is, sadly, a little hard to find now. Interesting read though, it details some of the strange things that happened during the Eisner era.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. santadog

santadog DIS Veteran

I just got a kindle, and downloaded "Mousejunkies!: Tips, Tales, and Tricks for a Disney World Fix: All You Need to Know for a Perfect Vacation"

It's a pretty entertaining read

4. ChrystalUnicorn

ChrystalUnicorn Mouseketeer

Passporter's Walt Disney World and the Unofficial Guide are my faves.

5. lamb616

lamb616 DIS Veteran

I recently read The Keys to the Kingdom: How Michael Eisner lost his Grip and just got Disney War out of the library. Can't wait to start reading it. Interesting stuff!

6. teekathepony

teekathepony DIS Veteran

Definitely the Unofficial Guide for me.

7. SimonCharles

SimonCharles Earning My Ears

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I love all of the extra information the unnoficial guide has.

8. mike7184

mike7184 Earning My Ears

Alice In Wonderland

9. mousterpiece

mousterpiece Mouseketeer

I'm a fan of David Koenig's books. They're definitely more historical, going all the way back to the development of Disneyland in the early 1950s, but if you're interested in reading about how the parks have operated in the past, and how they've transformed into what they are now, I'd recommend looking into his works.

10. gcferg

gcferg Mouseketeer

Just read in the last couple of months three books that I enjoyed.

1. Four Decades of Magic: Celebrating the First Forty Years of Disney World by Chad Emerson - This book is a series of short essays on disney world from the monorails, to rides, to resorts that never came to be. Very interesting for the Disney Fan.

2. The Vault of Walt by Jim Korkis - More focused on Walt Disney himself with some very interesting stories with personal interviews from Disney employees who worked with Walt.

3.Project Future: The Inside Story Behind the Creation of Disney World by Chad Emerson - A quick and easy read about how Walt secured the land for Disney World.

If you want ride specific books try the ones by Jason Surrell. He has books on the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean. Two of my favorite rides. These cover the history of the rides and the transition of the rides to movies.

11. dkoerner27

dkoerner27 Earning My Ears

My current favorite is "the hidden magic of walt Disney world."

12. figment_jii

figment_jii DIS Veteran

I like the Imagineering Guides to Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios. I also like the Complete Walt Disney World (mostly for the pictures).

13. gillcrist32

gillcrist32 Earning My Ears

Frankly i say i don't like to reading books.