Favorite Names eta: The Baby's here!

Diznotyzed

It made Sunday Nights special
Inspired by the royal baby and the fact that my daughter is having our first grandchild in a few weeks. If you got to name a baby today, what ONE name would you choose for a boy and ONE name for a girl? Just curious, no way will I make any suggestions:ssst:

eta: I agree one name is hard, but if you only have one baby what would you choose? :)

edited May 31: Just back from staying with my daughter who had a baby boy on May 17th. They went with Sylvan John - my father's name and the father's dad's name. I love it!

Last edited:
Yikes - One name?

Maaaaybe Sylvie and Charlie. But...there are so many I like! :)

My twins are boy/girls, but if ds was a girl, he was going to be Charlotte Elizabeth.

DW vehemently objected to naming either of our daughters Jane. But that's what I'd pick if it was MY choice.

Kevin for a boy. It was either Kevan or Keven, but I've grown to dislike the oddball spellings of standard names.

One is HARD!

I always loved the name Anna for a girl - even before Frozen!

And Matthew for a boy (it's my youngest DS's middle name and a long time favorite)

DH and I chose names years ago...my favorite boy's name is Jason, but DH didn't want to name a child after himself.

Our son-to-be is Joshua William (William for my grandfather, DH's grandfather, and DH's father's middle name). It was a toss-up between Joshua and Matthew; DH just slightly preferred Joshua, and as much as I like Matthew, I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to name him after my deceased cousin (I felt it wasn't my place to do so when another cousin, his sister, was also pregnant with a boy).

A girl would have been Gillian Patricia (my mom is Jill and DH's mom is Patricia).

One of my granddaughters is named Callista - it is still my favourite girls' name.
For boys, I really like the name Declan.

Ursula (In my defense I like that name since the early '80s, before The Little Mermaid :) )

Kelly (yep, for a boy!)

DH says he would never give a boy a "girl"s name. And, seems no one like Ursula besides me. :sad1:

I'm a traditionalist. If we knew at the time that we would have all sons, I would not have chosen a different initial for the middle one. We have a Mark, a Daniel and a Michael. God forbid we were to have any more, lol, but I would go with Matthew for a boy and I still love Emily which was our girl choice all three times.

There are SO MANY girl names I absolutely love... not as many boy names.

My all-time favorite girl name is what we named our DD.

My all-time favorite boy name is what we named our older DS. I also really like what we named our younger DS.

(Their middle names are family names - DD's middle name is after my sister, older DS's middle name is my maiden name, & younger DS's middle name is after DH's younger brother.)

My current 2nd favorite girl name (& what I'd want to name another girl) is Claire. (Runner Up is Harlow - unique but not weird & not "overdone" yet.) I used to really like Erin as well.

I'm not sure on a current favorite boy name. I really like Craig. (Runner Up would probably be Sawyer.) In fact, I'd always planned for a 2nd boy to be named Craig Matthew - but, since "Craig" can't be shortened, it didn't work with our DD's & older DS's names. So we went w/ something else for our younger DS.

And therein lies my "problem" -

Our 3 children each have first names that can be shortened to a one syllable name. For example - Samantha/Sam or Matthew/Matt

So, while I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Claire, it doesn't come from a longer name that shortens to Claire or Clare. So I couldn't use it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter