Favorite Iphone or Ipod touch apps for kids

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by DebMcDonald, Mar 29, 2011.

1. DebMcDonald

DebMcDonald DIS Veteran

I've got my long awaited Iphone and I think I'm losing it to the kids. What are some of your kids favorite apps.

Our games that we play or have been recommended are:

Stack the states (Absolutely favorite)
    Cute the rope
    Sky Burger
    Angry birds

Will probably be getting stack the countries too.

I figure if they are going to play more than I do, I'd like them to be learning at the same time.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. disneyleslie

disneyleslie DIS Veteran

Tap Reef is my 11 year olds favorite :)

4. curlybop

curlybop DIS Veteran

Not really educational, but my 8 y.o. and 2 y.o. crack up at Tom the Talking Cat. They will both spend 1/2 hour or more talking to it. :laughing:

5. 3boymthr

3boymthr DIS Veteran

Well, none of these are educational and most of the were free (a paid app what's that?) but my kids love them....

Atomic Fart Button - yup, makes all kinds of gross noises kind of like an electronic whoopie cushion
    Talking Tom Cat
    Scoops
    Virtual Zippo :confused3
    The Shut Up Button
    Lightsaber Unleashed

A couple that I've had to remove because I didn't feel they were appropriate - Battle Bears and iGun.

6. Bren's Mom

Bren's Mom DIS Veteran

On mine are:

TS Mania
    Cartoon Network
    Tap Tap
    Doodle Jump
    new Hop version of Doodle Jump
    Nick Jrs A-Z
    Chop Chop Ninja
    Spongebob Marble
    Fruit Ninja
    Sunday Lawn
    Helmet Hero
    Angry Birds
    Angry Birds Seasons
    Angry Birds Rio

Nearly all of these were free. I check the free apps periodically. Sometimes they're not really good, so I delete. I think AB Rio is free right now.

7. rella's fan

rella's fan Mouseketeer

My eight year old loves music so I was going to get her the Garage Band app for her ipod touch but it's $4, just wanted to make sure it was worth it? Any body have this one?

8. BSil

BSil Mouseketeer

We have a bunch of the free games as others have said, but my absolute favorite app is Math Board. You can read about it here http://theikidsblog.com/blog/2010/06/14/top-10-educational-ipad-apps-for-kids/ . My daughter kept on counting on her darn fingers for addition and subtraction problems, because as far as I'm concerned they just don't drill them enough anymore. I have her take 2 X 25question quizzes a day after homework, or after dinner etc. Her speed and memory of certain combos has increased tremendously. I also started teaching her adding 2 and 3 digit numbers, carrying etc. The program will actually walk you through problems, and she can use her finger as chalk on the board which makes it "fun" for her. It is a cheap app, but absolutely worth the money.

My son loves all the Thomas the Tank Engine interactive books. I bought just about every single one of these now. The most recent Misty Island one is great. It has some neat puzzles/games/coloring activities built into it.

My kids also love to use them to watch Netflix (free app), and they can play the kid queue right on the iPad or the iPhones which is fun for them. Remember most the apps allow you to install on multiple devices, so you don't have to buy several copies of the same app.

9. poohfriend

poohfriend DIS Veteran

Red Ball
    Words with Friends

some frog application

10. emdav

emdav <font color=blue>If I scratch my left elbow, I hav

We love Stack the States. My kids have picked up quite a bit. We live in Arizona and were taking a weekend trip to New Mexico. My first grader was quite concerned and told me we shouldn't go to New Mexico because it "bothers Arizona." I asked her who told her that and she told me Stack the States. She was reading the word borders as bothers. :rotfl2: Poor girl thought New Mexico was going to pick a fight with us!

11. clori

clori DIS Veteran

What is the age/gender/grade of the kids?

12. DebMcDonald

DebMcDonald DIS Veteran

Girls, 7 & 10, grades 2 and 4.