Favorite Christmas Dinner Veggie Side Dish?

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Pygoplites, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Pygoplites

Pygoplites Mouseketeer

This year, we're doing prime rib and king crab (thanks, Costco!!) instead of our usual turkey and ham. Suggestions for a non-starch side dish? (already doing potatoes and gruyere/cheddar mac-n-cheese)

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MazdaUK

MazdaUK <font color=green>Curse this time difference!<br><

Braised red cabbage is good with beef and can be done in advance and reheated - if I remember right you just shred the cabbage and toss it into a large baking dish with a little sugar, seasoning and some liquid (very little -orange juice or red wine works well) and cook, covered with foil, until soft. My sister makes caramelised onions - cooked to melting soft - and cheesy leeks (but you already have a cheesy dish).

4. psammie1025

psammie1025 Mouseketeer

oven roasted veggies are great. A favorite right now is oven roasted green beans with garlic.

5. MazdaUK

MazdaUK <font color=green>Curse this time difference!<br><

Delia does a good oven-roasted veg dish - peel and chop the veg and mix with oil, fresh herbs and crushed garlic in a ziplock bag (which you close firmly!) and leave in fridge a day or so in advance. Then just tip into a dish and roast! Yummy:goodvibes

6. Pygoplites

Pygoplites Mouseketeer

Thanks for the suggestions! I love oven-roasted veggies. But the chef decided on kale with pancetta. :confused3

7. Docwoods

Docwoods Mouseketeer

To be honest,after hearing Prime Rib and King Crab Legs,who cares about the sides???Have a wonderful dinner!!!:goodvibes