Fave thing to do outside parks

stba2006

DIS Veteran
We are going to Orlando for 4 weeks next year :yay:
and I want to do lots of different things apart from going to the parks and was thinking maybe you guys could help with ideas
so....
Apart from going to the theme parks what are the best things that you enjoy doing when you go to Orlando

Old Town is definately a favourite of ours. It doesn't really pick up until the evenings so it gives a good opportunity to relax by the pool or get a bif of shopping done, then head down there for the evening atmosphere.
Thursday night is bike night and Friday/Saturday are car nights.
If I get chance later I will put some pics up that would show you better what it is like :goodvibes

Some from bike night

Florida2006344.jpg

Florida2006363.jpg

Florida2006358.jpg

Florida2006381.jpg

Florida2006374.jpg

And some of the cars

Florida2008559.jpg

Florida2008564.jpg

Florida2008789.jpg

Florida2008571.jpg

These are just a taster but I have plenty more in my trip reports in my signature if you fancy having a look in more detail.

Oooo, I didn;t know they did a bike night at old town, I will try and remember about that as the boys will like it.

What about a balloon ride, we did one and that was fab, or trip to mount dora, that' still on our to do list.

Depending upon what time of year you are going, you can also go and see baby turtles hatching, i think from memory this is April to May.

Shopping - millenia mall, florida mall, premium and prime outlets, walmart.

Bok tower gardens - We really enjoyed it here. Down hwy 27, Gardens and the tower plays a bell concert at 3pm daily.

On the way to Bok tower we passed the florida orange juice factory. Didn't have time to stop but maybe worth checking into - i'm sure they did a guided tour. I've also read of people going orange picking but not sure if August is the right time for this?

Visit Celebration. Have a stroll, sit on a rocking chair by the lake, have a kilwins icecream or eat at market st cafe.

Trip to kennedy space centre and cocoa beach.

Trip to tarpon springs - 'greek' fishing village north of clearwater. Famous for sponges!

We've also done Caldesi island as a trip from Orlando. Get the boat across from honeymoon island state park. Wins awards for best beach - lots of shells.

Again we have done Anna Maria island as a trip from orlando but it is a 2hr drive. Probably our favourite place in Florida.

We've also done Daytona and St augustine as day trips from orlando in the past.

Are you definitely spending all 4 weeks in orlando? Before our daughter was born we had a few holidays where we toured around Florida. The keys in particular are well worth seeing if you have time.

P.s Whereabouts in East lancs are you? I'm Nelson nr Burnley.

Same as Kenny, we enjoy an evening at Old Town.

Celebration, depending on time of year they do different events.

This Easter enjoyed a day trip to Clearwater, incl boat trip to see dolphins.

Another day(Sunday) we drove to Cocoa Beach then spent afternoon at Port Canaveral watching the fishing boats return while having a couple of drinks then waved off the 3 cruise ships at around 5pm.

Still want to do Hot air Balloon.

Couple of years ago we drove upto Savannah, Georgia, also did Fort Pulaski and Tybee Island, about 5 hours each way so better with a hotel up there for the night but we did it in the day.

Weekend evening at The Boardwalk, street acts like jugglers perform, or just going around any Disney hotel, especially at Xmas.

I just like eating! Lol. I must eat about 10 cows worth of steak when I'm over there!! :rotfl:

We did try Fantasy of Flight a few years ago though, which was cool if you have any sort of interest in aviation. Kennedy, Disneyquest and a trip to Celebration are all fun as well :)

My embarrassing answer is Walmart (or any shopping actually).

My not so embarrassing answer would be Winter Park in Downtown. They have a boat tour which is enjoyable and it is a lovely place to just wander around.

This year we drove to Lakeland - halfway between Orlando and Tampa, on the I4. The college there has a lot of its campus designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. You can find it on the internet. There are tours, we had a fabulous guide, and it is really beautiful. The buildings are amazing, and the town of Lakeland itself is delightful. It was a fab day out.

Pam

Assuming you are hiring a car - drive up to Winter Park. Just the other side of Orlando on I 4

There is a boat tour there that takes you for a trip around the lakes - looking at the millionaires mansions, Rollins College etc. Goes every hour all day long.

There are also quite a few shops , diners and restaurants there, Cheesecake Factory etc etc

another :thumbsup2 for old town, grab a beer and sit listening to the music if theres a band on , watch the locals enjoying themselves or go round to the fairground part and watch the mad ones go on the sky bungy thing!-well thats what we do!:laughing:
we also like Silver Springs :)
and we also go to the state parks-De leon springs (pancakes) Wikiwa
If you do go to Bok tower- go to spook hill as well :thumbsup2

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2058

When you go to Old Town check out the SkyCoaster.

If you click on the link in my siggy for our 2005 music vid you will see what it is all about ;)
DD was only 6 when we did this - but then she does have a crazy side to her ::yes::
And if you like that sort of thing have a look at the SkyVenture - which is based on International Drive close to the Universal Studios turn off. It's an indoors freefall experience and is great fun. If you look at their website, or in some of the coupon books you get from the retail outlets, you can sometimes get money off vouchers for it.

Kennedy Space Center

Downtown Disney

Shopping! (Ross, outlets)

Mini-golf (Pirate's Cove is awesome)

Silver springs (nature park with glass bottom boats etc)

Citywalk evening! (bob marleys is a great open-air place for a bit of dancing! although I had to order drinks with an american accent since they couldn't understand me!)

We def :love: the malls

Florida Mall :fantastic, we can spend a whole day there :thumbsup2

Mall at Millenia : great to have a look a round in, very fancy shops, Cheescake Factory

Festival Bay : RonJon makes this a must visit for any surfing fans ( DH cant surf but loves the clothing so its always a place where we spend a lot of $'s)

Premium Outlets: Discount Disney Warehouse :woohoo:, a must visit place for Pin traders :goodvibes we found loads of pins at bargain prices (events pins too), we ve got some great bargains from there on Disney clothing too

Always enjoy a trip to Kennady Space center too:cool2:,( dont think my DH enjoys it though;))
I win him over with the Space Dots ice cream, its super yummy :cutie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter