father in law threw a kink in our plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOW, I have to find it in the budget to pay for parking, or find someone to take us to the airport.
Why do people do this!?:headache:

Over the years so many people have said Oh just let me know when you need to go to airport and then would would call them the excuses started:confused3 so decided would inquire how much a share ride limo would be and it is cheaper than a taxi in my area of Indianapolis. I really do not like leaving my car for two weeks in a parking area:scared1: and the cost is about the same and limo here on time to pick me up and when i come home it is there to bring me home and handles all bags:worship:

All thses board have been lately is a way for people to jump on each other, crazy. I ask for help when I feel like I neeed it. I was tempted to ask my inlaws for help but as we are now driving so that isn't a problem now.

Maybe you could find a friend that is need of a little cash...They drive you van and you pay them for their time. Come up with a reasonable amount that should be cheaper than the hotel! I would love to make about $50 to drive someone to the airport and pick them up. More $ to save for my trip:love:

hope you get it figured out!

Its not inexpensive when you live a hour away.

He's inconsiderate because we are on a TIGHT budget. TIGHT. There is NO wiggle room. Our flight leaves EARLY. And we get back around 7pm. And when tell someone you will do something, then back out, yes that is inconsiderate.

$15 a day for long term is NOT cheap.
Nor is $75 for Park ride n fly.
When you consider how much gas would be used for 2 round trips in the car made by the driver, it's really not that much more expensive to drive down and park the car yourself. I don't know how many miles you are from the airport or what kind of mileage your van gets, but 4 total hours of driving there & back then there & back again has got to add up to quite a few gallons. Heck, the way that gas prices are going, 20 gallons would be more expensive than the Park & Fly rate. (20 gals. X $3.85/gal. = $77).

Why do some people expect a free ride to the airport and then get upset when that person backs out? I think sheesh :sad2: to that. Your vacation, your dime. We never rely on people to take us to the airport, then there is no disappointment or resentment .

Yea its pricey but we just figure that into the budget. And in the 2 + trips we take a year, we have never had a problem with anyone messing with our car. (knock on wood) :rolleyes:
Again, I'm a big believer in helping out your family and friends. In my family, it would be a given that someone would step up and take you to the airport if needed and without expecting anything in return. So sorry that you don't have this in your life.:confused3

Also, I was raised to believe that when you tell someone you're going to do something for them, it's kind of shady to back out, barring something drastic happening. Apparently, not everyone has this in their values.:rolleyes:

Gee, all of you, harsh much?

If family and friends cannot be counted on for something as simple as a ride to the airport then the world is in a sorry state. OP, I hope you find an alternative that works for you and have a great vacation!

I have rented minivans just to get us to the airport.

We pick it up at LAX the day b4, then drop it off take rental car shuttle to gate and get on our plane.
When we arrive, we take rental car shuttle and pick up another... then drop it off that night or next day.

Cheaper than having a shuttle pick us up at home, but it is work and gas. I just hate having others go out of their way when I choose to take a vacation.

Again, I'm a big believer in helping out your family and friends. In my family,

Yes whenever possible it is a very nice thing, but to EXPECT it is another thing. And if I was going to get a ride from a friend I would be considerate and plan our flights accordingly. Last thing I would do is have our friend or family have to wake up at 4 am when they are doing me a favor.

I might remind FIL that he was living rent free in my home. If FIL was actually paying rent, the budget wouldn't be so tight.

Hope it works out for you!!!

He's inconsiderate because we are on a TIGHT budget. TIGHT. There is NO wiggle room. Our flight leaves EARLY. And we get back around 7pm. And when tell someone you will do something, then back out, yes that is inconsiderate.

I'm sorry, but I think you're being too hard on your FIL. Giving you plenty of notice to find alternative arangements is not inconsiderate. Expecting somone to drive 4 hours so you can go on vacation and save a few bucks is inconsiderate. Honestly, if you don't have wiggle room for an extra $100 in your budget, I wouldn't be going on the trip to begin with. However, since you're going anyway, I would scale everything back to the bare minimum (to save even more than $100)...counter service only, no table service meals, skip soft drinks and drink water only, drop hoppers if you have them, whatever you can think of. Unless you were planning on staying in a offsite motel and eating PB&Js for the week, I'm sure you can find a way to find an extra $100.

You're FIL living rent free is a separate issue from him being unable/not wanting to bring you to the airport, unless driving your family around is part of your agreement to him living there. If you feel he should be contributing something (money, helping around the house), that is a conversation you need to first have with your DH and then your FIL.

To the OP....if I lived closer to you...I would take ya! But we live just across the river from St. Louis MO. I wouldn't leave our vehicle at the airport either....My mom and her neighbor drive us in our vehicle and pick up back up in our vehicle...it works out soooo much better this way.

Totally know how you feel...it's always nice when someone drives you and takes your vehicle back home.

And when someone does tell you their are gonna do something.....they should stick to that!

It will work out......just be positive!

$15 a day for long term is NOT cheap.
Nor is $75 for Park ride n fly.
Understood. But several posters have given great suggestions for getting big discounts on Park & Fly options. Well worth investigating.

yah cause it was an option. Things NEVER come up... I guess I should of predicted my son having a blocked bowel, and 2 weeks later my 11 month old daughter stop breathing in her sleep and needing observation in the hospital.
Of course you shouldn't have predicted those, and it's great that they're okay now and able to travel. But your father-in-law DID give you a great deal of notice, i.e. time to make alternate arrangements - and there've been some wonderful suggestions for those, too.

There's an expression from when I was probably your age - if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem :teeth: Much cheaper than a park/stay/fly hotel would be a trusted friend to drive you in your minivan, perhaps for a small "inconvenience" fee. After all, few people really want to get up at 3 AM if they're not the ones actually traveling ;).

It could be worse. You could be that friend of the poster above who found herself stranded at an airport two states away when her brother refused to pick her up after she landed - not a month and a half in advance! Be creative, think outside the box. Work WITH some of the ideas here.

To the OP....if I lived closer to you...I would take ya! But we live just across the river from St. Louis MO. I wouldn't leave our vehicle at the airport either....My mom and her neighbor drive us in our vehicle and pick up back up in our vehicle...it works out soooo much better this way. Totally know how you feel...it's always nice when someone drives you and takes your vehicle back home. And when someone does tell you their are gonna do something.....they should stick to that! It will work out......just be positive!

Me, too!! Peace to you!

Maybe I'm reading her post differently than others, but I thought she just came here to vent about a disappointment involving her trip. It happens on all these posts...needing to vent. After reading that he promised to take you and he's living in your rental house, gratis, I see your angst/frustration. I wouldn't presume to judge the tightness of somebody else's budget. What's tight for one may not be for others. I hope you find a solution to this new twist in your plans. I don't know if you got FD with your package, but if you did, at least you don't have that worry.

Sometimes, and I don't know if this applies in your case, but there may be folks from your church who could help you with your transportation problem.

I did see on a search this:

http://www.midwayparksaver.com/ for $9.00/day. Not too awful.

Hope you get this worked out.

Yes whenever possible it is a very nice thing, but to EXPECT it is another thing. And if I was going to get a ride from a friend I would be considerate and plan our flights accordingly. Last thing I would do is have our friend or family have to wake up at 4 am when they are doing me a favor.

The FIL offered, then backed out. So, it's not like the OP just assumed anything. Also, he's living rent free on the OPs dime..giving them a ride is the least he could do.:confused3

OP- Have you looked into taking a River Valley Metro bus to University Park, train downtown and then hop on the blue line or orange line to the airport? sorry, didn't notice where you were flying out of. I did that once, took me about 2 hours to get there instead of an hour, but was by myself and saved me about $130.

Emergencies can and do happen even during travel - I really hope you have a backup plan for "some" wiggle room if needed. Otherwise with 6wks until your trip you need to consider options on how to make some.

The FIL offered, then backed out. So, it's not like the OP just assumed anything. Also, he's living rent free on the OPs dime..giving them a ride is the least he could do.:confused3

They are two seperate issues.

Expecting someone to get up in the middle of the night to drive you two+ hours to the airport is a bit much, non? Feeling entitled to it is even worse.

And once the cost of gas is factored in (since OP said they are using her van and her gas), it will be cheaper for her to drive herself and her family to the airport and park rather than pay for 8+ hours of driving.

OP has plenty of time to come up with an alternative solution.

My reply was to a post about "believing in helping out friends and family"

I have given dozens of rides to LAX even if I feel my SISTER could have booked a flight not right in the middle of MORNING LA RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC. It would be nice if the person asking for the the FAVOR could show a little consideration as well.

Again, yes it would be very nice to help out friend and family when they need a FAVOR. And yes it would be very nice if this man helped out when the family that is giving him a place to stay needs a FAVOR, but we obviously do not know ALL OF THE DETAILS of this family unit.

That stinks. I hate leaving my car at an airport if I don't have to. Maybe you can find a generous friend or neighbor to drive you? If not, I hope you find a nice, safe, cheap place to park!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter