Fantasy Western Feb 6 - 13 2016 feat. SWDAS *complete 12/31*

Sunday February 7th 2016 - Day at Sea - Formal Night

Slept in a bit today, especially compared to our past cruises where my kids were wired and 'starving' and took the youngest three up to Cabanas for breakfast and swimming. First thing we noticed, it was freezing - brr. It was also very choppy, I popped a gravol not long after that as I wasn't feeling so well. It was so windy. After eating the kids did go jump into the pools and aqua duck for a bit but as you see I was in a hoodie. No judgement on the sippy cup - it's 5pm somewhere and I am on vacation. :ssst:

412213299.jpg

DH got a SW coozie in his FE gifts, he used it every day :) Yes, this was before lunch! LOL
412213298.jpg

We had lunch in Cabanas again, wraps for Mom and then got them all changed. Adults had a private 2pm mixology class that I organized for our facebook cruise group and my oldest son was taking my daughter and O to the princess meet n greet since the times overlapped. Such a great boy!

Mixology was awesome, we were looking forward to the upcoming one on Thursday. Ashley was our bartender in Skyline and he was amazing. We made 5 different drinks in that hour, it was so much fun and I'm not ashamed to say Vacation Mama got a wee bit tipsy ;) After that I headed to the shops to take a look around and then back to the room to prepare for dinner, it was formal night.

412213302.jpg

We took some family pics in the lobby, tonight we'd be eating in Animators Palette, we love this restaurant. Unfortunately, while the food was amazing, the movement wasn't. Our stateroom was midship and I am prone to motion sickness, so it wasn't a good combination rocking back and forth back in AP. I made it through entrees, when I had to excuse myself from dinner and retreat back to our room for some meds and a nap, I missed out on the cookies and cream sundae. I was in the room for a bit, watching the superbowl. The kids came in to get on gear to swim, so I went up on deck with them. It was so busy, disney had chairs set up, blankets and a whole bunch of yummy treats up by Flo's, drumsticks, pulled pork on a bun. I wasn't feeling great, so I didn't partake but it smelled delicious. Once the superbowl was done, the kids went to change and disappear into their respective clubs - I went with hubby up to Meridian for a drink. During the evening, the captain shared with us that we'd be arriving into Cozumel a little later, that any excursions affected with a new meeting time would be notified - we were but only by like 30 minutes. So no sleeping in... I heard a few people wondering if we were going so slow due to the mechanical issue that occured the week prior, would we make it to Cozumel?

Last edited:
Great report so far. We're from Toronto too and I hear you about the dollar. How long did the drive take you?
Looking forward to hearing more.

We drove 17.5hrs the first day and about 7 the second,, via 77-79. We made great time the first day until NC with the wind and rain. The second day was 6hrs of rain and wind, DH drives for a living and he was on his toes. The way home was about the same - but we stopped a lot to shop and eat, not as eager to return to the cold lol.

Ugh...sorry about the motion sickness...I hope it didn't affect you too much on the rest of the trip. Actually when we went on a cruise a few years ago on the Wonder I found that AP was bad for that because no windows....

We're gearing up to go in April on the fantasy and we're scared of the dollar too. It sure sucks adding 35-40% on to everything.

We still have olive gardens here in Alberta :P haha.

Great trip report so far!!

Great report so far! Sorry you got sick! I was laughing at the OG posts. I'm heading to OG for dinner. There is one 10 mins from my apt. I feel the same way about Tim Hortons which I wish we had!!

Monday - Cozumel and a new pirate party

Woke up around 8:00am today, turned on all the lights so everyone would wake up and started to pack our day bag. We had booked the Fury Catamaran excursion through DCL, loved the fact that it left right off the pier and wouldn't be shoved into buses like sardines. Our new time to meet in the WD theatre was 9:15am vs our original 8:45a so we had time to eat breakfast in Cabanas (in case you are wondering still 1/3 on the ordering room service, eating breakfast and lunch in a restaurant at this point. Would that change?) and check out our approach into Cozumel.

Slathered everyone with sunscreen and headed down to sit with our group. Since we hadn't yet docked, we had a bit of a wait in the theater but once the gangways were out they started moving people out. Our walk was a whole two minutes outside to board the catamaran where they took our family pic, loaded us up with snorkel gear and off we went.

412213303.jpg

It was pretty choppy, :crazy2: I was hoping wherever we ended up it would be calmer - no dice. The snorkel place was only about 10 minutes away, the older children enjoyed it but my younger two did not. I ended up taking them back to the catamaran along with my friends daughter and some random child who was losing her mind with her Mom. :crazy:

After they got back on, I went out to snorkel for a bit, it would have been beautiful if it wasn't so choppy - I couldn't see much so I went back to the catamaran. They started passing out margaritas, beer and pop for the non-drinkers. We sailed a little further south when all of the sudden the staff started pointing and told us all to get to the front of the boat - were we going to have to jump overboard? No, we saw a pair of these! :cloud9:

412213305.jpg

They beautifully led us down the ocean for about 10 minutes, it was so amazing, DD cried from excitement. :lovestruc It didn't take long for us to reach the beach location where we'd make our final stop. We had to wade into the ocean to get onto the beach, it was helpful to keep your shoes off and put them once back on the sand. There were tons of chairs, bathrooms, and lunch you could pay for (we skipped it, except DH - $11.00us for a burger and two side salads!)

412213304.jpg

The kids loved the ocean and all the inflatables - we'd do this excursion again. It was about an hour later they called us back to the boat for our ride back to the ship where they had the kids up dancing and partying. So much fun!

We went back to the ship, back on board I think about 2pm-ish. We changed quickly, sent the kids up for lunch and to their clubs and headed out to check out Cozumel with DH. It was warm, a wee bit breezy - perfect weather day. We shopped a bit, took some pics with parrots and headed back to the ship. I don't really love the vendors, so we don't spend much time there. Grabbed some lunch once back on board and went to relax on the pool deck while the kids swam. :fish:

Dinner tonight was in Enchanted Garden, as usual -- the food was amazing. Kids took off early to hit up the clubs before the pirate party and then we picked them up to go see Freddy Fusion's magic show. After that we wandered around until it was time for the Hunt Fer Jack - it was so different without fun fireworks and it wasn't crowded at all. The two younger kids went back to the room for bedtime cookies & milk and went to bed, they were exhausted after all the swimming that day. We went down to grab some appetizers and then to the tube for karaoke and then meridian for a bit. :rolleyes1

Up next... different view of Grand Cayman... and getting that much closer to SWDAS. :darth:

Oh, I cant wait for more. We will be on the SWDAS 4/16.

Beautiful picture of the Dream. It brought a smile to my face thinking of fun memories

Tuesday
Today we'd be in Grand Cayman for the day. Woke up this morning about 8:30 and headed up to Cabanas for breakfast. The captain came on and said we wouldn't be tendering from the regular location on the west side of the island but rather from the south side, with a 15-20 minute ride via shuttle to Georgetown, we'd be sharing the shuttle with the two other ships anchored there and to expect delays. Since we didn't have an excursion planned, I made the decision to stay on the ship and relax. We went swimming, hit up the hot tub, did laundry and watched snow white on the funnel vision - had a really relaxing day.

Best way for a morning coffee

IMG_2364_zpsz84hhfra.jpg

IMG_2355_zpszfpslmlm.jpg

Dinner tonight was in Royal Court and it was the Prince & Princess menu (with an indian flare at our table). After dinner, we went to see The Magic & Illusion of Mike Super which was amazing and so funny. Post show, kids went back to the room to watch movies. Adults went to the Tube for 80's challenge, which we sucked at and some dancing. It was a really great day "at sea"

IMG_2407_zpsqqcpxb1e.jpg

IMG_2387_zpspskq6nyz.jpg

IMG_2418_zps9fltm9hb.jpg

Bought the TShirt...
IMG_2436_zpse4evirsy.jpg

Up next, Star Wars Day at Sea and who danced all night long??? ...

Wednesday - pic intensive!

I know, I know, this is the day you've been waiting for! I'm going to start out by saying we had a GREAT day, so if you're looking for negative reviews - look elsewhere. I will say that I was disappointed in no cantina in the bar, but we did our own fun pub crawl and closed down the tube at 2am. What a long but fun day!
Below are food pics, not just on SW day but all week. Decided to share it here so that my report isn't full of food I miss so terribly already :(
http://s270.photobucket.com/user/macleodzoo/library/Cruise Food

We woke up around 8am, so excited to see what the day had in store for us. I tried really hard not to read spoilers so some of the day would be a surprise for me. At some point during the week (I cannot remember for the life of me exactly when..) the tickets for the meet & greets appeared in our room. Because we had 2 connected rooms, we got tickets to all three of them. We were out on the pool deck for the next little bit, saw some stormtroopers while the kids swam. Bespin in the Pub was up first at 9:30am, we got a photo with Boba Fett, in the hallway we saw two imperial guards which of course hubby had to get a photo with. They took their roles very serious ;) We wandered around a bit before ending up in Royal Court for lunch (yay, finally off our bucket list!)
IMG_2442_zpshqgedfkv.jpg

Lauren and auntie Jackie
IMG_2506_zpslltooboa.jpg

IMG_2448_zpstp2nkt52.jpg

At some point according to photos we spent some time in Satellite Falls and trying the drink of the day - Galaxy in a Glass (not my fave at all) Tatooine in the DLounge was at 2pm, we got to meet C-3PO and R2D2 and then finally in the Tube was Dark Side at 4:50pm.
IMG_2508_zpslcth7g9k.jpg

IMG_2526_zps97yrla8o.jpg

We were the last in our time group to arrive Captain Phasma was there, but taking over for her at 5pm was Darth Vader. When we left DH was a little disappointed and asked the CM if he could get another ticket to meet Vader, she said to just scoot in line again as some people hadn't shown up yet for their time. Score - so DH and the kiddos got to meet everyone they wanted to, except one...

IMG_2515_zps7qqsitcd.jpg

IMG_2533_zps6qoqushg.jpg

IMG_2541_zpsiiumdyzb.jpg

After that we went out onto Deck 4, as I heard sometimes you see the characters walking up the port side and boy were they right - he couldn't stop for a photo so we took one on the run (literally!)
IMG_2550_zpsoxoez5in.jpg

Dinner was in Animators Palette and the new star wars menu - I have to admit our group ordered a lot of food as we wanted to try everything - sand people salad, beef empanada's (DH ordered more), mos espa sandwich, flatbread was all passed around the table. I think I had the nerf steak and the sundae for dessert - it was so good and a welcome change from what is normally offered. After dinner most of our party went to watch the Force Awakens,DD went to make Chewy cookies and I wandered around listening to jazz music, taking photos and then went to grab some space for Summon the Force. The show was awesome, but I have to say I preferred the pirate fireworks - either way it was fun.

We grabbed some snacks at the star wars buffet and then took the kids back to the room to watch some movies, we adults were on a mission. Tonight was our "unofficial" pub crawl, since I had told them ahead of time no one wants to be hungover on Castaway Cay, this was our last night to do it. Started out with a drink in La Piazza, which actually was playing Cantina music, there was no special drink menu or anything but still fun. They were getting ready to close so we wandered over to Skyline so Ashley could make us chocolate martinis. They were pretty strong and we were pre-drinking during the SW day so it didn't take much to get us in the mood to go dancing. We shut down the bar at midnight and then hit up the Tube where we danced until almost 2am. There was really no one in the bar, which meant we had the dance floor to ourselves. Apparently we were outside at Meridian after that, as photos prove, but not everyone in our party remembers that ;) Amazing day at sea!

Up next... MORE mixology?! My liver is crying for mercy! Our last day at sea

Following as we are doing the same itinerary in Sept even though it wont be a SWDAS but same ports. We were looking into doing that excursion also and glad you posted about it. WE do need to stop at the Mega Mart in Cozumel right by the port to get my dd who will be turning 5 on the cruise kinder eggs since they are illegal in the US. Thats the ONLY thing she said she wanted to do other than all the princess gathering meet and greets.

Is the February weather/temperature too cold to swim on the ship pools and on the western carribean beaches- Jamaica/ Mexico & grand cayman- also did you enjoy the beach at cast away cat or too cold to stay in the water?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter