Fantasy April 28- May 5- From a First timer..

xcitedtogo

Earning My Ears
OK, so I am not into writing a full blown trip report because frankly, I spend too much time on this board already but I wanted to give people who are new to this fantastic website a bit of my "reality".

My family consists of Myself, DH, DS 10, DS 8, DD 4 and Grandma!. We just completed a trip that consisted of 3 nights at Pop Century and the parks and a 7 day Western Fantasy Cruise.

I am going to start by saying I am not knocking the parks as there are soooo many things to do there but my kids would tell anyone, the most exciting part of our trip was the ship. When we do it again it will be just the cruise.

I will also tell people this, I found amazing tips and great sharing on this sight but I think that if you become too involved in the planning and overthinking, you will become dissapointed because there are some EXTREME expectations set by some posters. Again, take it all with a grain of salt and make your vacation what you want it to be. ( please do not flame me)

After rushing through (part of the problem) the parks and seeing what we could in 3 days, we relaxed and let Disney take care of our transportation. This was nice but we did arrive quite later than most and missed lunch and some of the stuff on the ship day one....not a big deal and nice after running in the parks...

Our rotation was ERAEERA and had us eating at Royal Court on both formal and semi formal night..it was cool but any rotation was good for us as I do not think it would have been a deal breaker.

Our wait staff was simply fantastic, in fact my kids cried on the last night they were so amazing. Our room host was good, not the cater to every whim kind but our room was clean and anytime I needed something he was more than willing to help.

I took an over the door hanger which started to scrape the paint so we took it down and did not really need it. There is more than enough storage space in both bathrooms. THE HAIRDRYERS are fine!!! I was worried but on the Fantasy it was as good if not better than what I had at home, do not pack one!!

Magnets on the connecting room doors are sufficient, no bungee cords needed.

I took a softsided cooler (not needed) and a hamper (also not needed) there is a laundry bag in the closet you can use to take your clothes to the laundry room.

Sea days in the pool were horrendous and my only dissapointment came from all of the adults who were in the Mickey pool...it is for kids people, and if they are wearing a pull up/swimmer then they are not supposed to be in there anyway. That would explain the 2 evacuations and cleanings that were needed on both sea days. The signs are posted everywhere and there are splash zones for smaller kids too..let them play there.

The chairs were not a big deal for us either but yes, people keep them reserved and are never sitting there but again, not a deal breaker for us. We went early enough or late enough for it not to really matter.

We had the early seating and this trip it worked well. We did feel a bit rushed to get back to the rooms to get 6 people cleaned up but we worked out a system of the kids heading to the club while the adults got ready and my daughter would have never made the late seating.

Food was amazing, I am not sure where some people eat on a regular basis but there is absolutely NO comparison to a meal on the Fantasy to any pub grub, family restaurant or even fine dining out there...again, my opinion.

I encountered only one rude Server on the entire 7 days and as I grabbed a plate to grab some cookies for my kids she snapped that she would get what I wanted and I told her I was only getting cookies...but again, not a big deal and it would not have ruined my trip!!!

We took advantage of many of the things offered but did not get to the D lounge or mini golf very often. Kids liked the club/lab and all stayed together but did different things...NOTE - the Toy Story Boot Camp Green Soldier scared the crap out of my daughter...it took her a bit to want to go back.

We had a drink in every bar to experience it and it was nice. We also brought our own wine on board for in the room. Ordered room service on occaision and it was quick and good.

We did an excursion on Grand Caymans - island tour and turtle farm and that was enough for us there.

We did our own taxi to Paradise Beach in Cozumel and shopped a little after - was enough for us there.

We did not get off the ship in Costa Maya- no interest and had an amazing day on the ship!

We LOVED Castaway Cay and played on the beach all day - rode the bikes (some with training wheels for little ones) and had a great time

Brent the tour director was amazing and the shows were really well done. Pirate Night was fun and I was glad the kids dressed up. The Genie from the shows was our favourite and the kids loved him!

Character greetings were great, get to princess gathering early, we were 3rd in line with 150-200 behind us...we got there 30 minutes before.

Avengers Midnight showing was a highlight for my hubby but boy was he grumpy the next day :)

All in all, the best vacation I have been on. We go on a least one trip a year to all inclusive which will now not even come close to holding a candle to this.

My biggest take away is this, plan your vacation but do not plan every minute. Allow for the "family fun" time and enjoy yourself. If you have been to disney, you know they do not do anything small and the cruise is absolutely no exception. We rebooked a dummy date and hope to cruise same time 2014. It gives me something to look forward too as there were no chocolates on my pillow last night...I told my husband it was his job!!

That is awesome! We have not yet been on a cruise. I hear they are wonderful but my husband thinks he will go crazy in the sea of people! Maybe one day.

We did an excursion on Grand Caymans - island tour and turtle farm and that was enough for us there.

How was this????? My Mom and MIL are doing this next Monday.

It was great. Our tour guide was Pilot and he was fantastic. My mom is 69 and not a big fan of being "hot" so the airconditioned bus was good and though it rainied, the turtle farm was great for the kids. They could pick one up and swim with them. You also stop at the beach for 15 minutes and the kids swam in the ocean for the first time. We are not huge shoppers so we looked at the port when we got back but really wanted to enjoy the ship!!

I can't wait to take a 7 day cruise! Thanks for posting.

Loved the trip report - thanks for the info....I'm also a first timer - going in Dec. And I tend to overplan the trip, and get stressed when things don't go exactly like I planned. So....I'll take your advice to heart and not plan every little thing :)

Please do, I think that in the case of Disney, if anything they know how to make a great time for anyone..enjoy your family and take some time to relax...after all youare on vacation!!! :)

Yes, it was at 12:45 and took and hour 20 so close to 2:30 when we got there...felt a bit rushed but we were able to get right in our staterooms and unpack so that was nice!

Did Pop Century have a hair dryer too? We are staying 1 night at Pop Century before our cruise. Thanks!

Pop had the smaller on the wall hairdryers...but good enough for 1 night. The Fantasy has a full plug in the wall powerfull one.

Yes, it was at 12:45 and took and hour 20 so close to 2:30 when we got there...felt a bit rushed but we were able to get right in our staterooms and unpack so that was nice!

Was this the only time the bus was running to the port?

From our resort yes. the luggage was picked up at 8am and the bus did not come until 12:24...there were 2 buses actually at the same time.

We where on this same cruise and you are so right it was much more relaxing than the Parks.

We did the late seating and my DD who is 5 held up great. A few afternoons we did get naps in.

Our cabin was 6548 and liked it so much we booked it for next year. We thought about the Eastern cruise but decided to do the Western again.

Yes the biggest disappointment was adults sprawled out in the Mickey pool and the evacuations of it because people THOUGHT their child wouldn't have an accident. Please if they are not toilet trained don't put them in there!

Ugh...totally agree with the Mickey pool...I sat on the side since there were no chairs left nearish to watch my daughter...that was fine, I was not really in the water at all and when it got really busy I stood by the side.

We were 7544 and 7546 and loved the area but will try to move a bit more mid ship? so when we take the elevators we do not come out into the adult only section..do not want to anger the masses!!! ;)

We are going to cruise again in the spring of 2014 but I am finding it hard to wait for itineraries to come out to plan as I want to go back NOW!!!

Thanks so much for your review, we will be first time cruisers on The Fantasy in September and are really looking forward to it, we have very little idea what to expect.
The planning was one thing I was worried about, thought overplanning could lead to disappointment, so have pulled back a little and will let it be :thumbsup2

I liked knowing what to expect at some parts but left room for the unexpected? With the DIS boards there is soooo much great information and then there is literally overkill...lol I think the kids set the tone of our trip. My 8 year old told me just this morning that he really enjoyed the kids club and he wished he would have spent some more time there lol...funny how 3 weeks later they are still excited about it!!!

This was by far the best trip our family has ever been on and I think it was because we all figured out early in the week, that we would not be able to do EVERYTHING...and it was an excuse to book another one!!

Have fun and enjoy your vacation, that was the best part of it all...it was an actual VACATION!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter